Can we say goodbye to ABSE tonight?

I love this activity. I have embraced the evolution that I have seen since I first saw a drum and bugle corps 36 years ago. But, the line has been crossed.

When I heard brass lines using ABSE (Artificial Brass Sound Enhancement) on Thursday and Friday and even one of my all time favorite corps' 80 person brass line using it on a triple forte push, my heart just sank.

The brass sound has always been real. It must return to being real. May tonight be the last time we ever hear the wall of sound, that has always been synonymous with drum corps, be artificially enhanced.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Mr. Tracht.

I am for innovation and advancement of the marching arts, and for a non-adjudicated performance it wouldn't matter as much. But for a competition, the artificial sound really muddies the waters.

I agree that at the very least, DCI needs to re-evaluate what they are trying to acomplish, and ask themselves if they are being successful.

Edited by wvu80

And at the very least, maybe being in LOS for the next 9 years will help get live sound back. You don't need the amplification as much inside, so maybe it will be a blessing instead of a curse.

On the flipside, it allows for easier use of proper enhancement the way it was meant to be when it passed. Maybe it's a win-win for those who choose to use it correctly!

What is ABSE? Examples?

It is in the OP's statement.

Artificial Brass Sound Enhancement

With the synthesizers, you can use pretty much any instrument patch. So in order to "enhance" their brass sounds, a bunch of corps are using brass patches for the synths, pushing down the keys and turning up the amps as loud as they can go. If you ever hear a corps have a suspiciously strong low brass sound, and then you feel your seat physically rumbling and see a girl in the pit slamming down full-force on some piano keys, the corps is just using a "tuba" patch cranked up to 11 (about as loud as the hornline itself).

Edited by Hrothgar15

This was very evident in the theater I was at on Thursday night. One of the mid-pack corps, maybe Blue Stars, was over boosting their bass so much, the subwoofers were clipping. I could imagine the VU meters in the projection booth being pinned and the projectionist frantically reaching for the pot to reduce levels before the subs blew.

After asking to turn up the volume at the beginning of the show, we were a little embarrassed that we may have goaded her into damaging the theater's equipment.

Anyway, the volume was reduced for subsequent performances, pretty well ruining the rest of the night.

Sigh....what's happened to my drum corps.

By far, this is the most annoying use of synths across the board. Here's a friendly little tip to DCI's music arrangers - the patch labeled "tuba" does not sound like your tuba section, and it destroys the timbre of your brass ensemble when you crank it to 11 on every hit.

Almost every corps on the field did it last night. And it detracted from the music book in every single corps that used it.