Can we say goodbye to ABSE tonight?

I, also pretty progressive about drum corps implementing electronics, am also offended by the use of synths to bolster hornline sound. When I imagined incorporation of synths into a drum corps show, I imagined people playing a synth like a piano, something that requires talent by a performing member. With that being said, I would like to compliment Glassmen (they weren't the only ones, but the one that comes first to my mind) for not using synthesizers in a cheap way. Whenever there were artificial sounds in their show, they had someone actually playing a synthesizer, not just pressing a button. That's how I imagined synths to be used. The "technoish" beat in the third movement was produced using something that a front ensemble actually drummed on using drumsticks which is pretty cool considering there was a much easier way to do this, but they chose not to.

I do hope that synths become less prominent in drum corps shows in the future, especially if they are being used in a cheap way. Every corps does not need a synth in their show. It's supposed to be an option, not a necessity.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tubas/contras have almost ALWAYS been doubled by something in the pit: low octave of marimba, timpani, etc. Big impact points have also always been enhanced by big concert bass drums. If none of that has bugged you (obviously the 'wall of sound' has been enhanced by percussion for a long time), why electronics?

I think it's very easy to be annoyed by something when you know it's going to be there, and you already don't like it. For example, it seems like just about every corps does a rotating, expanding/contracting box in their show. It now feels trite to me, and every time I see a corps do it I roll my eyes and look for it to be dirty so I can have another reason in my mind to not like the drill move ("ugh, I can't believe they're doing that move too: and it's not even clean" -rolls eyes).

If you're already a proponent of electronics, it's natural to be extremely more annoyed every time you hear electronics used.

Know that it's only natural for corps arrangers/designers to add in synth because they want 1) more low end and 2) more volume. They're going to use as many loud sounds at their disposal.

And they're going to double brass parts so the visual designer can stage anyone anywhere for maximum effect. Tubas a little bit too far for that important F phrase to be effective? Just double it in the synth. It's going to happen, and it will continue to happen.

How about this: if you like the brass, percussion, guard, visual package, etc, why not focus on liking those things and try to ignore the synth parts?

I know it's weird, and it's taken some time for me to not be too annoyed with it (doubling brass parts on synth). But it's a part of drum corps and it's more than likely not going away.

You're missing the point. It's one thing to double a tuba part with a MARIMBA, quite another to double the tuba part with a SAMPLED TUBA NOTE ON A SYNTHESIZER.

It's one thing to use a synth to emulate instruments not found on the field (strings, pianos, etc.), quite another to have to emulate something we already have 12-16 amazing young men and women blowing their balls and ovaries off with.

You're missing the point. It's one thing to double a tuba part with a MARIMBA, quite another to double the tuba part with a SAMPLED TUBA NOTE ON A SYNTHESIZER.

It's one thing to use a synth to emulate instruments not found on the field (strings, pianos, etc.), quite another to have to emulate something we already have 12-16 amazing young men and women blowing their balls and ovaries off with.

On the other hand, if it were properly done using Garritan as the sample, which uses an actually tuba instrument for the patch, I think it would be much better.

I don't think Synths can handle that kind of patch though. I know when I run it through Finale, my computer slows to a halt. I can't imagine a synth being able to produce that much memory.

This is going to be a fling, nothing more. Arrangers are going to see, rather quickly, what horrible samples sound like compared to real instruments.

Please, if you are going to do it, use a Garritan patch.

On the other hand, if it were properly done using Garritan as the sample, which uses an actually tuba instrument for the patch, I think it would be much better.

I don't think Synths can handle that kind of patch though. I know when I run it through Finale, my computer slows to a halt. I can't imagine a synth being able to produce that much memory.

This is going to be a fling, nothing more. Arrangers are going to see, rather quickly, what horrible samples sound like compared to real instruments.

Gotta disagree. The issue for me isn't the quality of the patches, but the authenticity of the wall of brass sound that defines Drum Corps. Well, percussion adds a thing or two but you get my point. It's like using steroids in sports. It cheapens the competition by using artificial methods.

What are you talking about. GARRITAN SUCKS!!! EVERY PATCH SUCKS!!!!!

Do you want to talk about Vienna Symphonic Library. It's alot better.

It still Sucks for DRUM CORPS!!!!

Let's talk some more about library patches.

It does not work for DRUM CORPS!!!!!!

What are you talking about. GARRITAN SUCKS!!! EVERY PATCH SUCKS!!!!!

Do you want to talk about Vienna Symphonic Library. It's alot better.

It still Sucks for DRUM CORPS!!!!

Let's talk some more about library patches.

It does not work for DRUM CORPS!!!!!!

notice the phrase I used about this being a fling in regards to impact points.

if, at some point in the show, having an artificial brass sound (ABS) is a legitimate effect, and using a brass instrument or group is not possible because of the drill design or concept, I see no reason why this should be a problem.

This was very evident in the theater I was at on Thursday night. One of the mid-pack corps, maybe Blue Stars, was over boosting their bass so much, the subwoofers were clipping.

For the record, the Blue Stars didn't have a bass part for their synths.

it wont be a fling. Look at Boa and other band circuits. Sadly it will be here to stay

So the synth players don't have talent? What about MalletKat players?

That's why I choose DCA. Where we do things the all-natural way that the drum corps gods intended.

Tubas (yeah...we still call 'em contras) should be near suffocation after blowing their bells off to fill the stadium with sound at the end of the show. NOT sitting on the ground or prancing with the color guard during the biggest "low brass" hits.

You sir...are the man....