Teal Sound

Teal Sound.....

GREAT DIRECTOR AND ADMINISTRATION STAFF....

Ron Ellis, Jared Johnson and Lee Hansen - Awesome Arranging this year. I LOVED Coldplay. wouldn't mind hearing more.

Phyllis and volunteals - fed us awesomely this summer. actually enjoyed eating with teal more than i did when i was at home with mom.

Why give the teal time such a hard time honestly. Randy works his butt off to make sure Teal Sound has a very nice tour each summer. got them new horns and percussion equipment since 07. got them new uniforms and pit and battery instruments for 2009. got a velvet rope to stretch across the field to help carry the design into the way it needed it to be. they took 4th. honestly yes they deserved higher than that cause teal knows how to march and to knock you back when they need to make a impact. goosebumps for the first minute and a half of the show. was awesome.

Teal will most likely be leaving the ranks of the Open Class after this season. They will go play with the World Class Groups in 2010. heck thats what the difficulty of their 2009 show was written in.

I wish Randy and Co. good luck in 2010. they know how to tour safely with no accidents this year. nothing bad happened. they did over 9,000 miles. how many other open class corps can say they toured for over 9,000 miles. Teal prolly came home with money in the bank. Thats a requirement when you are being evaluated for World Class. Thats Even a Requirement when you apply for an evaluation to even be an open class group. after your first year they check your financials and they watch you like a hawk. Looks like randy and co know how to get a drum corps on the field and down the road safely, while being well fed and looking sharp and coming home with money in the bank.

So while the obvious person that started this post had to air his opinions. thats fine. but if you want to know why teal sound or randy and co did something the way they did. call them and ask them. dont come take up space and make people waste their time reading you air out your grievances on a board that every one reads. believe me everyone reads this thing. Teal Sound has loyal volunteals and people that contribute to the organization just fine. so what if they loose your support. i am sure people get pissy about alot of things. but guess what Cadets did 3 shows that no one really liked but guess what. they still had the same people giving them money year in and out. if one person stops because a rock band was in, thats their preference.

I know of 4 - 5 groups that are wanting to start drum corps over the next 3 years. All will be Open Class. I know some that are thrilled at the fact they get to use all the toys, so that way when they do grow and get big enough to push for world it wont be that much more expensive to design a show. cause they will have the equipment neccessary......

ponder those thoughts......

You seem to be spending more mental energy on this than the "nay-sayers." <laugh>

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While reading this thread, people say Randy is doing a good job. That's great. May I ask what Randy's last name is? Cannot find it on the Teal site.

The opinion expressed was not about the organization, it's structure, finances, means of handling kids or anything like that... it was on show design.

I have made that point clear on several occasions.

I am sure Teal does an excellent job of feeding their kids, housing their kids, paying their bills, etc., etc. That is probably why they will move to WC next year. The evaluation process for WC tends to focus on these points; they examine your financial and organization preparedness.

My objections to Teal have solely been in the area of artistic choices in their show design.

Unfortunately, people tend to take that topic very personally. It may be do to the fact that drum corps is an artform, and hence, people tend to be very defensive about their artistic choices. Yes, some people do not take this type criticism very well.

If Teal does indeed move to WC next year, the scrutiny will get even more intense. If you do move to WC, expect an even bigger backlash - especially if you start costing other corps spots in semis or finals.

While reading this thread, people say Randy is doing a good job. That's great. May I ask what Randy's last name is? Cannot find it on the Teal site.

Randy Blackburn is their corps director:

http://www.tealsound.org/contact/

Randy Blackburn is their corps director:

http://www.tealsound.org/contact/

Many thanks OS--I was looking under staff, didn't see. The reason I ask is that an old friend, Randy Isoda is working with them and I thought---Randy, corps director? Naaaaa, couldn't be. And it wasn't.

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

"I know of 4 - 5 groups that are wanting to start drum corps over the next 3 years. All will be Open Class. I know some that are thrilled at the fact they get to use all the toys, so that way when they do grow and get big enough to push for world it wont be that much more expensive to design a show. cause they will have the equipment neccessary...... "

As President of Synergy in Arts for Youth here in Tampa, Florida I look to Teal Sound both organizationally and musically as a positive model for success. As far as I can see, they have grown their organization over the past ten years and not rushed into things keeping their goals both attainable and measurable for the sake of the members and the activity. Correct me if I am wrong, but a lot of organizations get it wrong because they rush into things and end up broke and unable to feed their kids and buy fuel and then they fold.

The trick, it appears is building/maintaining a non-profit organzation with a strong business model and offering non-profit/community values. The business end can rub off on the drum corps side of things then the whole thing looks like a business. The community loses in that case. However, I think Teal Sound has done a great job embracing their community not only in North Florida but in South Georgia as well. Keep up the great job Teal!

Many thanks OS--I was looking under staff, didn't see. The reason I ask is that an old friend, Randy Isoda is working with them and I thought---Randy, corps director? Naaaaa, couldn't be. And it wasn't.

Just wanted to make a clarification. Randy Isoda does not work with our program at Teal Sound.

Getting back on topic....

I honestly didn't mind the rock band at all. I think they blended really well with the sound. When you needed to hear them, you heard them. I think I counted about 2 or 3 times in the show where you could even hear them anyway. I think they added a lot of flavor to an already great brass and percussion book. And I love the way the corps stepped up their game from years past in regards to their visual program. Look forward to seeing ya'll in WC!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my thoughts, for what they ae worth, and that is probably not much:-)

I do not like synths nor voice being mic'd at all. I do not mind the amp-ing of the pit, as I think it provides for better balance of sound with thr rest of the instrumentation.

I look at the synth, WW, Guitar and all that crap as BOA. When I go to a Drum Corp show, I want to see a Drum Corps show. That is a great designed visual show, that uses the marching members to tell me a story.

When I go to a BOA show, I look to have a story told that uses electronics, synths, WW, and the like, to tell me a story.

Please DCI - Keep these seperate. I liked Drum Corps for what it was.......

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year