The Roof Is Open Right Now

i hope that something puts a hole in the roof... then some storm come along and the field gets all wet. WHY THE #### would you design a stadium that can be open to the elements, not be able to take the elements.... my logic meter has gone out the roof..... oh ####........ like i just keep thinking about it... and that stadium is a half ###ed POS and I'm glad it's not my football team's stadium....

oh well... i'm just ###### that DCI finals have to be there... if it wasn't for that I wouldn't give a rats ### about the stadium.

It was very comfortable though....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope that something puts a hole in the roof... then some storm come along and the field gets all wet. WHY THE #### would you design a stadium that can be open to the elements, not be able to take the elements.... my logic meter has gone out the roof..... oh ####........ like i just keep thinking about it... and that stadium is a half ###ed POS and I'm glad it's not my football team's stadium....

oh well... i'm just ###### that DCI finals have to be there... if it wasn't for that I wouldn't give a rats ### about the stadium.

It was very comfortable though....

Nice save at the end. :cool:

Additionally, "speakers, scoreboards and other electronic equipment are exposed."

I call BS on this. The University of Tennessee just put in a MASSIVE new jumbotron and in 2007 put LED boards around the entire upper bowl of Neyland Stadium and they are exposed to nature and what it has to dish out every day. We have had rain during and after installation of both and neither have malfunctioned yet.

Edited by UTtrumpetdude

It really does appear that there isn't any drainage system:

Colts Senior Exec VP Pete Ward said, "Whenever there is an imminent threat of rain, we're going to close the roof." The stadium "is not waterproof," and unlike Reliant Stadium and Univ. of Phoenix Stadium, the field "has no drainage." Additionally, "speakers, scoreboards and other electronic equipment are exposed."

Then, maybe they should have saved the money spent on a retractable roof. I'm sure a permanent roof would have been cheaper. Then spend the money on acoustic tiles instead!

Garry in Vegas

I call BS on this. The University of Tennessee just put in a MASSIVE new jumbotron and in 2007 put LED boards around the entire upper bowl of Neyland Stadium and they are exposed to nature and what it has to dish out every day. We have had rain during and after installation of both and neither have malfunctioned yet.

Obviously UT installed equipment meant to be kept and maintained outdoors. LOS did not require weatherized equipment and installed equipment more applicable to 'interior' use, or maybe more specifically, made the financial decision that weatherized equipment was not essential.

with the roof being closed the majority of the time, and their weather policy in place for all events, it was a good decision.

If Lucas doesn't work out, you guys can have DCI at my place--I have extra folding chairs and a garage for park 'n blo. Neighbors won't mind. They'll shine flashlights from the porches for extra lighting. Tickets will be free, but you have to bring enough pizza and beers for everyone. I'll pass out score sheets so we can all be judges--that way the show will be assessed by us know-it-all professionals and we'll get 'er dun rite.

There was another interesting thing about the "open-roof" Colts' game last Friday (with temps in the upper 80s) as mentioned in the OP. On the NFL Network broadcast of the game , the local Indy station advertised that it was running a contest in which the winner would get 2 tix to a Colt's game and also get to press a button to open the roof. Doesn't seem like a big deal (or expense) to them does it!

We are not the Colts.

Well..............some of us are! Not I, but I remember a certain corps by that name being there this year!

(chuckle, yuk)

Dear drum corpsers

I have been hearing and reading much about the whole "open roof" thing and I have a kind of wierd story to share about it. I know it doesn't take a lot of brains to figure out why the sounds sucks in a dome type stadium, but what really is the problem? If the corps are playing into a big mass of bodys, what is causing the echo? anyone???

The roof?

correct!

BUTT, why?

OK, here comes the story. I have a friend that runs a hot air balloon company in the Stillwater MN. area. The night of the Drum Beauty show he flew over the contest and much to his surprise, it was really loud. Normaly at 2000 feet, all city noise is gone, but on this night he flew over 5-8 world class corps all warming up. He said he could not hear any horns, just drums and keyboards. He said he was too high to see the corps, but he said it was loud!! Freaked him out abit.

so to answer my own question on the dome, I blame the drums first.

Thank you

eat at Patrick's :throwupen: