new Stadium

Akron homer here-- yes, this would be a good local show site but not that great for a regional. Parking will be a pain as there are no nearby lots. I think the parking situation will be interesting to watch at the university and downtown this fall as games start up, probably going to be a pain. No easy nearby warm-up lots. This is a run-down downtown area, so a few wrong turns and you are in bad neighborhoods. The number of nearby local schools is going to be comparable to the Centerville show, or Bluecoats home show in Massillon just a half hour south of here - probably enough for 8 to 10 corps, but stretching that to a regional with 20+ corps is going to be very difficult to find places for everyone to stay.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the hour thing, IMO will be an issue. that was a huge complaint in 2008

You can fly into Akron Canton Airport, a 20 min drive from this stadium. Delta, Airtran, etc all have regional jets into that airport.

You can fly into Akron Canton Airport, a 20 min drive from this stadium. Delta, Airtran, etc all have regional jets into that airport.

thats a plus. hell. harrisburg may even fly direct :tongue:

There are plenty of hotels in Akron for fans and lots of schools that could be approached for housing opportunities fro corps. Also, for games at least, the university has a shuttle service to all downtown parking garages. Possibly get them to run it for finals?

I wonder if anyone's ever thought of building a stadium with underground parking....under the field itself, perhaps...

probably more cost than its worth.. under the field you'd probably be fine, but you'd have to engineer the parking structure itself to be able to hold the weight of the stadium if it went under that. I would think itd be more cost effective just to build either parking lots on open land or just really big adjacent parking garages. Not to mention that theres usually decent crowds around stadiums, so youd have to find some way to have easy access to the underground areas.... which could be a logistical nightmare.

The new Minnesota stadium looks fantastic. I believe the logistics in Minneapolis would be much better than Akron as well. It's a hub for Northwest, so there will be plenty of direct flights, and there are plenty of hotels and things to do in the Twin Cities.

Yeah, we really need to get a show up there, if not a regional.

probably more cost than its worth.. under the field you'd probably be fine, but you'd have to engineer the parking structure itself to be able to hold the weight of the stadium if it went under that. I would think itd be more cost effective just to build either parking lots on open land or just really big adjacent parking garages. Not to mention that theres usually decent crowds around stadiums, so youd have to find some way to have easy access to the underground areas.... which could be a logistical nightmare.

How about a buried parking structure -- not under the stadium -- with LOTS of entry/exit points? (ti would help keep cars cooler, too.)

Land is at a premium...and parking lots for major stadiums take up huge tracts o' land ($1 to Monty Python)...far more than the stadium itself.

Might be a way to put a good venue into more limited space.

here's the big question..

what the towns infrastructure? hotels? airports? etc?

not thrilled with Indy, but you need a plce that's accessible and has stuff for people

If Jackson, MS was able to support finals I am sure Akron can pull it off with ease. I personally would love to see Arrowhead get used again... but I am not runnin' this show... :tongue: