What's happened to The Cavaliers?

Again, let me preface, I'm in no way saying coming in 4th is bad... hell, if that's your worst placement in the last few years that's pretty good. But from 2000 to 2006 The Cavaliers never placed lower than 2nd, winning 5 titles. Then in 2007 and 2008 they came in 3rd... and now 4th. I'm just curious, why the slip?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other corps are figuring it out and getting better.

I think they're in the process of adjusting their approach to shows. Non-original music was an excellent start in my opinion.

LOVED this years show more than any since 00.

I'm betting they get back solidly into the top 3 next year.

There were many great corps this year. Fourth in 2009 is not a drop off at all, they were great.

Everyone around me was shocked hearing SCV in 5th

Maybe someone with more knowledge can tell me if/how the departure of Jeff Fiedler changed things.

But notwithstanding that, I have a couple of thoughts.

Simple answer: I hear the competition's tough, baby, that's a pity ($1 to Rick Springfield).

More complex answer: The Cavies seem not to know where to go next with show design. For 7 years they were THE undisputed leaders. They tried a different direction with Billy Joel in 07, and it didn't work. The last two years have been more traditional Cavies theme-based shows which simply have not grabbed the imagination of fans or judges.

They will be back. BD went from 87 to 93 without sniffing a championship. As long as Cavies remain consistently top 5, they will have the resources to make a play when the right idea/staff member/combination of factors comes along.

4th is the worse placing since 1998 (which was 4th also).

Why does this question need to be asked?

There were 3 corps whose performances and show design were better in the eyes of the judges. That's OK.

They underwent staff changes and are redefining their sound and style under the new staff. They are trying new things and moving forward. That's a plus in my book.

Lord knows not many people on this board like The Cavaliers for one reason or another. They still had my favorite show on the field last night (with SCV being #2 and Crown being #3), and I will continue to support them in their future endeavors. The source music was fantastic this year and the corps performed the heck out of what they were given.

Edited by jaylogan

Why does this question need to be asked?

There were 4 corps whose performances and show design were better in the eyes of the judges. That's OK.

They underwent staff changes and are redefining their sound and style under the new staff. They are trying new things and moving forward. That's a plus in my book.

Lord knows not many people on this board like The Cavaliers for one reason or another. They still had my favorite show on the field last night (with SCV being #2 and Crown being #3), and I will continue to support them in their future endeavors. The source music was fantastic this year and the corps performed the heck out of what they were given.

Because I was curious? I'm a huge Cavies fan as well but I have noticed that what has been their biggest strength, their visual package and visual GE, has declined since 2006. I enjoyed 2007-2009 but I wasn't as wowed visually as I was the year's prior.