Teal Sound

Im glad to hear Teal fixed that problem, I heard stories from friends of mine that marched there in '08, I assumed it hadnt been fixed. I take back my comment :tongue:

08 was fine... there were some small problems on certain parts of tour, but nothing any drum corps doesn't go through. Nothing that was anything close to horrible, and if anything it was a learning experience for both member and staff. I still ate better that year than I ever had though, thanks to Miss Phyllis. :tongue:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched with the Pride of Cincinnati during their breakthrough 1983 season. (This was back when they were exclusively a drum corps; they have sinced morphed into a WGI unit.) We managed to make semifinals that year, which saved the corps from extinction.

Sadly, the State of Ohio legislature changed the bingo rules, and cut the funding out from the corps. Because of the loss of bingo revenue, the corps folded a year later. Disgraceful. I was really bitter about how that all went down. I guess I am still bitter, to this day.

Now that 1983 repertroise was a true old-school drum corps show. The music from the movie Ben Hur was the theme for the show.

Thankfully, we did not need synthesizers, amplifiers, guitars, woodwinds, or any of that junk for that show. Today, it would probably be laughed off the field - which is a real shame.

Would it make any difference to you, that a good organization in this day and age is doing some good things for the young people. An organization that is allowing young people to exhibit and improve their talents is striving to become even better? They have things called mirrors, take a long look into one of them, and you might see who is really the self serving individual in this discussion

Would it make any difference to you, that a good organization in this day and age is doing some good things for the young people. An organization that is allowing young people to exhibit and improve their talents is striving to become even better? They have things called mirrors, take a long look into one of them, and you might see who is really the self serving individual in this discussion

As I have stated numerous times in this discussion, I am a Revo parent and contributor, but I am not paid staff or management. I have no financial or professional interest in Revo, or any of Teal's competitors. The opinions that I have expressed are solely my own.

My criticism of Teal's show from last season is based upon my personal opinions and expectations. My differences with Randy, and his organization, are based on artistic preferences.

I am sure he runs a fine organization, and is helping development fine young men and women. I am certain that he is creating a fine corps, with fine musicians. I saw nothing during the past tour that leads me to believe otherwise.

However, I deeply disagree with the current state of drum corps, and with the artistic course it is setting for the future. And clearly, Teal, Spirit, and other corps are taking DCI in a direction that I do not wish to see.

I will continue to be a proponent of traditional drum corps, in this forum, and other locations. If other individuals continue to disagree with me, that is your perogative. I look forward to continued, spirited debates on this topic.

Couldn't be that. Teal had a nutritionist plan the meal program for the summer, and it was executed very well. The kids and staff not only had plenty to eat, it was outstanding (and I don't say that lightly). I have no problem standing up and saying that Teal Sound ate as well or better than just about any drum corps on the road.

Care to try again?

That is encouraging to hear. Close friends of mine had a daughter in Teal in 2007 and have some pretty harsh stories about the length of time they would go without meals and the lack of support for the food volunteer staff. Let's hear it for progress! :tongue:

Edited by treadstone

Teal Sound eats remarkably well.... Also as an answer to your comment that Teal and Spirit are taking Drum Corps in a direction you don't care for..... I don't remember the Directors from Teal or Spirit on the Executive Board of DCI.... SO in reality if you dislike the direction of DCI and the use of electronics... Please thank the following....

Phantom's Rick V

Cadets George H

Colt's Greg O

BD's David G

Santa Clara's Jeff F

And the other members of the Executive Committee.....

Could Teal and Spirit just be showing you how silly electronics are????? Could they be showing you how stupid the current "rulers" of DCI are.... and quite possibly can they be showing and proving to you that you don't have to be top 12 to spend a fortune and place this on the field and still have an incredible show.

So let’s bad mouth Teal all we can, darn corps is running DCI they make all the rules up and its Teal's fault that DCI is in the state it is in today. I cannot believe that they approved electronics just to make their horn line sound bigger and I cannot believe that they even want to march woodwinds.

Now for the nay-Sayers out there...how silly do you feel?

And you assume that Teal doesn't eat good... Then why not get off your butt and help those kids eat... Problem is they eat better than ANY WORLD CLASS corps..... But how would any of the people commenting bad in this forum know.... you never have time to leave your home nor your computer to go spend time with the drum corps.

Any organization that can overcome what Randy and the rest of the crew have in order to actually have a PROFITABLE drum corps..... And I am sure someone will complain Teal has money in the bank....... should be congratulated....... Please place a list of corps in this thread that actually experienced operating in the black....... IT will be short lists... to my knowledge the only corps in the black are OPEN CLASS CORPS.....

SO I'll say it again, darn Teal....They cannot do anything right down there, the abuse, lack of paying their staff, the torture they do to the members... no food, crappy busses, horrible equipment, and the ugliest uniforms...

Now sit back and ponder..........

SO in reality if you dislike the direction of DCI and the use of electronics... Please thank the following....

Phantom's Rick V

Cadets George H

Colt's Greg O

BD's David G

Santa Clara's Jeff F

What a coincidence - I'm playing golf with those 5 guys tomorrow! I'll be sure to give them a piece of my mind. Maybe I'll take them off my Christmas card list.

Actually, that's just 5 individuals. For a simple majority of the BOD, you would need at least 2 more. I wonder who those culprits are....

====================================================================

OK. I have come to view this problem from a wholistic perespective. Who deserves the blame, for the current artistic trends in drum corps? Who should be the scapegoat, for the increasing use of non-traditional instruments and electronics?

• The BOD deserve blame, for the rule decision, in the first place
  • The equipment makers deserve blame, for pushing for these changes, so they can sell more of their gear to marching bands
  • The corps directors deserve blame, for wanting to incorporate these changes in their shows, now that the gate has been opened for them
  • The show designers deserve blame, for putting these changes in the show design, at the behest of the corps directors
  • The paying fans deserve blame, for continuing to buy tickets to these shows

All are complicit, in some way, shape or form, and to varying degrees. And I deserve some blame as well. I should have started this campaign, to salvage drum corps, years ago.

Now, it may simply be too late - the point of now return may have already been passed. :tongue:

Edited by oldschooldbc

Teal Sound.....

GREAT DIRECTOR AND ADMINISTRATION STAFF....

Ron Ellis, Jared Johnson and Lee Hansen - Awesome Arranging this year. I LOVED Coldplay. wouldn't mind hearing more.

Phyllis and volunteals - fed us awesomely this summer. actually enjoyed eating with teal more than i did when i was at home with mom.

Why give the teal time such a hard time honestly. Randy works his butt off to make sure Teal Sound has a very nice tour each summer. got them new horns and percussion equipment since 07. got them new uniforms and pit and battery instruments for 2009. got a velvet rope to stretch across the field to help carry the design into the way it needed it to be. they took 4th. honestly yes they deserved higher than that cause teal knows how to march and to knock you back when they need to make a impact. goosebumps for the first minute and a half of the show. was awesome.

Teal will most likely be leaving the ranks of the Open Class after this season. They will go play with the World Class Groups in 2010. heck thats what the difficulty of their 2009 show was written in.

I wish Randy and Co. good luck in 2010. they know how to tour safely with no accidents this year. nothing bad happened. they did over 9,000 miles. how many other open class corps can say they toured for over 9,000 miles. Teal prolly came home with money in the bank. Thats a requirement when you are being evaluated for World Class. Thats Even a Requirement when you apply for an evaluation to even be an open class group. after your first year they check your financials and they watch you like a hawk. Looks like randy and co know how to get a drum corps on the field and down the road safely, while being well fed and looking sharp and coming home with money in the bank.

So while the obvious person that started this post had to air his opinions. thats fine. but if you want to know why teal sound or randy and co did something the way they did. call them and ask them. dont come take up space and make people waste their time reading you air out your grievances on a board that every one reads. believe me everyone reads this thing. Teal Sound has loyal volunteals and people that contribute to the organization just fine. so what if they loose your support. i am sure people get pissy about alot of things. but guess what Cadets did 3 shows that no one really liked but guess what. they still had the same people giving them money year in and out. if one person stops because a rock band was in, thats their preference.

I know of 4 - 5 groups that are wanting to start drum corps over the next 3 years. All will be Open Class. I know some that are thrilled at the fact they get to use all the toys, so that way when they do grow and get big enough to push for world it wont be that much more expensive to design a show. cause they will have the equipment neccessary......

ponder those thoughts......

Greg Orwoll voted NO, but said that after it was passed he wanted to embrace it so as not to be left behind.

Read all the posts here. I don't think that folks here are attacking or bashing the corps in question. A view was expressed that the show which was performed was not to their liking. That's it. I know there are other folks here who want to do all they can to disprove this opinion, but it does no good. The opinion expressed was not about the organization, it's structure, finances, means of handling kids or anything like that... it was on show design. So don't sweat folks, you put yourself into the arts, you're going to get criticisms... it's part of the equation that we place ourselves into, and it's a part of the contract that we sign. It's been told time and time again, and I'll say it here too; if you can't take the heat, don't stick your head in the oven.

With that, I love Teal for what they do, but they are obviously (as well as every other corps out there) not for everyone. Deal with it.

And hot dogs on a stick!!!!!! There, I said it :tongue: