Fix Retreat

DCI I loved having Finals in Indy and I had a great time at all the events, but please fix retreat!

My suggestion:

1. Corps file into their respective areas while some group (Marine Corps D&B corps, Open Class Champs, or other designated group) plays something to keep everyone entertained. (15 min.)

2. Caption awards (and other stuff) are announced. (5 min)

3. Scores are announced. (5 min)

4. Each corps plays a 5 min. (or less) piece of music of their choosing. (77 min)

5. Corps leave, while winning corps plays some parade beat or other music. The winning corps pit will also be setting up at this time. (15 min)

6. Winning corps performs final performance. (15 min)

Roughly 2 hours total (2.2 to be exact), so we'll start at 5:00 and be done by 11:30 as usual. There you have it, my dream finals!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got in from our 12 hour drive home. I have to agree with most of the posts (But - wasn't the National Anthem played by the Marine D&BC at the beginning?) . A few things DCI needs to seriously consider.

1) Personally, I don't like the music bringing the corps in, they've been doing this for several years now - I thought I would get used to it, but no. The whole thing takes too long for "We are the Champions" or something like that, but maybe last year's winner could play the corps on? Maybe have a standard march that typifies the activity? Just anything more appropriate.

2) There was no drama on the field during retreat.... We left before the encore because it was so anticlimatic. Last year Phantom's drum major directed the fanfare from the seats in front of us. We were so excited. One of the things we always looked forward to was the playing of America the Beautiful/O Canada. One last blow your face off moment. I didn't care much for the the substitute last year, but it was 1000 times better that the dead quiet of finals this year. Maybe it was the enclosed stadium, but the stadium felt dead after the scores were announced.

3) It would have been nice to see the corps mingle and congratulate each other for 10 - 15 mins before the encore. I saw SCV's DMs come over to congratulate BD, but there was not the opportunity or time given to mingle, like there used to be. More time is spent congratulating all of the sponsers, volunteers, DCI alumni, etc. than the kids that pour their blood & sweat on the field. When the corps leave, it used to be the custom to troop past the winning corps and present colors out of respect. At the end of everyother sport or entertainment activity I know, everyone shakes hands with the winner. That might not be practical, but there should be some way for the other corps to publically acknowledge the winner.

4) I can't blame the corps who didn't bring their instruments on the field. If they knew they weren't in contention for the encore performance, what would be the point. Oh, they could play something like maybe ATBOC

5) I like the year in review show on the screen. Unfortunately not all corps were in a position to see it, or in some cases, they were "eyes front". Maybe give a heads up to the corps, it's nice to watch the kids reactions to seeing themselves on screen.

It is not drum corps, it is just more supposedly slick show management by some appionted "crowd will love it type" Probably the same mentality that buried the souvie vans down in an area of the building that that is more suitable for armored vehicle expositions! The championship endings are turning into a "lousy product" Sure , what memories of finals! Smoke and amplified nondescript whatever......

It is not drum corps, it is just more supposedly slick show management by some appionted "crowd will love it type" Probably the same mentality that buried the souvie vans down in an area of the building that that is more suitable for armored vehicle expositions! The championship endings are turning into a "lousy product" Sure , what memories of finals! Smoke and amplified nondescript whatever......

thats odd...

I had about 11 former students of mine in various corps this year including 7 of them in Finals retreat.

Not one of them had anything to say but "Amazing", "time of my life", "I never wanted it to end" etc about thier experience in indy.

Most of them were texting me the whole night! It was alot of fun getting to hear about it as it went on. and then the phone calls after it was all over.

Im sure there may be some who didnt enjoy it, just stating what i have been told.

Retreat was terrible. Most of the kids hated it and I heard many comments from members in the lot afterwards with some choice words for DCI.

The reason that the members are rushed off the field is because it takes so long to get off normally when medals are being passed out, pictures are being taken, etc. I know that fans on here in the past have complained about this happening before and maybe it's the same people that think it's rushed now.

I know you want to hear the encore, but as a member, finals retreat was one of the BEST times of the season. To get your medal placed on you and to spend time getting pictures with friends/staff/sections, etc. it was always an incredible experience. I'm sorry that the fans would have to wait a little longer to hear the encore performance. For the members, having those 20-25 minutes on the field to celebrate after a long season was incredible.

Now, they're rushed off by DCI. I saw directors telling people to stop taking pictures and move. Corps didn't get their medals on the field and some are probably getting them mailed to them this week since the parking lot was chaotic like usual.

It was terrible. The kids hated it, the staff's hated it. Many long time members were embarrassed to have to walk out to pre-recorded music and fog. It was so anti-climatic at the end.

thats odd...

I had about 11 former students of mine in various corps this year including 7 of them in Finals retreat.

Not one of them had anything to say but "Amazing", "time of my life", "I never wanted it to end" etc about thier experience in indy.

Most of them were texting me the whole night! It was alot of fun getting to hear about it as it went on. and then the phone calls after it was all over.

Im sure there may be some who didnt enjoy it, just stating what i have been told.

I was on the field and it was the exact opposite. Glad to hear some of the kids liked it.

thats odd...

I'm sure, if I were marching, I'd have the same things to say regardless of venue.

The question becomes whether they had such a great time BECAUSE or DESPITE of the fact they were in Indy. Probably neither; they would have enjoyed the experience whether they were in Buffalo or Jackson, MS (well, maybe not quite as much in Jackson!) :rock:

The smoke and recorded music was really weird. It was so stupid it made me laugh. I know the event cordinators try to make it fun and exciting, but they jumped the shark with with the cheese effects.

They do this at WGI finals, so I have to wonder if that's where this latest "brilliant" idea came from. Ugh. Sounds awful! Hope they don't waste space on the DVD for that.

They do this at WGI finals, so I have to wonder if that's where this latest "brilliant" idea came from. Ugh. Sounds awful! Hope they don't waste space on the DVD for that.

It seemed like they were trying to copy WGI's finals retreat. (I was waiting for the confetti at the end.) But what works for WGI didn't work for DCI retreat at all. It was so out of place and awkward. I think they should have played some marches instead of Black Eyed Peas, Coldplay, Rihanna, etc., announce the scores, play the America The Beautiful, give the corps 30 minutes to mingle on the field, then the encore performance by the winning corps.