Fix Retreat

Pardon me for being rude about this DCI, this is getting ridiculous. Knock the krap off and return the activity to its roots. It changes every year and fans, and performers are getting sick of it.

-Let the kids play themselves off the field. We're in a dome, late night noise shouldn't be an issue anymore. It's the last night of our season, let the kids have some fan and let the fans hear a bit more from the kids one more time.

-Nix the smoke and lights. This isn't WWF

-Give the kids a few moments to take some pictures and shake hands with some of the other performers. They've earned it. It's tradition. Stop ####### with tradition!

You have the power to fix it... do something right for a change.

Edited by Geoff
filter circumvention

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheepishly raises his hand in agreement.

Being in a 7th place corps, it was my honor to play MYNWA for the 1989 champs before I left the field that belonged to them.

Being in 1st, it was my honor to listen to those great musicians play with passion and fire in our honor. I wanted that night to last forever ... so why rush things now? Let everyone play .. let them have their one last chance to show the other performers on the field how good they are .... and let them put a final exclamation on their season by putting some more blood and sweat into the tune that defines them as a family and corps.

It really is the right thing to do.

Edited by supersop

(snip)

Being in 1st, it was my honor to listen to those great musicians play with passion and fire in our honor. I wanted that night to last forever ... so why rush things now?

I wasn't there. But it appears it wasn't a matter of needing to rush. It was a matter of rediculously screwed priorities.

The reports I'm hearing (some of them from phone conversations with people who were there) was that the corps entering the field one at a time to smoke and music etc. took at least 25 minutes. Versus a retreat entrance that takes 5-ish and then letting the corps play off to their nastalgic corps song (that probably makes some die hard corps fans even weep) and the die hard fans would probably rather hear than some part of the competition show - which takes another 3-4 minutes per corps.

Edited by bradrick

k. Here it goes.

I was there at Finals last night.

1. Watching Corps march out to "Boom Boom Pow" was not quite appropriate.

2. Seeing two corps without their horns because they had to squeeze in times for their traditions. That's horrible. Those traditions shouldn't have to be squeezed in. Yes the encore will start later if the horns are all brought out, BUT the people who want to stay for the encore will not care about the time of night. It's a moment in history, nothing in the world is more important than that.

3. What was up with no playing of America the Beautiful??? So your telling me that there isn't time to honor the country, OR let these hard working kids play together for ONE last time?

4. So there isn't time for them to go and congratulate other members on their success? Can age's not have just a couple of more minutes to savor the moment; the ending of their Drum corp career?

I understand DCI had their reasons for this. But this isn't just any sport.

This is a sport with thousands of people's who's hearts are going out to thier friends, family, and the random strangers, to enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

It's unlike any other sport, please DCI don't take that away

I'm fairly progressive when it comes to the field shows themselves, but that retreat was the most disgusting spectacle I've witnessed in my decade of following drum corps. I can't imagine anyone -- vets, band kids, family, friends, casual fans -- who would actually prefer Miley Cyrus to the Blue Devil's drum line. I guess it, along with the video, the fog, the spotlights, interspersing caption awards with placements etc., was designed to appeal to band crowd, but even BOA (from what I can remember) cadences the bands out on the field.

Why DCI operates under the delusion that band kids expect everything in drum corps to be like it is in band is beyond me. I was with a group of Kentucky and Indiana band kids, and they all hated, without exception. On the other hand, the old form of retreat seems like something with near-universal appeal. The best solution is right under their noses, but they keep messing with the formula.

The entrance to the field is narrower than the gates at most stadiums, so I can understand why they chose one at a time. But give each corps 50 seconds to move their collective arses OUT of the tunnel and INTO position before the corps after them will be announced. Troopers, unfortunately, set the pace; sorry guys, glad you're back in finals, but please move your arses when you're asked to grab some turf for finale, and clear the space for those behind you.

The music choices made my 12-14 year old kids cringe, the way they would if some 40 year old drove up with Miley Cyrus blaring from his car's speakers.

Major FAIL from DCI's part.

Edited by mobrien

The smoke and recorded music was really weird. It was so stupid it made me laugh. I know the event cordinators try to make it fun and exciting, but they jumped the shark with with the cheese effects.