OK, BD, you are kicking everyone's butt! Now, can we have some

I want to love BD, I really do! But they aren't giving me anything to love.

Newseditor44,

have to call BS on that statement. The guard was amazing, the percussion was amazing, and the precision was amazing, so they won 3/4 captions and scored a rather impressive 99.05, and ahead of the next nearest competitor by 1.5 points. You can have your opinion, state it fully, but don't lie about it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. You mean they COULDN'T care less?

UCLA > Duke

Being pedantic does not mean that you win an argument, especially when it's clear that you understood what was meant by the comment.

Newseditor44,

have to call BS on that statement. The guard was amazing, the percussion was amazing, and the precision was amazing, so they won 3/4 captions and scored a rather impressive 99.05, and ahead of the next nearest competitor by 1.5 points. You can have your opinion, state it fully, but don't lie about it.

WTF is that supposed top mean? I stated my opinion and it was as clear as day.

BD should do Adventures in Time and Bird and Bela in B-flat again. Most underrated BD show of all time IMO. Not sure if they (or anyone) could match the hornline from that year, but I think it would be a show most fans would LOVE. Especially considering how strong BD's guard and drums are now. Just a thought.

Ugh....please no. I hated those pieces in 91. Please do something else.

(snip) I let a friend watch last years DVD (just Phantom and BD). He followed DCI back in the early mid 80's, but not so much since then. BTW, he is a trumpet player and has music degrees from North Texas, Houston, and UNCG including a doctoral degree in conducting, so he understands music. He watched Phantom and then only got halfway through BD before he shut it off. He said BD lost him musically and concept wise. That's what we mean when we say their recent shows aren't fan friendly. I personally liked their 2004 show and wouldn't have been upset if they had won, but '07 and '09.....eh let's just say they probably won't be added to my ipod.

Funny, I loved BD's show last year. However, this year was a different story. I really liked "Happy days are here again" musically, but other than that, the show did nothing for me. I will say they performed it extremely well, but I'd take a show that I love that is performed sloppily over a show that bores me performed perfectly any day.

I hope that, however, you would respect that the marching members of (not only BD, but) every corps deserve the acknowledgment that they did their best out on the field. BD lost brass this year ... you can use it to further your theory that they didn't play music. I however think they did a fantastic job.

Just because someone doesn't like the show, does NOT mean that can't appreciate a talented group of individuals and respect what they have accomplished. I have said from the start that BD should have won and I will stand behind that. They performed like champions and were clearly the best on the field all season. Bravo.

Maybe it was the black and grey unis in '88 that ultimately denied BD the title. That's the only problem I ever saw that year. That sop line and that snare line were UNGODLY clean!!!

No, it was the fact that Madison caught fire the last two weeks of the season and performed well enough to win the title. No shame in what BD accomplished in '88, but sitting in the stands and watching Madison that might, you knew that show was something special. A few aquintances that marched BD in '88 said their finals performance was flat, which I believe. Regardless of win or lose, it was still an incredible show.

Why is it that people equate winning with having an awesome show? Why is it that you have to win? I never understood that.

I really don't like this attitude among older corps vets; like DCI and its member corps owe you something because you marched. Look, the activity is going where it's going and plenty of people like that direction and are perfectly happy to hop along for the ride. If you're not being entertained anymore, the solution is to stop going to shows. Stop trying to hold on to this near and dear image of what corps was when you marched. DCI isn't going to change what it's doing so that you'll be happy.

Think of any other form of entertainment. If movies by a particular director stopped entertaining you, would you continue going to them and write the director a bunch of angry letters telling him that he needs to change his movies to better reflect what you want to see? No, you'd just stop going to his movies.

So, honestly, if you're not being entertained for your $100 ticket, just stop following the activity. It's stupid to pay for things that don't entertain you.

DCI owes me nothing, and I've never said or insinuated they do. They activity has gone in several different direction since I marched in the 80's, and I'm still here. Some of us have gone with the changes, others haven't. And believe it or not, back in the day we had the very same discussions about likable shows, we just didn't have the internet to bit#h about them 24/7.

The more things change, the more they same the same. Some of the show design approaches have changed, but today's product its still drum corps. The activity hasn't changed enough for me to stop loving it (there were several shows I liked this year). however, if the activity changed enough to the point that most of the shows were not entertaining, then yes I would stop attending.

As for holding onto what's near and dear, your #### right I will, but it doesn't mean I can't take change either. I have favorite shows from every single year since 1972, including quite a few from the past five years.

So I didn't like BD's show this year, what's the big deal and why do you care? Why do you care if others didn't? Just ignore us. Why are you getting upset that I'm expressing my opinions and idea's? I'm not forcing it on you. This is a forum to express our opinions, and if you can't be an adult and respect mine like I respect yours, maybe you are the one that has the problem. I mean if you're truly getting upset because some people don't like a show or a corps than maybe its time to step away from the keyboard.

DCI owes me nothing, and I've never said or insinuated they do. They activity has gone in several different direction since I marched in the 80's, and I'm still here. Some of us have gone with the changes, others haven't. And believe it or not, back in the day we had the very same discussions about likable shows, we just didn't have the internet to bit#h about them 24/7.

The more things change, the more they same the same. Some of the show design approaches have changed, but today's product its still drum corps. The activity hasn't changed enough for me to stop loving it (there were several shows I liked this year). however, if the activity changed enough to the point that most of the shows were not entertaining, then yes I would stop attending.

As for holding onto what's near and dear, your #### right I will, but it doesn't mean I can't take change either. I have favorite shows from every single year since 1972, including quite a few from the past five years.

So I didn't like BD's show this year, what's the big deal and why do you care? Why do you care if others didn't? Just ignore us. Why are you getting upset that I'm expressing my opinions and idea's? I'm not forcing it on you. This is a forum to express our opinions, and if you can't be an adult and respect mine like I respect yours, maybe you are the one that has the problem. I mean if you're truly getting upset because some people don't like a show or a corps than maybe its time to step away from the keyboard.

I think people are just tired of you rehashing your opinion over and over again. I am.

You'll muster enough to say they are great performers... But #### their show design sucks eggs. That about it in an (egg) shell? Besides, you said the show is growing on you so why don't YOU step away from the keyboard so that all of these "I hate their design" posts don't come back to bite you in the ### when (not if :tongue:) you decide you like it.

Edited by bluublood

I think people are just tired of you rehashing your opinion over and over again. I am.

You'll muster enough to say they are great performers... But #### their show design sucks eggs. That about it in an (egg) shell? Besides, you said the show is growing on you so why don't YOU step away from the keyboard so that all of these "I hate their design" posts don't come back to bite you in the ### when (not if :tongue:) you decide you like it.

I do it just to annoy the #### out of you! And its working... lol

Edited by Newseditor44