Move-in day and HS students

My daughter is a HS junior and is going to audition for a WC corps this fall. My concern is that the move in day for brass in this corps in in mid May. I'm not terribly concerned about her missing the last month of school work. That she can either do before she goes, or we can definitely work something out with her teachers. The problem is that she is the lead player in the jazz band and they have a big show they do every year that runs for four days scheduled the week after the move in date for the corps. I imagine it would be a big deal to either miss the first two weeks, or be there for 4 days and then miss a week. I know we'll have to have these discussions with both her band director and the corps if she is selected, so I'm probably jumping the gun, but I want to be fully prepared if she does well enough to be selected. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with juggling HS commitments and moving in with a corps who might have some advice. It does help that her band director and asst director both marched DCI, so they may be a tad more understanding. ;)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter is a HS junior and is going to audition for a WC corps this fall. My concern is that the move in day for brass in this corps in in mid May. I'm not terribly concerned about her missing the last month of school work. That she can either do before she goes, or we can definitely work something out with her teachers. The problem is that she is the lead player in the jazz band and they have a big show they do every year that runs for four days scheduled the week after the move in date for the corps. I imagine it would be a big deal to either miss the first two weeks, or be there for 4 days and then miss a week. I know we'll have to have these discussions with both her band director and the corps if she is selected, so I'm probably jumping the gun, but I want to be fully prepared if she does well enough to be selected. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with juggling HS commitments and moving in with a corps who might have some advice. It does help that her band director and asst director both marched DCI, so they may be a tad more understanding. ;)

My experience has always been that all corps honor School Commitments first and foremost. If the member was worthy of getting a contract, there will be little concern over missing a day or a couple of days at the beginning of move in. This is a question for the caption heads and the corps director after your daughter has received her contract. In fact, I bet they expect such conversations. Just do it early so they have clear notice that there is a school conflict. Best of luck on her journey :)

All corps have kids coming and going all through Spring Training. My son did two years at Crossmen while still in high school. He was able to be at most of Spring Training but had to come home for finals and to graduate. The band director excused him from the Memorial Day parade and a few other events.

Tell her to ask her caption head at auditions and when she's offered a spot. I think most corps are pretty flexible about moving in half-way through spring training, some even more flexible.

If she's in the jazz band and the schedule conflicts a bit with spring training I think that most corps would consider that to be a school commitment and cut her some slack. The biggest problem that I've heard from kids is getting permission to take their finals early - but that usually depends are what school system they're enrolled in.

shouldn't school come first? I wouldn't miss the last month of school. I think it's pretty universally understood that colleges get out before high schools, and the corps accomodate that. And if a corps doesn't, I would say you don't want any part of that corps in the first place.

shouldn't school come first? I wouldn't miss the last month of school. I think it's pretty universally understood that colleges get out before high schools, and the corps accomodate that. And if a corps doesn't, I would say you don't want any part of that corps in the first place.

When you are a high school student competing for a spot in a world class corps and you tell them you are going to miss three weeks of Spring Training and someone else can be there the whole time, who do you think is going to get the spot? My son got a clear message that he needed to work out the school conflict in a way that he was at Spring Training the majority of the time and the corps helped make it happen by writing a letter to the principal.

When you are a high school student competing for a spot in a world class corps and you tell them you are going to miss three weeks of Spring Training and someone else can be there the whole time, who do you think is going to get the spot? My son got a clear message that he needed to work out the school conflict in a way that he was at Spring Training the majority of the time and the corps helped make it happen by writing a letter to the principal.

Okay - But I don't agree with that at all. Drum corps is not, and never will be, more important than school. And shame on them for making you feel that way.

So, at the most she'd be gone for 4 days? My guess is that if she was up front with the corps (section leader, etc) then they should be able to work around it.

Let the corps know when/if she is offered a contract or just before contract time. I wouldn't bother saying anything at the first few camps....that is feel it out time for both the corps and prospective member.

Please be aware that for every day a corps member misses, it wastes time later when the corps is playing catch-up and re-teaching whole parts of the show to the member that missed camp time. Don't be surprised if a corps passes on a prospective member because they have other commitments and can't attend part or all of spring training.

I agree with the other poster that school comes first, but if a motivated kid can arrange and handle taking finals early they should do it. There is no sense in sitting in a classroom while the school takes a snails pace to the finish line.....finish up your work and hit the road if possible!