What do Synths do exactly?

I went to alot of shows and every corps I watched had a synth. Now i'm up in the stands and all I can hear are the Horns, drums and the marimbas. But I can't hear every other detail that happens in the pit. Someone care to explain what they do, the purpose for it and what sound it makes so I can open up my ears a bit more during shows to try and catch the sound?

Basically it's just an expansion of instrumentation. Personally I don't see much point to adding them, but maybe someone else will come in here and tell you why they are necessary.

In some shows the synths were typically added in to add an extra "oomph" to the bass voices (much to the distaste of most of DCP).

SCV, Madison, and Spirit were a few that did this. Spirit actually had a bass guitar.

Other shows used sampling of vocals and sound-effects.

Cadets, CCrown, Blue Knights, and BAC all used something like this. Cadets used a lot of WSS quotes directly from the movie during their 3rd number, "Cool". CCrown used a lot of "thunder" sound effects during the opening of their show. Blue Knights used "avalanche" sound effects during their snowball portion of the show. And BAC used a "biting" sound effect when the prop apple was bitten into.

Then some corps just used the synth in order to use a specific synthesized instrument.

Blue Devils and SCV used a lot of piano, CCrown had a section of their ballad where a "music box" was featured as a solo, and Crossmen used a lot of strings and voice. You can hear Blue Devils' piano and Crossmen's strings and voice at the beginning of both shows.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

Were you the guy they interviewed during semis? Props to you man! :lol:

Yes I am, and thanks alot! :shutup:

Cadets, CCrown, Blue Knights, and BAC all used something like this. Cadets used a lot of WSS quotes directly from the movie during their 3rd number, "Cool". CCrown used a lot of "thunder" sound effects during the opening of their show. Blue Knights used "avalanche" sound effects during their snowball portion of the show. And BAC used a "biting" sound effect when the prop apple was bitten into.

I like how drum corps really get into their themed shows *sighs*. Not only that I now know that corps are now adding special rendered effects, but the colorguard too have their own drill and story to tell, and it blows my mind how all this could happen, but the use of the sound effects may add alittle finese to the show, but there is already so much stuff happening on the field, it's not really necessary. Coming from the "Deaf guy", it totally kills drum corps activity.

Also notice that most corps have mics over every instrument in the pit? I know the story behind that, but why is it necessary to boost the sound quality of the pit when it doesn't need to get any louder, seriously.

Also notice that most corps have mics over every instrument in the pit? I know the story behind that, but why is it necessary to boost the sound quality of the pit when it doesn't need to get any louder, seriously.

One of the arguments was that amping the pit would mean players wouldn't beat the snot out of them in order for their parts to be heard.

• Like 1

I definitely can hear CC use the synth to get some oomph at the end of the show (Quarter Recording). BUMMER!!!!

Basically it's just an expansion of instrumentation. Personally I don't see much point to adding them, but maybe someone else will come in here and tell you why they are necessary.

In some shows the synths were typically added in to add an extra "oomph" to the bass voices (much to the distaste of most of DCP).

SCV, Madison, and Spirit were a few that did this. Spirit actually had a bass guitar.

Other shows used sampling of vocals and sound-effects.

Then some corps just used the synth in order to use a specific synthesized instrument.

Blue Devils and SCV used a lot of piano, CCrown had a section of their ballad where a "music box" was featured as a solo, and Crossmen used a lot of strings and voice. You can hear Blue Devils' piano and Crossmen's strings and voice at the beginning of both shows.

One of the arguments was that amping the pit would mean players wouldn't beat the snot out of them in order for their parts to be heard.

and while mallet choices may be more varying, heights arent

In was an item in the little bag they pick from.

( who remembers THAT thread )

I'm not a percussionist, but my understanding of why this came about is because before pits were amplified, the keyboard players, in particular, were using improper technique -- basically "banging" on the keys -- to try to get their sound out there. Amplification allows them to be heard while still using proper playing technique. That's actually one of the few instances of amplification that I'm in agreement with.

• Like 1

Amplification allows them to be heard while still using proper playing technique.

"Proper" defined as what? Proper for band and orchestra? Drum corps isn't band or orchestra. Maybe the way members were playing pit instruments for the 40+ years before 2004 was "proper" technique for drum corps?