How are announcers at DCI events chosen

I remember Joe Bruno back at DCM in the '70s ... He announced the score for the Fox Valley Raiders (a 19.something) with the volume and enthusiasm usually reserved for a world champion.

He was awesome.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Paul Cain ... He had quite a run in the '90s.

Wasn't Paul the guy who did the "Corps Xyz, YOU may enter the field for competition."

Always enjoyed that guy :-)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's up to the show host.

however...Fran Haring is among the best...really in the top 2...of drum corps announcers out there. Even Barry at Allentown, who does other shows had issues.

but really, IMO, when it comes to drum corps voices there are 2:

Brandt Crocker

Fran Haring

and then there's the folks that do other shows

I am with you on this one Jeff.

And for the old timers ...

• Wes Hobby in New England (I know I'm spelling his name wrong). He always said, "Well folks, that narrows it down a bit", after announcing the third place corps.

He did the 71 World Open...I have him on DVD of our performance! :blink:

He is also the narrator on the 'Through the Years' album I have.

Dan Potter is the heir apparent at DCI. When Brandt Crocker finally decides to retire, Dan will slip right in that void during championships. Dan is like Jay Leno to Johnny Carson. Just waiting. I think Dan Potter is great. Very radio friendly voice and very powerful.

Dan did a great job at the HNC alumni event Saturday evening at Montclair State U.

I remember being at my parents' house a couple of years ago and my dad was watching something on TV and the announcer started listing the names of the participants of whatever the sport/show was and all of a sudden I stopped what I was doing and shouted, "Hey that's Brandt Crocker." It was very odd to hear his voice outside of the drum corps arena.