Carolina Crown's Missed Opportunity to Win the Championship.

:tongue: Fire a designer that has helped propel Crown to a higher placement than they have ever achieved?? Sounds like a great idea. Bad alumni, shoo...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange original post. I love Crown's visual this year. Since the beginning of the decade Leon May has outdone himself every consecutive year.

There are sitting in 2nd place. Can you imagine what they have accomplished to be able to say that CC has at least reached 2nd place this year let alone what has yet to happen?

That is one friken impressive corps they have ! ! ! !

If Crown doesn't win this year, I blame the Blue Devils. :tongue:

You my friend are drowning in green Gatoraide. I promise you that the Cadets will pass Crown on finals night, leaving them in third. Don't get me wrong, I love Crown this year, very entertaining. But not nearly the demand of what the Devs and Cadets are doing.

You just mentioned BD and Cadets in the same sentence while referring to demand...who is drinking the green Gatoraide again? In fact, I want some of what you're having, because while I understand it's anectdotal, everyone I know that has seen BD thinks they may have their lowest demand show in the last 20 years.

I think characterizing Crown as "struggling," as the OP did, in any area is pure hyperbole. Let me establish that I'm not a huge Crown fan, but even I recognize that they've fought tooth and nail to get the credit they are due.

For the college football fans here, firing Leon May would be analogous to Northwestern firing Pat Fitzgerald after a trip to the Rose Bowl because the Wildcats didn't win the national title.

a couple years ago average age was about 18ish, 09 crown is older with I think average age around 20.3, then again, we are talking about a 20 year old crops that is going against some crops that's have been around for 50 & 75 years.

There is no way a 50 or 60 year old could march like that. :tongue:

But then again, maybe BD could use the Hover-Round chair instead of the white folding chairs.

This is Crown's best corps in their history. Being less than a point out of first going into finals is a tremendous feat.

Woohoo! And you're right. They should be PROUD Carolinians!

You wonder though, if Crown increases their visual demand/technique, will they lose that awesome hornline sound they have?

But they have all next year to work that out. I don't think Crown's visual is a problem. You have to take little steps. Corps don't just go from 5th or 4th to champions overnight. It can happen for those who have been at the top for years, but getting there in the first place takes time.

This has been a great landmark year for CC. 2nd or 3rd tonight they should be happy. They are going to beat 2-3 elite corps this year, something that wasn't expected at all when the season began. You could argue that beating Cadets in 08 put them on that level, but it wasn't exactly a stellar year for HNC. In 09 they are taking out groups that are having phenomenal years.

CC and their followers should look at tonight as a celebration of how far they have come and how good they now are. You never know, maybe the show isn't as good next year, maybe other corps step it up more...who knows!!! Enjoy where you are as it's a great spot to be in :tongue:

As a former member of Crown, I have been thoroughly impressed with their show concept this season. I think it is arguably (and knowing the tendency of Drum Corp planet, people with argue) the most difficult show being performed this year. I also believe they have the talent to win the World Title. However, talent alone does not a champion make. Crown is struggling visually and has all season. This is not the fault of the members' ability to execute. It is the fault of the visual designer. There are just too many parts of the drill where the members are leaning into sets and don't have the time to properly move from set to set. If you recall, Star of Indiana used to use the leaning into set concept of marching in their visual performances. Such a style is sloppy and very little can be done from a members' perspective to correct it. Therefore, Crown will lose this year because of visual design flaw, which is a staffing issue and not a member execution issue. After having said what I have, I want to say GO CROWN!!!! I will listen to this show for many years to come with pride that your brass line is the best and your percussion is strong. But please let the visual designer go.

No, Crown will lose tonight because it was "pre-ordained" after last year that BD would win this year! Has nothing to do with Crown or anyone else.

First off, congrats to Crown. What a great show (second favorite of the year). And Leon has done an amazing job if you ask me. But why is Crown a lock for 2nd or 3rd place now? Did I miss something here? Looking at last night, one would think their chances to medal are good. But I guess a lot of people overlook the possibility of them finishing 4th or maybe even 5th. Quarterfinals panel had 2-5 pretty close. With a different panel you just really never know. Either way, they've had a great season and should be proud. And I hope Crown takes the brass trophy.