Woodwinds in Drum Corps?

As a sax player, I'm all for woodwinds in the pit. Actually, I'm in favor for a "whatever the hell you want in the pit" rule. If you want a saxophone in the pit, go ahead. If you want a cello in the pit, go ahead. If you want a choir in the pit, go ahead. If you want a cage full of monkeys in the pit, go ahead.

And I have a problem with people saying that woodwinds will be the death of drum corps. Under that logic, drum corps died forever ago when there where mallets, making it no longer drum and bugle corps.

http://www.marchingbandplanet.com/

When I was in drum corps, I played a drum and did as drum corps did. When I was in high school band, I played french horn and did as the band did. Did them at the same time (That's right, I'm transbandercorpsguy) and knew the difference. Right away. Had fun in both for different reasons. You play sax? Why waste a cool a## sound like that on Drum Corps? Lame-o. Get with a quartet and throw the real down. Don't bring your football to a baseball game.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They differentiate it with the "Marching Music's Major League" moniker - you're going to see the quality of performance. Rightly or wrongly, they actually *do* have a plan there, I think.

Mike

(And I hope I made clear I'm totally *not* calling you out on these posts - just furthering the discussion! :tongue:)

Mike it sounds like they have a plan, and you hate to be cynical and hope they have the best intentions but, in reality, these changes always were and always will be to benefit a minority. The ego-driven those that think they are bigger than the activity they inherited.

If the goal was truly to give the kids the best time they coul dhave, they would factor in crowd , fan, alumni involvement and wouldnt be so hell bent on morphing the activity into a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Changing everything, adding everything, bugles, keys, amplification, electronics, etc....all driven by money , deals, and everything else for the wrong reasons.

Marching musics major league, ok. Fine. How does changing drum corps into marching bands make it a better more fufilling, unique experience for those that are going to participate in it ??

G

When I was in drum corps, I played a drum and did as drum corps did. When I was in high school band, I played french horn and did as the band did. Did them at the same time (That's right, I'm transbandercorpsguy) and knew the difference. Right away. Had fun in both for different reasons. You play sax? Why waste a cool a## sound like that on Drum Corps? Lame-o. Get with a quartet and throw the real down. Don't bring your football to a baseball game.

Bingo, dont serve stuffed shells at a chinese restaurant !!

G

Changing everything, adding everything, bugles, keys, amplification, electronics, etc....all driven by money , deals, and everything else for the wrong reasons.

I may be a cynic, but I do agree that Yamaha's contributions to all of this might be larger than we think. :tongue:

Mike

Why would a 17-year-old kid spend his discretionary income on a drum corps show? Why not just spend it on a marching band show a month later? What is to differentiate a drum corps show, from a marching band contest, which will probably be much cheaper anyway?

Because they're the Blue Devils, Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Cavies, etc. etc.

Just because they have a couple clarinets doesn't mean they're gonna stop dedicating themselves to excellence. I couldn't care less about the volume. I could hand an 8 year old a trumpet and they'll play as loud as they can. I'd rather hear powerful music, and the potential for making music more powerful and emotional can only go up by adding instrumentation.

here's a question, and I hope this comes out right.

Since marching band is generally looked down upon by society ( hello, American Pie)....why are the powers that be trying to morph it into something universally mocked outside of our little niche of the world?

Thats my question...in their quest to bring in newer younger fans and more mass appeal...they market themselves and change rules to be more like the most mocked group activity this side of Congress.

Because they're completely different. Maybe it's just me, but if the Blue Devils called and told me to catch a flight to Concord because they need a sax player, I'd pack my bags right now. Why? It's the Blue Devils. It's Phantom Regiment. It's whatever corps you're interested in. It's drum corps. I know what people are going to say as a rebuttle. "It isn't drum corps if you have your saxophone." Why is that? As it stands, DCI/DCA is the only major marching "league" in the country. If there were a MBI, I'd join that. But since DCI is the big daddy, and since they have the most room for creative gain, then I'd like to go there.

Note: I'm learning Baritone and I fully plan on auditioning once I'm out of high school. I just think that if there are kids out there that don't have the chance to learn a new instrument, should they be left out of the opportunity of a lifetime? And if X corps director wants them in their corps, should they be left out of the opportunity for a sound that perfectly aligns with their imagination?

To Jeff: 'Cause they don't have any real intention anymore of marketing it to the wide world, I think. I think when they stopped the ESPN broadcast, it was pretty much admitting that it wasn't bringing in new audiences like they thought it would. Instead, they went with the (yes, cheaper, too) option to bring Semis / Finals to your PC and DVD, mainly aimed at current fans, or at least folks who know what it is.

Mike

To Jeff: 'Cause they don't have any real intention anymore of marketing it to the wide world, I think. I think when they stopped the ESPN broadcast, it was pretty much admitting that it wasn't bringing in new audiences like they thought it would. Instead, they went with the (yes, cheaper, too) option to bring Semis / Finals to your PC and DVD, mainly aimed at current fans, or at least folks who know what it is.

Mike

but the push to become band continues