So why wasn't the roof retracted?

Apparently we were "misled" into thinking the dome would be open in Indy... then it came out it was in the contract for the roof to be closed. I asked numerous times as to WHY this is? Why have they built a retractable roof stadium where they seem to want to keep the roof closed more than they keep it open? Will it be closed for Colts games, too? What's the deal? Every other retractable roof stadium I know of keeps the dome OPEN most of the time and then CLOSES when inclement weather is coming. It seems like Lucas Oil is the other way around. Why is that?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw multiple answers:

1) There was a chance of rain and the field COULD NOT be wet.

2) The backdrop fabric wouldn't allow for outside wind, so they kept it closed.

Both seem reasonable, even though they both are full of SUCK

I think it has more to do with being fair for all corps. If they have it open for some and closed for others, it really wouldn't be fair because it radically changes the acoustics, among other things. And they can't just leave it open and have corps compete anyway even if there's not lightning because the field doesn't have sufficient drainage for that. The ONLY option is to leave the roof closed, really.

I'm sure they'll leave the roof open for Colts games and just close it when rain starts.

2) The backdrop fabric wouldn't allow for outside wind, so they kept it closed.

While I understand this I also find it a little bit of a roundabout by DCI... because the reason for the backdrop was to help with sound with the roof closed so the roof can't be open due to wind and the backdrop but if the roof was open you wouldn't need the backdrop... etc.

Apparently we were "misled" into thinking the dome would be open in Indy... then it came out it was in the contract for the roof to be closed. I asked numerous times as to WHY this is? Why have they built a retractable roof stadium where they seem to want to keep the roof closed more than they keep it open? Will it be closed for Colts games, too? What's the deal? Every other retractable roof stadium I know of keeps the dome OPEN most of the time and then CLOSES when inclement weather is coming. It seems like Lucas Oil is the other way around. Why is that?

More to the point: Why would anyone on DCP know this answer? Few (if any) of us have reviewed the actual contract signed by DCI. I'll bet it has all sorts of surprises.

Again, DCI is not a monolith. This wasn't a decision made solely by Dan Acheson or anyone at DCI. It was voted on by "The Board" which, with a few exceptions, are the directors of the member corps. Ask your favorite corps' director.

I've also heard that Lucas would be an oversized convection oven if opened on a summer day.

Regardless of which reason(s) prevail, though, I would not expect the acoustics to be much different with the top popped. You'd still be left with a big, hard box and a lot of overhanging structure (remember Olympic Stadium in Montreal?).

DCI went to great lengths to advertise this as a retractable roof stadium. But if you have no intentions on opening the roof, who cares if it's retractable??

I am sure there are people who attended Finals that would NOT have bought tickets if they would have known 100% that the roof would definitely be closed.

DCI is notorious for not giving full information to fans, and for misleading people. What a bunch of BS. :doh:

So is there anyone here with knowledge in stadiums or something long those lines that can tell me why a good drainage system wasn't built in?

When we purchased our tickets, we were under the understanding that the roof would be open, unless there was a weather problem. I thought this was a great idea, as at least the show would go on even if there were storms in the area. No weather delays.

I can't tell you how many people I talked with over the weekend that said they will not be coming back. The accoustics were horrible.

One rumor I did hear, was that the contract was an 8 out of 10 years to be held at that stadium, with an option to back out after the first year if the conditions were not acceptable to DCI. I heard this from several people, but would like to know if anyone here has any more information on this. I think the horrible accoustics would be great reason to cancel out of their contract with the stadium, especially if there is no plan to actually leave the retractable roof open.

One of my friends who went to the broadcast was telling me they were talking about how these shows were all designed to be performed in a closed roof dome, indicating the corps all knew that the roof wasn't going to be open.

-So is there anyone here with knowledge in stadiums or something long those lines that can tell me why a good drainage system wasn't built in?-

Because it would have cost ALOT more (like 100 mil) and they already had the roof.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky