Drum Corps in TIME Mag Online

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, some drum corps got into TIME and yet everyone STILL finds something to ##### about? Can't we all just be happy that the list is on something so widespread?

All I can say is it's some good PR, no pun intended for DCI. As much as I disagree with the amount of 2007 shows, I am pleased with the coverage. I was actually taken back when I heard TIME ran this, be pretty neat if it was in the print magazine which I doubt but none the less nice lil bit on DCI.

I think it's most based on whatever videos they could come up with on Youtube.

Hahaha always a solid source...

And I, for one, am not trying to whine about it.. I think the coverage is awesome, I'm just laughing at the choices a little. Besides, DCP complains about everything, don't we all know this? :laughing:

Okay, first and foremost, GREAT exposure in a reputable magazine. You HAVE to happy about that regardless of where you stand on the top 10 they chose.

01. 1980 Spirit of Atlanta

02. 1995 Madison Scouts

03. 2000 Cavaliers

04. 2000 Cadets

05. 2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

06. 2007 Carolina Crown

07. 2007 Bluecoats

08. 2007 Phantom Regiment

09. 2007 Blue Devils

10. 2008 Phantom Regiment

I don't think they did THAT badly. I have NO quibbles with #1-6, so the fact that they got a list that I automatically agree 60% with is impressive to me, and I can see an argument for the other 4 but also wouldn't quibble if things like Cadets 1987, Blue Devils 1994, Star of Indiana 1990, etc were substituted in there instead. But as someone else said, everyone is gonna have a different top 10 list. Lord, we pop up new top 10's every summer so I can't blame TIME for creating a list that is not universally approved.

Crumbs.

Demand more from your diet.

I think it's most based on whatever videos they could come up with on Youtube.

Yeah, it certainly felt that way.

The DCI Championships in Montreal did get a mention in the REAL (magazine) version of NEWSWEEK back in either '81 or '82. Unfortunately that was not a positive thing. An article on the new weather channel stated that the 24-hour station was desperate to fill its time, broadcasting forecasts for such "inane" events as the Drum Corps International contest in Montreal.

I wrote a letter to the editor on that one.