All about Mr. Donnie VanDoren Brass?

A lot has been said about Mr. Donnie VanDoren, especially in light of the Madison threads. I want to clarify/complete some information about him.

I know that he is often credited with that beautiful lush sound of Star of Indiana. He's also been given a lot of the credit for the beautiful sound of Carolina Crown. I have two questions that could use a little discussion here on DCP - one about his history, the other about his brass teaching techniques.

1. Where has DVD been over the years, and in what specific capacity? Someone mentioned that he is not Crown's brass head, but he is a musical advisor. What does that mean? I'm not sure about the specific capacities throughout the years, so please help fill in the blanks.

2. What is special or different about DVD's teaching and techniques? I know that I personally love the brass sound for Star and for Crown. When everybody mentions him as a big part of this, I am personally in awe. But what does he do that is different? Is there anybody here who has worked with him that can help?

Bonus Question: Will DVD still be able to work with Crown and fulfill his new roll at Madison? Or, has he laid the groundwork at Crown to allow them to continue without him?

A lot has been said about Mr. Donnie VanDoren, especially in light of the Madison threads. I want to clarify/complete some information about him.

I know that he is often credited with that beautiful lush sound of Star of Indiana. He's also been given a lot of the credit for the beautiful sound of Carolina Crown. I have two questions that could use a little discussion here on DCP - one about his history, the other about his brass teaching techniques.

1. Where has DVD been over the years, and in what specific capacity? Someone mentioned that he is not Crown's brass head, but he is a musical advisor. What does that mean? I'm not sure about the specific capacities throughout the years, so please help fill in the blanks.

2. What is special or different about DVD's teaching and techniques? I know that I personally love the brass sound for Star and for Crown. When everybody mentions him as a big part of this, I am personally in awe. But what does he do that is different? Is there anybody here who has worked with him that can help?

Bonus Question: Will DVD still be able to work with Crown and fulfill his new roll at Madison? Or, has he laid the groundwork at Crown to allow them to continue without him?

I am passing on #1 and on #2 having not worked with Mr. VanDoren. I will, however accept your bonus question. And I will answer it more generically and paint a future potential picture for DCI drum corp over this next decade...

Mr. Van Doren works for an Arts Consulting Group...really a co-op run by Mr. James Mason.

In this capacity, he has a certain expertise in areas such as brass playing technique and apparently design and instructional staff management.

He, and I'm sure there are others...can be used as an expert for one DCI organization in one specific area and as an expert in another area for a different corps. So in this way, this person can...maximize his effectiveness and revenue by spreading his talent as wide as possible.

It marks a new approach and don't expect that the idea behind MEG won't be duplicated elsewhere. I could see this arts consulting idea take off.

Now, here are the upside...the best instructors have the opportunity to touch more kids with their talent.

Here's the possible downside...it could lead to too much...yes, even more, homogeny in the on the field products and the fans, who currently aren't happy with the amount of homogeny they are seeing today, certainly won't tolerate more of it.

My 2 centavos on a Friday afternoon.

A brief resumé...

1980 - 1984: Brass Caption Head, Garfield Cadets (1983, 1984 DCI Champions)

1985: Brass Caption Head, Troopers (DCI Finalist with a VERY young corps)

1986, 1988 - 1993: Brass Caption Head, Star of Indiana (1991 DCI Champions)

A Caption Head is basically the "main" instructor for that particular section of the corps. The Caption Head decides the why/how of the instruction, and the techs give more detailed instruction to the corps based on the Caption Head's instructions to the rest of the staff. (This is just a cursory definition, but it'll have to do.)

1994 - 1998: Music Manager, Brass Theater (the evolution of Star of Indiana)

1998 - 1999: Brass Caption Head, The Cadets (1998 DCI Champions)

2004: DCI Hall of Fame (Also a member of The Cadets Hall of Fame and Star of Indiana Wall of Fame)

2005 - present: Brass Consultant, Blue Stars and Carolina Crown

Present: COO and Casting Director for M.E.G. (Mason Entertainment Group). Helped cast the Tony Award-winning "BLAST".

Edited by hostrauser

A brief resumé...

1980 - 1984: Brass Caption Head, Garfield Cadets (1983, 1984 DCI Champions)

1985: Brass Caption Head, Troopers (DCI Finalist with a VERY young corps)

1986, 1988 - 1993: Brass Caption Head, Star of Indiana (1991 DCI Champions)

A Caption Head is basically the "main" instructor for that particular section of the corps. The Caption Head decides the why/how of the instruction, and the techs give more detailed instruction to the corps based on the Caption Head's instructions to the rest of the staff. (This is just a cursory definition, but it'll have to do.)

1994 - 1998: Music Manager, Brass Theater (the evolution of Star of Indiana)

1998 - 1999: Brass Caption Head, The Cadets (1998 DCI Champions)

2004: DCI Hall of Fame (Also a member of The Cadets Hall of Fame and Star of Indiana Wall of Fame)

2005 - present: Brass Consultant, Blue Stars and Carolina Crown

Present: COO and Casting Director for M.E.G. (Mason Entertainment Group). Helped cast the Tony Award-winning "BLAST".

member.....1975 Hawthorne Muchachos

He also worked with the Crossmen in 1979 and the Bridgemen in 1980

Edited by George82

you know, I don't think too many people would be complaining if they heard more hornlines that had as lush a sound as Carolina Crown. I think the biggest result of someone like DVD or someone else working with multiple corps is that we'd see more corps (hornlines in this case) play beautifully with a technique that is clearly successful in the marching arts.

I learned more about playing my brass instrument in two years with Jim Prime and Donny Van Doren (Cadets) than I did in three years at Duke Ellington School of the Arts. Donny is intense and thorough and Madison will be light years better. I can live with this type of "homogeny".

Tim "Shorty" Bartholomew and Scott Sluter learned from DVD in the early 80s Cadet hornlines. They have been on staff for Jersey Surf for over a decade and have also taught Cadets and Troopers. Shorty was the brass caption head and Scott the lead tech for Crossmen in 1992, when I marched. It's been over fifteen years, and I haven't marched since then. Nor do I have any other horn line experience to compare.

The two mantras were "breathe and play" (sometimes "breathe-dah") and "move your feet." One should breathe for the full count before entering. This not only helped with support, but ensured a proper valuation of a rest, ensuring that the ensemble stayed together. The "dah" tongue attack (as opposed to a glottal, a sharp 'tah' or a lip attack) also aided with ensemble, I believe. The feet obviously had to do with timing as well.

Another mantra was "no holes." We were to listen to each other and stagger-breathe accordingly to ensure no drop-outs in the sound. Any re-attack should be made at a softer dynamic and then increase. One of the ways this was rehearsed during brass block was to "play" block chords or certain sections of the show using air only through the horns. Not only did it save the chops, but it gave the instructors something different to listen to and forced us to focus on how we were using air versus "how do we sound? Can I play loud?"

DVD-inspired hornlines have often been bass-heavy, as opposed to the value placed in Wayne Downey lines on a strong soprano section full of screamers. Although listen to this year's Carolina Crown; they have a fantastic soprano line.

These are my memories and impressions.

you know, I don't think too many people would be complaining if they heard more hornlines that had as lush a sound as Carolina Crown. I think the biggest result of someone like DVD or someone else working with multiple corps is that we'd see more corps (hornlines in this case) play beautifully with a technique that is clearly successful in the marching arts.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't care who the staffers are and I don't care who the corps are. But if you give me 18 corps that sound exactly the same and are playing at the level of Star/BD/Crown, et al, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Bring it.

I learned more about playing my brass instrument in two years with Jim Prime and Donny Van Doren (Cadets) than I did in three years at Duke Ellington School of the Arts. Donny is intense and thorough and Madison will be light years better. I can live with this type of "homogeny".

Has anyone heard if Dr. Nick Williams' services will be retained? I haven't heard anything that leads me to understand that Nick is out, only that DVD and Mason are in, in other capacities.