Teal Sound

I look at the synth, WW, Guitar and all that crap as BOA. When I go to a Drum Corp show, I want to see a Drum Corps show. That is a great designed visual show, that uses the marching members to tell me a story.

So, clearly what you're saying is that you didn't see Teal Sound this summer.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, clearly what you're saying is that you didn't see Teal Sound this summer.

My opinion is stated regarless of weather I saw Teal Sound or not. Seeing them would not change my opinion at all, EVEN if it was done well. There is no place in Drum Corps for WW or electronics, with the exception of the amping of the pit. BOA yes, DCI no.

Thanks. Have a gerat day....

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

No smart guy, I did not, and again, it does not matter. Take your electronics and go back to BOA.

Thanks.

Rent a copy of Fiddler On The Roof. (This was the source of the bottle dance, which SCV used to win the title in 1978.) I am the 21st-century equivalent to Tevye, the main character in the musical, famously portrayed by Chaim Topol. I have essentially the same mentality as Tevye. I value tradition, and my heritage, as the source of my identify. I want the same thing for my son and daughter. Tevye did all he could, to pass on his beliefs and values to his children, despite living in a time of chaotic change. I am fighting essentially the same battle as he is.

That word would be tradition. Or substitute heritage.

Heritage is sum of the traditions, histories, values and ideals, that bind a group of people through the ages. I would like to pass my drum corps heritage on to future generations.

Unfortunately, just like Tevye, I see my heritage being destroyed. And I feel powerless to stop it, which is extremely frustrating.

If you don't understand or value tradition, then you have no idea what I am talking about.

My friends in old drum & bugle corps.

I spent a year deciding to start a new corps in Sault Ste Marie, or not, yes I would, or not etc. etc. etc. I'm not happy with the way things are now. I also don't like rap and much of that other "music" the kids are into now. but that's the way it is. I can turn the radio to an oldies station and enjoy again. Now I can join with the newly forming "kids off the street" corps in NE U.S. and Quebec and others springing up across the country. I though I was done with drum corps, but it seems a lot of other people were also and now drum & BUGLE corps are growing again. At my count the should be around 20 new none DCI competing corps by next summer and with that many in mostly the same area of the continent, I'm sure a pretty good tour can be set up for these corps that will be less expensive to take part in and much more enjoyable.

True North here in Sault Ste Marie sent out it's first newsletter yesterday and already the Sault Star is after me for an interview.BEFORE MONDAY! I was up at 7 this morning because I had several places to go, it's now 5:30 and I'm still here. The phone calls and emails to answer along with other corps (that doesn't legally exist yet) business has been none stop all day.

All you people that are upset at the direction DCI is taking the activity, just give them credit for achieving "their" goals and divert your support and attention to these new corps starting up. I would love to have more people with the passion that many of you are displalying supporting True North right now.

And if any of you want to cut a cheque well:

True North Drum & Bugle Corps (New rule in Canada, must be made out to FULL NAME or it can't be cashed)

519 Boundary Road, Suite 203

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.

Canada P6A 5Z2

P.S. If you'd like to get on the Newsletter emailing list send me your First Name and email address and I'll add you and send you a copy of the first one also.

OK kids, play nice now!

My friends in old drum & bugle corps.

I spent a year deciding to start a new corps in Sault Ste Marie, or not, yes I would, or not etc. etc. etc. I'm not happy with the way things are now. I also don't like rap and much of that other "music" the kids are into now. but that's the way it is. I can turn the radio to an oldies station and enjoy again. Now I can join with the newly forming "kids off the street" corps in NE U.S. and Quebec and others springing up across the country. I though I was done with drum corps, but it seems a lot of other people were also and now drum & BUGLE corps are growing again. At my count the should be around 20 new none DCI competing corps by next summer and with that many in mostly the same area of the continent, I'm sure a pretty good tour can be set up for these corps that will be less expensive to take part in and much more enjoyable.

True North here in Sault Ste Marie sent out it's first newsletter yesterday and already the Sault Star is after me for an interview.BEFORE MONDAY! I was up at 7 this morning because I had several places to go, it's now 5:30 and I'm still here. The phone calls and emails to answer along with other corps (that doesn't legally exist yet) business has been none stop all day.

All you people that are upset at the direction DCI is taking the activity, just give them credit for achieving "their" goals and divert your support and attention to these new corps starting up. I would love to have more people with the passion that many of you are displalying supporting True North right now.

And if any of you want to cut a cheque well:

True North Drum & Bugle Corps (New rule in Canada, must be made out to FULL NAME or it can't be cashed)

519 Boundary Road, Suite 203

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.

Canada P6A 5Z2

P.S. If you'd like to get on the Newsletter emailing list send me your First Name and email address and I'll add you and send you a copy of the first one also.

OK kids, play nice now!

Just to add to previous post:

I'm fairly sure some or many of these new rookie corps WILL grow and the join in the DCI tour as OPEN CLASS corps. But the thing I really appreciate is that these corps are giving the activity back to the "kids off the Street" Join, learn, mature, move up. OR stay old time and provide entertainment to that "other type of drum corps" market. We'll watch the attendance at these new "Div III" corps shows.

Just to add to previous post:

I'm fairly sure some or many of these new rookie corps WILL grow and the join in the DCI tour as OPEN CLASS corps. But the thing I really appreciate is that these corps are giving the activity back to the "kids off the Street" Join, learn, mature, move up. OR stay old time and provide entertainment to that "other type of drum corps" market. We'll watch the attendance at these new "Div III" corps shows.

So you didn't. Gotcha. That's what I figured.

Will, I did see the Teal show this year, and the nightmares since that morning in Indianapolis still have not ended. I wake up in the middle of in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, saying to myself "Rock bands replacing drum corps.......Rock bands replacing drum corps......." I really should send Randy my psychiatrist bill.

Other individuals have advised me the following: "If you do not like these type of shows, then why don't you walk out, and go to the bathroom or concession stand, when they are performed?" I never skip a show that's performed, so that I can always comment on what is being shown. Then, I never have to answer the question, "How can you comment on a show that you never saw performed?"

George C. Scott once starred in a movie, where he shouted over and over again, "Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off!" (I think the name of the movie was Hardcore. I am sure that someone can find a reference to it on IMDB.) That is what these flashbacks are like to me. I see drum corps, as I know it, being destroyed in front of my very eyes, but I am powerless to stop it.

Maybe I can ask my psychiatrist for electroshock therapy, the next time I see her. Then maybe the memories will go away.

Edited by oldschooldbc

Will, I did see the Teal show this year, and the nightmares since that morning in Indianapolis still have not ended. I wake up in the middle of in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, saying to myself "Rock bands replacing drum corps.......Rock bands replacing drum corps......." I really should send Randy my psychiatrist bill.

Other individuals have advised me the following: "If you do not like these type of shows, then why don't you walk out, and go to the bathroom or concession stand, when they are performed?" I never skip a show that's performed, so that I can always comment on what is being shown. Then, I never have to answer the question, "How can you comment on a show that you never saw performed?"

George C. Scott once starred in a movie, where he shouted over and over again, "Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off!" (I think the name of the movie was Hardcore. I am sure that someone can find a reference to it on IMDB.) That is what these flashbacks are like to me. I see drum corps, as I know it, being destroyed in front of my very eyes, but I am powerless to stop it.

Maybe I can ask my psychiatrist for electroshock therapy, the next time I see her. Then maybe the memories will go away.

A challenge! You start a "kids off the street" rookie corps and then in 2011 your corps and mine can meet in Michigan City at prelims and see what kind of reception old style drum corps can get? We could probably get a dozen or so of the other new "kids off the street" corps there also, they should be ready by then.

A challenge! You start a "kids off the street" rookie corps and then in 2011 your corps and mine can meet in Michigan City at prelims and see what kind of reception old style drum corps can get? We could probably get a dozen or so of the other new "kids off the street" corps there also, they should be ready by then.

Critics are rarely do-ers.