Why EVERYONE Stands Up for Marines D&BC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so as long as we are on the subject... lets revisit the United States Code... and when you join the military... .and you agree to obey the orders of the officers appointed over you..... well, you get the picture.

§8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

I hope you're not thinking that I personally refuse to respect the flag. I do, and I certainly want others to do it as well. But getting upset when someone doesn't abide by a code that is only binding on the military is more than a bit silly.

I don't want to turn this into a debate, because I know emotions run high on these issues. I feel that fetishizing objects to such an extreme degree -- pouring more meaning and emotion into them than they were originally intended to contain -- can lead to a facile, useless kind of patriotism. Time and time again I run into people who think "Little plastic flags . . . check. Fawning on the military . . . check. Support out troops magnet . . . check. Well, I've done my bit." Yet many of these same people cannot point out the places where I fought to defend this country's interests on a map. To me that's far more repulsive and ill-mannered than not standing for the flag or the anthem. Taking time educate yourself about the world and what's going on in it, taking time to understand the military and how it works, and how it is used defend (or not to defend) your country's interests, etc. are far more useful and important tasks for American citizens to undertake.

Not to imply that anyone in this thread doesn't do these things -- certainly not you, Sarge -- but denouncing people as unpatriotic for not exhibiting the easy kind of surface patriotism that we've come to expect in this country is wrongheaded.

I hope you're not thinking that I personally refuse to respect the flag. I do, and I certainly want others to do it as well. But getting upset when someone doesn't abide by a code that is only binding on the military is more than a bit silly.

I don't want to turn this into a debate, because I know emotions run high on these issues. I feel that fetishizing objects to such an extreme degree -- pouring more meaning and emotion into them than they were originally intended to contain -- can lead to a facile, useless kind of patriotism. Time and time again I run into people who think "Little plastic flags . . . check. Fawning on the military . . . check. Support out troops magnet . . . check. Well, I've done my bit." Yet many of these same people cannot point out the places where I fought to defend this country's interests on a map. To me that's far more repulsive and ill-mannered than not standing for the flag or the anthem. Taking time educate yourself about the world and what's going on in it, taking time to understand the military and how it works, and how it is used defend (or not to defend) your country's interests, etc. are far more useful and important tasks for American citizens to undertake.

Not to imply that anyone in this thread doesn't do these things -- certainly not you, Sarge -- but denouncing people as unpatriotic for not exhibiting the easy kind of surface patriotism that we've come to expect in this country is wrongheaded.

got it.

Can't figure out why somebody would just sit casually by...

Welcome to the nation of idol sarge.

American Idol. Population lazy...

Back in the day every corps got a standing o – when they trooped the stands as they exited with a flag – it got kind of comic as people just kind of had it down to the point they’d carrying on doing what they were doing pop up then sit down…almost like the wave before there was a wave and more like a ripple

I agree that it sometimes seems robotic when people stand when the national athem is played or when a flag passes, and I understand that it isn't the flag or the song, but it is the meaning of these symbols that I respect and feel that other Americans should respect. And I agree if that is as far as our patriotism goes then saluting a flag seems a little less than sincere. But I also know that with each passing generation our respect for the sacrifices of those who have fought for our freedoms becomes less and less and that is not only sad but frightning! When we start losing respect for those who have given their lives for this country and all it stands for, I know that we aren't very far away from possibly losing the freedoms we so enjoy!

This is a great country and I personally still get tears in my eyes when I hear the National Anthem being played. I know I'm a big sap!!!

Again, thank you to all of you on this thread who have served our country!

...it comes full circle... Why do we stand up for the USMC D&B? Hey, silly..... it's the USMC D&B....

Why?

. . .well, for one, they represent the gold standard of what drum and bugle corps is to me. They were one of the first units I ever had the pleasure of seeing at a presentation when I was around 12 or so.

Even if you might not be particularly patriotic, they put on a great show and perform it amazingly well . . .that alone deserves a standing O.

I'm really glad they perform at the Charlotte show; I only wish I had access to more of their CD's. :tongue: