What was the reason for not allowing amplification prior to 2004?

i tell ya what...at a DCA show tonight, pits came thru unamped just fine, especially Bucs and cabs

Opinion.

As for Yamaha being the most prominent synth company:

I saw a ton of M-Audio's being used, because those corps were not sponsered by Yamaha.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've talked to Yamaha employees who laugh at your assertion. What do you actually think transpired between Yamaha reps and DCI corps directors? If you're saying, for example, Yamaha talked to DCI corps directors who are endorsed by Yamaha and said, "if synths pass, what would you be looking for?" then I'd say that's probable. If you're saying, for example, Yamaha talked to DCI corps directors who are endorsed by Yamaha and said, "synths need to pass: make it happen" that's laughable. What exactly do you think happened between Yamaha/DCI in regards to recent DCI rule changes?

Funny how you didn't mention the following scenario: Yamaha talking to DCI corps directors who aren't endorsed by Yamaha....some of whom become endorsed by Yamaha after certain rule changes take effect.

Some proponents of these changes claimed that endorsements would increase if these rule changes took place. I never got a clear explanation of why they held that belief....but they seem to have been correct about it. Was it quid-pro-quo? Did DCI directors merely guess that one or two more competitors would stimulate deeper endorsement budgets across the whole industry? Or is the truth somewhere in between, as is so often the case?

Opinion.

As for Yamaha being the most prominent synth company:

I saw a ton of M-Audio's being used, because those corps were not sponsered by Yamaha.

fact. pits came thru loud and clear, especially the ones with 50+ brass

fact. pits came thru loud and clear, especially the ones with 50+ brass

Considering Jeff was there, I'll accept his position.

Garry in Vegas

The reason is that prior to 2004, DCI was an organization of Drum and Bugle Corps, not of marching bands. So sad to witness the decline of a once-great activitity.

QFT !

Considering Jeff was there, I'll accept his position.

Garry in Vegas

and 2 rows down from the press box

I think I would gladly die from laughter if I ever found out for certain that the whole reason DCI added amplification was to #### off arrogant blowhards who think that their way of moving around a football field in funny-looking uniforms is better than others just because of the instruments they held in their hand, or parked on the sideline.

no it was the way to get voice electronics, micced solos and the rest approved.