How are announcers at DCI events chosen

Was at the Music In Motion Show at Giants Stadium on August 2. Could not believe how unprepared the announcer was. He was always late in asking Drum Majors whether their Corps was ready or the Drum Major just gave up and started the program and then the announcer asked him or her whether their corps was ready after they started. He had no energy. I'vd been to many DCI shows and have never heard an announcer who sounded so unprepared. Who hires them? He made other mistakes but I just mentioned the glaring ones. He was always behind what was happening on the field. Even when the Holy Name Alumni Corps and the current Corps ended their program there was no announcement stating the end of their program, so they just marched off. Hopefully the announcer at this event was substituting for the announcer who was originally booked to do the event.

My question: Any feedback on who hires them and holds them accountable for the job they do.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know who gets the announcers, and they might well be volunteers.

But I did want to make sure you knew that a lot of the corps this year are starting their shows before the announcements on purpose, as a "pre show". Cadets, Crown, Spirit, and Crossmen do this, and probably some others as well. And at least one corps doesn't even have their drum major salute.

it's up to the show host.

however...Fran Haring is among the best...really in the top 2...of drum corps announcers out there. Even Barry at Allentown, who does other shows had issues.

but really, IMO, when it comes to drum corps voices there are 2:

Brandt Crocker

Fran Haring

and then there's the folks that do other shows

lol, confused by the pre-shows I see.

triplecrownforever is not the only one confused by the preshows. How do the announcers and judges know when the actual show starts?

triplecrownforever is not the only one confused by the preshows. How do the announcers and judges know when the actual show starts?

I believe the staff is telling the announcers when to say each line in their script.

Judging starts right after "presenting their 2009 program **CORPS NAME HERE**"

Generally the announcers are actually on the field, not in the press box. Someone from the corps staff wil be standing near the announcer and give the appropraite cues. The announcer at finals will know the shows, i guarantee it.

and...as i noticed a few times in Allentown...it helps if the staff pays attention and doesnt BS w/DCI folks or fellow staff

it's up to the show host.

however...Fran Haring is among the best...really in the top 2...of drum corps announcers out there. Even Barry at Allentown, who does other shows had issues.

but really, IMO, when it comes to drum corps voices there are 2:

Brandt Crocker

Fran Haring

and then there's the folks that do other shows

:tongue:

I agree with Jeff here. If Fran had an off night on Sunday, it might be the result of the show he did on Saturday in Scranton, where he did yeoman's work as is his style at the Parade of Champions. :inlove:

Jeff's right - It's Brandt Crocker, Fran Haring....then everyone else. The only other I would put in their category would be the long time voice of DCM - Joe Bruno (Mr. Phantom Rrrrrrrrrrrreg-iment !) :thumbup:

Sorry to the OP if he didn't appreciate my main man Fran!

Pat