The Cadets' Drill. Wow...

Jeff is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. You would expect him to be a bit removed from the general population of volunteers, etc. of the Cadets, but he is the exact opposite. He is very complimentary to all of the staff and volunteers in the organization, and will sit down and chat with anyone. Great guy, great drill writer. The Cadets are very fortunate to have someone so talented. At the Holy Name Alumni Diamond Bash....part of the aution was ALL, yes ALL of his drill books from his years with the Cadets. Awesome auction item...who wouldn't love to have that history?

From start to finish, no one can deny that they had one of the most, if not the most challenging drill on the field this year. my favorite part of the drill is the end... the Kaleidoscope effect. If you watch this, it does indeed change so quickly, it is actually a kaleidoscope.....awesome, and of course the running company front. Crazy. Find the video and watch it...you will see things that you won't believe they were able to march!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved marching his drill and even better to watch it. I don't know what goes on in the minds of some of these drill writers, but some of them are crazy with the stuff they write. Sometimes I think Jeff is trying to cause danger with the drill he writes (97 Cadets is a great example.)

Tuba and Euphonium pass throughs at a 2 step interval front to back at 200bpm is another good example...

Jeff is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. You would expect him to be a bit removed from the general population of volunteers, etc. of the Cadets, but he is the exact opposite. He is very complimentary to all of the staff and volunteers in the organization, and will sit down and chat with anyone. Great guy, great drill writer. The Cadets are very fortunate to have someone so talented. At the Holy Name Alumni Diamond Bash....part of the aution was ALL, yes ALL of his drill books from his years with the Cadets. Awesome auction item...who wouldn't love to have that history?

From start to finish, no one can deny that they had one of the most, if not the most challenging drill on the field this year. my favorite part of the drill is the end... the Kaleidoscope effect. If you watch this, it does indeed change so quickly, it is actually a kaleidoscope.....awesome, and of course the running company front. Crazy. Find the video and watch it...you will see things that you won't believe they were able to march!

Yeah he's a great guy...except when you don't know your dots... :-)

Unfortunately, if they keep holding finals in Lucas Oil Stadium (aka: Boxy, Echoey Stadium) there will be fewer people who get to really appreciate Jeff's drill than in any stadium finals has ever been in other than the Rose Bowl.

DCI - PLEASE move finals to a better stadium so that a greater number of people are able to see the great drills of people like Jeff Sacktig, Michael Gaines, etc. PLEASE return to stadiums with true, full upper decks!!!

I disagree, Lucas Oil Stadium, though terrible when closed acoustically, provides excellent height to appreciate forms!

No way! That was him in "Wonderful Town?" Contrabass with a sop mouthpiece. Wicked. :cool:

Never saw that before. It's right around 9:20 on the Fan Network if anyone hasn't seen that. I think the camera crew was tricked by the big horn playing high notes.

I had a much better view of the drill in 09 so it is hard for me to judge :tongue:

I'm actually not even sure if the 09 version had the turns involved like in 05. It had the same flow of the drill itself though

the 09 version was around 168 bpm, and had no turns. I think it was effective for the kind of elevator music feel there. The 2005 version was at 220 bpm, marched while crabbing, and had turns every 6 counts. To all my 2005 cadets, i have one thing to say to you about that move.

7 AND 8 AND!!!.....No....AGAAAIINNNN!!! :cool:

I was facebook surfing and saw a posted video of Holy Name's 2009 Semifinals Performance and I was utterly amazed with the drill design. I'm sure all you DCI veterans have definitely heard The Cadets, Star of Indiana, Santa Clara Vanguard and The Cavaliers to be the leaders of visual innovation in the activity.

However I felt that after 2007, The Cadets have been particularly leading another surge of visual amazement: shear elegance yet viciously aggressive with some extreme demand.

After watching all of 2007, the end of 2008, and top to bottom of 2009: I feel as though the Cadets maybe redefining visual difficulty as an effect.

What do you all think?

Ok, was this video pulled already cause I can't find it?

A block about 5-6 deep that tails off to several curves making a point at the top left. Then make many variations of that every season. I think that's been in every show recently. He is really good, just saying :cool:

What moments in the video of 05 are you guys talking about?