Teal Sound

I didn't have an opportunity to see or hear Teal Sound this year, so I'm not qualified to comment on their show. I'm not too crazy about electronics or rock bands in the pit, but that's just me. What I do know is that DCI needs more corps at both levels and if Teal can fill a hole in WC I can live with that.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teal Did something this year that no other corps with the exception of Spirit had the balls to do. They showed EVERYONE what was allowed with the new electronics rule.

The show was very innovative and everyone said that Coldplay and Blue Man Group couldn't be done in DCI. Well i think Teal Sound did a very very very good job with their show this year. It was fun and energetic and the kids were pumped to preform it.

Heck, everytime i heard the coldplay hit in the show it sent goosebumps all the time. no matter if it was in a rehearsal or in a performance.

Randy and the rest of the team at Teal Sound put alot into this show to make it what it was. I applaud the effort by Ron Ellis and co. They made a wonderful show that most corps couldnt even dream of doing because it is not in their identity to do it. Go out on a limb and experiment. it is all about going out there and making a name for yourself. Can't be afraid of what someone will say. The Judges seemed to like the Show. Hell i remember running into Dave Eddleman at Erie, PA in the lot and he was very exicted to see the rock band warming up in the lot. Even if the band did play a little too loud and ###### off people that were trying to warm up. It was a great experience and i wouldn't trade it for the world.

Here's to Randy and the Teal Sound Team. Unleash when you get the nod for World Class. Make a Statement. You all proved this year that you have the balls to do it.

SCV Cadets' use of synthesizer was extensive, but they blended it well. Like I said previously, it allowed their brassline to sound much larger than it really was.

Um, no. Opening the pit staging area to drill and sending the horns in there made them sound a bit larger. The synth didn't make their brassline sound any larger.

In fact, if imbalanced, electronics tend to marginalize the brass section's strength (generally speaking).

Teal had a great show this year, no doubt, but they have a lot of things internally to figure out before they should be allowed to move to world class.

Please.... Enlighten us!!!

Teal had a great show this year, no doubt, but they have a lot of things internally to figure out before they should be allowed to move to world class.

Please do tell us what those things are. I agree with Mr. Means, that is a pretty erroneous statement to make!!

In order to survive, Drum Corps as an activity must evolve. An orchestra can use electronics, contras, even marching percussion if it wanted. It would still be an orchestra. Drum Corps, no matter the instrumentation, will still be Drum Corps.

That being said, I have many friends who marched with Teal this year, and I'm going to be auditioning for them next year. I enjoyed their show, and I can't wait to see what they bring to World Class.

What I have highlighted is getting very old. There comes a point in time when evolution morphs into extinction. IMO if DC does not stop evolving at such a fast rate DC will not survive.

Interesting how the World Swimming Federation or whatever they call themselves have figured this out and has now stopped the evolution of the swimsuit in competition. As a matter of fact they have taken a step backwards in the evolution process.

You claim that in order for DC's to survive they must evolve. In what way must DC evolve?

Once WW's are introduced into this Activity, you, and a handful of others will be the only ones calling this activity Drum Corps. There was a time when this great Activity of ours was once called Drum and Bugle Corps. But now it has evolved to just Drum Corps and less then 100 DC's on the field. I just love how this Activity has evolved :lol:

IMO if Teal moves to WC and puts on a Show with as much narration in their Show as they had this year. Do not be surprised if your Show is not well received by the paying audience. I do hope you play more songs like the Cold Play tune, very well done. :worthy:

Dean

Once WW's are introduced into this Activity, you, and a handful of others will be the only ones calling this activity Drum Corps. There was a time when this great Activity of ours was once called Drum and Bugle Corps. But now it has evolved to just Drum Corps and less then 100 DC's on the field. I just love how this Activity has evolved :lol:

Dean

My understanding is that this is essentially a done deal.

There are a number of directors in on the board - I refer to them as the Gang of Twelve - who are adamant, that they want woodwinds introduced. So this will likely be rubber-stamped, during the winter meetings.

And of course, you can't fill a stadium such as LOS with the sound of a piccolo. You will need to amp the woodwinds, which will mean microphones on the field, in all likelyhood. The percussion front ensenble is already amped, so this means more amps and mics. You'll end up with more microphones than one of Obama's press conferences.

What can we do to stop this? I don't know. I will continue to #### and moan in this forum, for all that's good.