Fix Retreat

I too, will join with an earlier post that EVERYONE forgets the ridiculous behavior of last year. I can see why they don't play "America" anymore: everyone tries to play it up an octave or purposly fracks and it sounds like crap. If you heard the last time it was played, you would know. Also, they couldn't get the kids off the field. Last year was a disgrace. This year was MUCH better. Didn't see anyone puking or acting disrespectful to other corps.

I will add that I wish that they would go back to the old days and let the corps play themselves off the field. That was worth the price of admission alone.

DCI is trying, I give them credit for that.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too, will join with an earlier post that EVERYONE forgets the ridiculous behavior of last year. I can see why they don't play "America" anymore: everyone tries to play it up an octave or purposly fracks and it sounds like crap. If you heard the last time it was played, you would know. Also, they couldn't get the kids off the field. Last year was a disgrace. This year was MUCH better. Didn't see anyone puking or acting disrespectful to other corps.

I will add that I wish that they would go back to the old days and let the corps play themselves off the field. That was worth the price of admission alone.

DCI is trying, I give them credit for that.

I agree, last year was a disgrace. The hot-dogging at the end was intolerable and the behavior of some of the corps was embarrassing. But, I wish all the corps could do the right thing and play together during retreat in a respectful manner. DCI should structure the retreat schedule to make this possible. It is a final tribute to the hard work and dedication of all involved as well as a great send off to the fans, some of whom make great sacrifices to be there. It is also a real treat for newcomers and it may be enough for them to come back next year.

k. Here it goes.

I was there at Finals last night.

1. Watching Corps march out to "Boom Boom Pow" was not quite appropriate.

2. Seeing two corps without their horns because they had to squeeze in times for their traditions. That's horrible. Those traditions shouldn't have to be squeezed in. Yes the encore will start later if the horns are all brought out, BUT the people who want to stay for the encore will not care about the time of night. It's a moment in history, nothing in the world is more important than that.

3. What was up with no playing of America the Beautiful??? So your telling me that there isn't time to honor the country, OR let these hard working kids play together for ONE last time?

4. So there isn't time for them to go and congratulate other members on their success? Can age's not have just a couple of more minutes to savor the moment; the ending of their Drum corp career?

I understand DCI had their reasons for this. But this isn't just any sport.

This is a sport with thousands of people's who's hearts are going out to thier friends, family, and the random strangers, to enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

It's unlike any other sport, please DCI don't take that away

Dan Acheson mentioned at the Friends Of DCI Breakfast on Saturday morning that they were working to appeal to the "alumni", meaning the RECENT alums, the younger crowd, to build for the future. This is what happens when a 50-something orchestrates an appeal to 20-somethings. It's never pretty....

More like "Boom-boom.... Barf !! "

AJMHO

I have to say some of the comments on here are "interesting". I find it interesting that all the complaints being made are from the "previous generation" if you will. Keep in mind I'm 41, so I can say some of this because well, I'm a member of that! LOL

I have yet to see any complaints about retreat by corps MEMBERS, if I missed one/some, my bad, but come on folks, retreat is for THE CORPS. Maybe they don't want to play their instruments anymore, maybe the want to be brought onto the field with "today's music" maybe they like the smoke and lights. I just don't like that SPECTATORS want to change things that let's face it, is not for them/us. All these "kids" have worked the back sides off the entire summer, don't they deserve a little fanfair, don't they deserve what THEY like?!

Yes this is how retreat is done with WGI, I've been there 4 years in a row, and trust me THE MEMBERS LOVE IT! Ask your kids, ask ANY of the kids that were there, I'd put money on at least 8 out 10 loved retreat. Now if they were rushed out of the stadium, that should be changed, but give the MEMBERS what THEY want, after all this is about them correct?! None of us were out there all summer, practicing 10-12 hours a day. I'm sure DCI will get the feedback and make changes as to what worked and what didn't.

Ok, I'll take the back lash now!

The abomination that's become DCI is alienating a higher and higher % of fans with each passing year. The "Delicate Genius's" are venturing into no man's land and are just about to reach the point of no return. If they continue on the present course, the stands are going to be sparsely populated with mostly high school/college marching band kids, recent DCI age-outs and parents/relatives of current Corps members...........

I hear they are experimenting with kryptonite and Asimos.

Dan Acheson mentioned at the Friends Of DCI Breakfast on Saturday morning that they were working to appeal to the "alumni", meaning the RECENT alums, the younger crowd, to build for the future. This is what happens when a 50-something orchestrates an appeal to 20-somethings. It's never pretty....

More like "Boom-boom.... Barf !! "

AJMHO

really?

at 23 most are finishing up school, have a ton of debt, unsure about their future employment or working at entry level pay and DCI is asking for $125 for a somewhat decent ticket ????

yeah right, most recnet marchers can not afford it

maybe Dan should look around at who is actually in the stands finals week (and no, not the marchers poaching seats after their corps got bounced). I'd guess the ave age at finals is over 40

I agree very much with your 50 years olds pandering to what they think a 20 years thinks is cool (so much of the current mess is based upon that)

but give the MEMBERS what THEY want, after all this is about them correct?! Ok, I'll take the back lash now!

Really, the few I talked to weren’t so sold on it, I’m glad you are not speaking for all of the 'kids'

And no, it’s not all about the kids, its also about the fans who pay the money so the kids can even have a chance without the fans, you've got nothing but an expensive, long band camp

I swear, the arrogance and attitudes on here – from people involved in the arts none the less…hey, more than half of your time in the arts (outside of music ed and even then) is spent funding your art... for it to even be art, you have to give the people what they want, what they paid for…many comprises are made along the way

You know how many times I had to play songs I hated or was sick to death of just because its what the crowd wanted? Almost every night

Here is a bit of free education for you….the arts in the real word are not some sort of self indulgent exercise where you can do whatever you want and expect people to throw money at you just because you are you and you are doing 'art'

wake up

I have to say some of the comments on here are "interesting". I find it interesting that all the complaints being made are from the "previous generation" if you will. Keep in mind I'm 41, so I can say some of this because well, I'm a member of that! LOL

I have yet to see any complaints about retreat by corps MEMBERS, if I missed one/some, my bad, but come on folks, retreat is for THE CORPS. Maybe they don't want to play their instruments anymore, maybe the want to be brought onto the field with "today's music" maybe they like the smoke and lights. I just don't like that SPECTATORS want to change things that let's face it, is not for them/us. All these "kids" have worked the back sides off the entire summer, don't they deserve a little fanfair, don't they deserve what THEY like?!

Yes this is how retreat is done with WGI, I've been there 4 years in a row, and trust me THE MEMBERS LOVE IT! Ask your kids, ask ANY of the kids that were there, I'd put money on at least 8 out 10 loved retreat. Now if they were rushed out of the stadium, that should be changed, but give the MEMBERS what THEY want, after all this is about them correct?! None of us were out there all summer, practicing 10-12 hours a day. I'm sure DCI will get the feedback and make changes as to what worked and what didn't.

I had four people under 25 in the car driving home with me, two of whom were on the field in different corps on finals night. None of them thought the music was appropriate or enjoyed it and they agreed the smoke was funny. My 13 year old has out grown Miley Cirus. Hard to imagine she is appealing to many of drum corps age. I doubt anyone asked the members' opinion when planning this.

I think DCI sets themselves up for a slippery slope on this by charging Broadway show prices for tickets, and marketing the activity as something on par with those shows from an entertainment standpoint. While my viewpoint is generally that this truly IS all about the kids and they life lessons they learn along the way, they are also saddled with producing the entertainment product that DCI charges a bundle for. So, while rock music is fine for WGI, as many guards use it in their shows already anyway, it is a bigger stretch as a contrast to the symphonic brass music that most of the corps play. Technically, the high-priced entertainment product is not over until they dismiss the kids from the field. THEN play Miley all you want for celebration. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal for them to go back to a format that was popular for decades, with the short encores as each corps plays themselves off. It is a minor undertaking for the kids, as they only have to do it once a summer, the fans enjoy it and the corps each get to have a moment more of appreciation and applause. Plus it just fits with the character of the event. You've got people in quasi-military uniforms with giant feather plumes and..Lady Gaga? An odd juxtaposition.

Actually there was a member kid on one of the other topics (bad sound in LOS, I think) who said he hated the retreat and thought it was stupid and embarrassing.

I like when DCI tries new things, but sometimes they make the most tone-deaf decisions about changing things that weren't broken in the first place.

I had four people under 25 in the car driving home with me, two of whom were on the field in different corps on finals night. None of them thought the music was appropriate or enjoyed it and they agreed the smoke was funny. My 13 year old has out grown Miley Cirus. Hard to imagine she is appealing to many of drum corps age. I doubt anyone asked the members' opinion when planning this.

LMAO, our niece just turned 13 or 14 and someone asked her about Hannah stuff for her birthday.

Should have seen the look on her face. :unhappy:

Sooo let me get this straight, at a musical event some Einstein pumped in canned music of a different genre??? Can't wait to hear what happens at BOA.