How are announcers at DCI events chosen

Brandt Crocker is great. I know he's done all DCI Finals after Montreal except for 1986 and 1987. That fellow wasn't very good. He was the one who yelled about the booing at '91 Preview, and sounds like he's 104 years old.

Brandt, though, is a Cavaliers homer. Did he march? Check the 1992 scores when they 1st won. He absolutely screams their name like he's crying. He's NEVER that excited when any other corps wins (not even the 2 huge upsets: '88 Madison and '08 Phantom). And in 2002, he referred to them as "undefeated" before announcing their score. He didn't do that w/ 1994 Devils or 2000 Cadets.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he had to scream in 1992 dude. he couldnt have been heard otherwise ( and i was there)

and yes, he gets excited for others

and yes, he gets excited for others

Just the way he announces Phantom.....love it!

If Brandt's a homer for anyone, I would think it would be Troopers....I think his son marched there.

I remember reading one time at either quarters or semis he said "Drum Major (name), and my son (name), is your corps ready?" because Troop wasn't making it out of that round and it was his kid's ageout show.

My favorite announcer was whoever worked the Drum Beauty show. I don't even know if they have that show anymore, but the announcer would extend it out wonderfully.

"Welcome to Druuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm Beautaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!" That was always my favorite.

it's up to the show host.

however...Fran Haring is among the best...really in the top 2...of drum corps announcers out there. Even Barry at Allentown, who does other shows had issues.

but really, IMO, when it comes to drum corps voices there are 2:

Brandt Crocker

Fran Haring

and then there's the folks that do other shows

I would put one other in the great announcer for a show category. I'm not sure how many shows he announces but he'd be one person I would expect to know what is going on. Dan Potter did a great job in Edmond.

I figure living in Tulsa had something to do with him being available. :blink:

Dan Potter is the heir apparent at DCI. When Brandt Crocker finally decides to retire, Dan will slip right in that void during championships. Dan is like Jay Leno to Johnny Carson. Just waiting. I think Dan Potter is great. Very radio friendly voice and very powerful.

I also enjoy Steve Rondinaro when he announces. He does NightBeat in Charlotte most years. He's a very interactive announcer and really can get a crowd to respond.

My favorite announcer was whoever worked the Drum Beauty show. I don't even know if they have that show anymore, but the announcer would extend it out wonderfully.

"Welcome to Druuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm Beautaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!" That was always my favorite.

That sounds a lot like Joe Bruno...."the Blllluuuuuuuuueeee Deviiiiiiiiiiillllsssssssssssss"

I don't know if he was still around in your era, tho....I think he's passed.

That sounds a lot like Joe Bruno...."the Blllluuuuuuuuueeee Deviiiiiiiiiiillllsssssssssssss"

I don't know if he was still around in your era, tho....I think he's passed.

I remember Joe Bruno back at DCM in the '70s ... He announced the score for the Fox Valley Raiders (a 19.something) with the volume and enthusiasm usually reserved for a world champion.

He was awesome.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Paul Cain ... He had quite a run in the '90s.

Dan Potter is the heir apparent at DCI. When Brandt Crocker finally decides to retire, Dan will slip right in that void during championships.

Dan is great! But I hope Brandt Crocker finally retires in MANY, MANY YEARS. He is "The Voice of DCI" without question. I saw him at the Centerville show working as contest director. I kept hoping he would go over and make at least one introduction...but didn't happen.

I have also been impressed over the years with the announcer at the Toledo, Ohio show and I think he's also done some of the Columbus, Ohio shows. Best of the local show announcers I've heard.

Some of them have been VERY BAD and it certainly takes away from the show atmosphere.