Corps of the Decade  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be 2000's corps of the decade

• Cadets
    • Cavaliers
    • Blue Devils
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard

Corps of the decade has to go to the Cavaliers. In part due to 5 world championships, but also in part due to their visual mastery and ground-breaking show design.

Certainly the Blue Devils would be 2nd, with 3 world titles and numerous high placements.

The Cadets, for all the narration and other controversies that have come with their shows, still pulled off 2 world titles, numerous high placements, and some incredibly demanding shows. And Phantom, even with just one world title, would be up there when you consider the quality of their shows in 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08.

As we head into the 2010s, it seems some new faces are emerging and some shifting is taking place.

Blue Devils are looking to become dominant, much like the Cavaliers in the early part of the 2000s. They now have 2 wins in 3 years and they always reload.

The Cavaliers have had two 3rd-place finishes and one 4th-place finish in the last 3 years and seem to have hit a bump in the road.

The Cadets seem to be coming on strong with a 2nd-place finish in 2007 and a 3rd-place finish in 2009. If they stay away from too much story telling, narration/singing and concentrate on being The Cadets, as they did this year, they look to be HOT!

Carolina Crown is coming on with a 4th-place finish in 2008 and a 2nd-place finish this year.

SCV found a wonderful vehicle for this year. Can they stay consistent and keep that going?

Should be fun!

By the way, I would have the Cadets as the corps of the 80s. They won 4 titles and changed the activity in a big way. However, I can also see them as corps of the 90s. They won 3 titles (1 less than BD), but their average placement is, I think, the best during that decade.

I disagree about your Cadets as the corps of the 90's.

(surprise)

BD went undefeated in the regular season in both 1994 and 1995. Won three of four years, and were dominant in many captions.

They also didnt fall as low as Cadets did (1991)

If you take those tid-bits into consideration, theres no comparison.

G

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Cavs, mainly for their design over the championships. 2000 was a tie where I felt the Cadets show was superior, and in 2006 Phantom was clearly top dog in my view.

I'm hoping next year it'll be a Vanguard decade, especially if we get more shows like 2004 and 2009.

Actually, I've thought for awhile now that Vanguard is kind of like the "Lou Rawls of Drum Corps". Long history, very popular years ago and with many fans and big hits, but in recent years lacking identity or uniqueness. Still somewhat popular, but largely with it's hard core of fans.

AJMHO

Actually, I've thought for awhile now that Vanguard is kind of like the "Lou Rawls of Drum Corps". Long history, very popular years ago and with many fans and big hits, but in recent years lacking identity or uniqueness. Still somewhat popular, but largely with it's hard core of fans.

AJMHO

Nah, unless maybe Im one of those old-schoolers but I consider them the cream of the crop with a very strong identity and they are still relevant.

G

Easy ---

Corps of the 70's = Santa Clara Vanguard

Corps of the 80's = The Garfield Cadets/ Cadets of Bergen County

Corps of the 90's = Concord Blue Devils

Corps of the 00's = The Cavaliers

Every decade, the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame votes on it's Corps of the Decade.

Past winners are:

1940's: Holy Name Cadets

1950's: St. Vincent Cadets

1960's: Chicago Cavaliers

1970's: Santa Clara Vanguard

1980's: Blue Devils

1990's: Cadets of Bergen County

Who do you think is going to earn it?

Championship years:

Cadets - 2000, 2005

Cavaliers - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006

BD - 2003, 2007, 2009

Phantom - 2008

I've also iVanguard even though they have won a championship this decade just because they've still put out quality shows.

EDIT: Removed Crown.

Are you saying that winning a championship is the only qualifier for the corps of the decade?..if so, that is a lame idea in the first place in my opinion...

You're right, of course. Thinking in those 10-year increments I forgot about the Devils run in the late 70s to early 80s. And they even played One-Eyed Sailor, Channel One, Ya Gotta Try and La Suerte de los Tantos in those years. Talk about incomparable!

HH

Yup..good stuff. :satisfied:

And Cavies were certainly equally impressive recently, no doubts there.

Honorable mention to the Cadets too, with their game changing 5 titles in 8 years including a perfect 30 in drums in 87.

The corps of the decade, there's no contest there - it's the Cavaliers.

The corps of the year, or the moment......that is a VERY different question. Are you sure you understand the difference between the two?

Are you saying that winning a championship is the only qualifier for the corps of the decade?..if so, that is a lame idea in the first place in my opinion...

So that must mean you've got a better qualfier as to what determines who the corps of the decade is. May we inquire under what criteria you are making that judgement, then?

I didn't vote, but if I did, it would be for Cavaliers -- as of now. However, the decade isn't over yet. It began in 2001 and ends with 2010. (Sorry to confuse people, but it's a fact.)

If Blue Devils put together a second undefeated year with title #14 in the year 2010, I'd have to say they would have a strong case for 'Corps of the Decade.' And by the way, that would cut the Cadets down to just one win this decade, since 2000 was part of the previous decade of 1991 to 2000.

'Corps of the Decade' should be all about wins and titles, not the best 'up and coming future champion.' Just my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly.

If BD wins in 2010, that would in my opinion make them the corps of the decade as their matching wins to the Cavies would fall AFTER Cavie domination, and would thus break the tie.

Otherwise, it's Cavies for the decade.

Edited by ContraRich77

If BD wins in 2010, that would in my opinion make them the corps of the decade...

If you're referring to the 2010s, then yes, BD would be off to a great start.

Otherwise, the 2000s belong to The Cavaliers. Five titles, two 2nd place finishes, two 3rd place finishes, and one 4th place finish during an insanely competitive year for the top 5... Yeah, that's pretty awesome.