The running start

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of corps like it because it allows them to build the atmosphere they want for the show right away.

If it means it makes shows last 13 minutes... more drum corps is good. What else are ya gonna do, sit there and watch them set up?

Edited by alarson83

I really like the added time. It is alot more fun than just watching them setting up guard equipment and the pit. And 12 1/2 minutes of music as opposed to 10 1/2 minutes of music, I feel like I am getting more value for the price of my ticket.

I don't think it's meant to have the same impact as before. The earliest I know of is Cadets 03 doing this (could have been done earlier though), and once enough corps jumped on the band wagon it became an intro rather than a running start. I thought this was why they changed the announcer's speech, to better coincide with this.

I think a lot of corps like it because it allows them to build the atmosphere they want for the show right away.

If it means it makes shows last 13 minutes... more drum corps is good. What else are ya gonna do, sit there and watch them set up?

But then it leaves extra space in the show for that unnecessarily long perc feature, or choppy opening movement that lasts forever, etc...I feel like the 12 min limit is good for the corps. There is not enough melodic flow in the shows today and eliminating the unnecessary musical elements will make the programs more interesting.

More drumcorps.....more betterish! :)

I prefer the running start over the alternative......

"MIKE CHECK 1,2! CHECK 1! Check 2! CYBILANCE!" <did I spell that right?"

I don't think it's meant to have the same impact as before. The earliest I know of is Cadets 03 doing this (could have been done earlier though), and once enough corps jumped on the band wagon it became an intro rather than a running start. I thought this was why they changed the announcer's speech, to better coincide with this.

Cadets 89 for sure did it.

The first time I saw this was in Allentown in '89. The Cadets used it and it has never been more impactful than at that show. Its likely never gonna work as well as it did then, but that doesn't mean its time to stop, in my opinion. I like it.

Imagine the first time somone did a company front. At this point it would likely be impossible to know when and where it was first used, but I'll bet it kocked some socks off or possibly inspired a caveman to invent a wheel or something.