DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

Steve Irwin is a very happy croc hunter right now !

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tongue::tongue::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Bottle dance?

Edited by wvu80

Shoes in the Dryer coming off the field, a Cavalier tradition for how long?

Are you implying that Cavaliers are a "pretzel" corps ????

G

They're normally not, but this year is different...

It must suck being the tallest person in a corps because they stick out especially when they screw up and almost fall.

Kevin - thinking ahead - could you try to get a picture of the crown in the drill when CC is on? They cheated us out of it in the theater. Thanks for being here - I enjoy your play by play at DCA too!

Shoes in the Dryer coming off the field, a Cavalier tradition for how long?

From the Cavaliers faq:

What is that drum cadence The Cavaliers always use when leaving the field?

It's called "Iowa".

Here is some of the history -- as remembered by FMMs Wayne Karge and Paul Milano.

Wayne Karge -- "The drum beat was not written by any of the instructors. A bunch of us were hangin' around the hall one night and a couple of the bass drummers were noodling with bass drum beaters on either the floor or one of the tables. They just sort of came up with the beat that night.

The next weekend when we were leaving the field they used it. The crowd immediately started clapping along and it has stuck ever since.

I believe this happened around 1964, or 1965. I know 1964 was the first year we started using tuned bass drums, which was a first to drum corps. This might have been the year, or it might have happened the following year, but it was sometime around then.

I know for sure Tom Hartig was one of the drummers and possibly Dave Hoppe was there that night. I remember this fairly well since I was there and I also know Bob Ross was there (two of the Andrew sisters, even though we hadn't been given that name yet.) I specifically remember Bob really "digging the beat."