Question for critics of the synths/electronics

Damaging to their technique, as in having to attack their keyboards using more arm and elbow rather than initiating from their fulcrum. Purely because they needed to project.

Aside from that, I've seen tons of damaged, cracked keys because of aggressive playing.

Amplifying keyboards allows for long-term durability of instruments and a wider range of color/timbre from the pit.

Uh huh. So......when's the aggressive playing gonna stop??

• Like 1

I just don't think anything that needs to be plugged in should be on the field. Period.

I've ALWAYS hated electronic sounds mixed with acoustic sounds, no matter the venue. Mic it all or have it all acoustic. Don't mix it.

So you can't listen to Dave Weckl, Chick Corea, Michel Camilo, Led Zzepplin, The Beatles or any other music besides some classical and ragtime? Wow, I feel bad for you!

Damaging to their technique, as in the darlings can't possibly adjust their technique? Please, let's give them more credit. BTW, why haven't pits adjusted their technique to that coveted concert hall style? They've had amps for years now.

See below.

Damaging to their technique, as in having to attack their keyboards using more arm and elbow rather than initiating from their fulcrum. Purely because they needed to project.

Aside from that, I've seen tons of damaged, cracked keys because of aggressive playing.

Amplifying keyboards allows for long-term durability of instruments and a wider range of color/timbre from the pit.

I've marched a non-amplified pit and an amplified pit and the richness of sound is far superior in the amped one. Go figure.

What does this have to do with his statement?

Simply put, before amplification was allowed, pit members had to slam and ram on their keys, in ways that ARE NOT USED in the orchestral setting, and may have caused some kids to potentially shy away from the drum corps "higher, louder, faster" mentality.

With amplification, pit percussion members can now play as if they are truly in the concert hall, without worrying about playing in ways that are potentially damaging to their technique.

Brass players and drummers have to carry instuments in invented ways, play very loudly, and point their instruments to the press box while running. Ways that ARE NOT USED in the orchestral setting.

If instruments must be played "as if they were truely in a concert hall", then play them in a concert hall. In case it has escaped some folks, drum corps shows aren't performed in a "hall".

I'm sure everyone who has marched with electronics can share a problem story.

Did someone march with electronics? All the performances I saw, the electronics were used on stationary instruments, some with the performers seated.

If you play it grounded, fine. But if you can't march with it, it has no business in a drum corps.

I don't like mic'd pits either but the equipment is very expensive and like the other poster mentioned take a real beating.

The mic'd pit also sounds so much better and allows the players to not only be heard but to play correctly...like another poster stated. As to the overall sound of drum corps since the days that I marched, it's probably the single biggest improvement in creating a more musical ensemble.

For those two reasons I accept them. I'm not sure how many here really remember what pits sounded like in the pre mic years but I guess you can go back and listen..."ping, ping, ping, clang".

My only real complaint is that they are WAY to loud.

As to other mics, electronic instruments and synts? YUCK, dangerous waters (MO).

I played electric bass professionally (even toured with KISS, RadioHead and a mess of other bands) for 10 years but would never want to play bass guitar in a drum corps show, so it's not just prejudges against the instrument, I just don't think they belong out there, my $.02 anyway.

Brass players and drummers have to carry instuments in invented ways, play very loudly, and point their instruments to the press box while running. Ways that ARE NOT USED in the orchestral setting.

If instruments must be played "as if they were truely in a concert hall", then play them in a concert hall. In case it has escaped some folks, drum corps shows aren't performed in a "hall".

Yeah-it's drum corps-a distinctive musical form. There is no need for synths or amps.

Ok, here goes...

Anything that helps to balance those instruments (keyboard percussion mostly) that cannot physically balance themselves with the brass ensemble is, in my view, a decent idea. (I say this granted that some of the over-amplification issues are worked-out.)

That having been said... I abhor the idea that synths doubling/octaving the bass pitches with the volume jacked is allowed. Even though the sound isn't exactly the same, I'm tired of seeing corps on the field with 8 contras sound like they have 20. I'm all for advocating BALANCE, but...ok, I'll say it, doing it with amplified bass sounds from the synths DOES seem like...cheating.

Uh huh. So......when's the aggressive playing gonna stop??

I believe it has. No longer do we hear mallet lines sledging away at their instruments solely with hard yarn, cord, rubber, or brass mallets on fragile rosewood keyboards.

I understand that some front ensembles still play with force and articulation. However, amplification allows them to do so with proper piston and/or musser-stevens technique that will not damage their instruments or produce a harsh, brash tone.

Edited by do.it.up.

Did someone march with electronics? All the performances I saw, the electronics were used on stationary instruments, some with the performers seated.

If you play it grounded, fine. But if you can't march with it, it has no business in a drum corps.

maybe I should rephrase... what I was trying to say is, I'm sure anyone who marched in a corps that used electronics/amplification can tell a story about a show they performed when the electronics/amplification didn't work as it was supposed to, at some point in the season.

What does this have to do with his statement?

Simply put, before amplification was allowed, pit members had to slam and ram on their keys, in ways that ARE NOT USED in the orchestral setting, and may have caused some kids to potentially shy away from the drum corps "higher, louder, faster" mentality.

It may have something to do with not being in an orchestral setting.

With amplification, pit percussion members can now play as if they are truly in the concert hall, without worrying about playing in ways that are potentially damaging to their technique.

And if they can't adjust from venue to venue, they're not very good players. Just sayin'.