Stadium Fix....seriously...

Forgive me if this has already been said somewhere, I can only read through so many pages of "I'm not ever going there" before they all start sounding the same.

Freedom of Info:

1)Yes, I'm From Indiana.

2)Yes, I am admittedly happy watching finals in a middle school stadium if it's just a couple hours away.

While I can't help how hopelessly pessimistic SO MANY people are about LOS, it seems like a simple fix is already available.

I'm not a sound engineer, I'm not an expert, but I made an effort to sit in every section of the stadium after reading DCP on Thursday of finals week. Yes, there are line of sight issues, but those seats will eventually become less expensive, it's the free market. Honestly, we're Drum Corps people. If there are empty seats that are better, MOST of us are going to move. How many of us have paid nothing to get into a show and bragged about it? People are smart and will adapt to that, it's not a deal breaker.

Now, the Acoustics are admittedly a concern, but only if they are not addressed with the technology already being utilized in part of the stadium.

I sat in the seat directly below the number 4 in the section 640. Highest seat on the 50, and it was honestly the best sounding seat in the house. Bass drums were clean, even if visually delayed. Horns got UP! LOADS of goosebumps. I'm looking around and the top rim of the stadium is the ONLY surface in the place covered with what I assume are sound dampening panels (Corrugated with little holes). I start looking around and realize every other vertical surface in the place is concrete, and it clicks, at least to me, that they just need to put it everywhere. Obviously "everywhere" is a lot of places, but we are a lot of money (Collectively DCI/MFA/ISSMA/) and a lot of business. Concerts are worth even more.

It did suck in a lot of places.

It CAN be fixed

Even I would be a little more comfortable if someone somewhere at least acknowledged something "less than perfect"

Michael

I sat in the seat directly below the number 4 in the section 640. Highest seat on the 50, and it was honestly the best sounding seat in the house. Bass drums were clean, even if visually delayed. Horns got UP! LOADS of goosebumps.

It CAN be fixed

Michael

FWIW, I'm with you on all fronts. We sat in 400 something on Friday night and in 64? on Saturday (about on the 47 :laughing: ). Really bad sound in the 400s, **much** clearer sound upstairs with reasonable volume.

This is 2009, there has to be a technical solution to this. I'm not sure DCI/BOA has much clout, but the fact that the stadium owners were responding to the concerns of a big country music star (Kenny Chesney?) seems more promising to me.

Forgive me if this has already been said somewhere, I can only read through so many pages of "I'm not ever going there" before they all start sounding the same.

Freedom of Info:

1)Yes, I'm From Indiana.

2)Yes, I am admittedly happy watching finals in a middle school stadium if it's just a couple hours away.

While I can't help how hopelessly pessimistic SO MANY people are about LOS, it seems like a simple fix is already available.

I'm not a sound engineer, I'm not an expert, but I made an effort to sit in every section of the stadium after reading DCP on Thursday of finals week. Yes, there are line of sight issues, but those seats will eventually become less expensive, it's the free market. Honestly, we're Drum Corps people. If there are empty seats that are better, MOST of us are going to move. How many of us have paid nothing to get into a show and bragged about it? People are smart and will adapt to that, it's not a deal breaker.

Now, the Acoustics are admittedly a concern, but only if they are not addressed with the technology already being utilized in part of the stadium.

I sat in the seat directly below the number 4 in the section 640. Highest seat on the 50, and it was honestly the best sounding seat in the house. Bass drums were clean, even if visually delayed. Horns got UP! LOADS of goosebumps. I'm looking around and the top rim of the stadium is the ONLY surface in the place covered with what I assume are sound dampening panels (Corrugated with little holes). I start looking around and realize every other vertical surface in the place is concrete, and it clicks, at least to me, that they just need to put it everywhere. Obviously "everywhere" is a lot of places, but we are a lot of money (Collectively DCI/MFA/ISSMA/) and a lot of business. Concerts are worth even more.

It did suck in a lot of places.

It CAN be fixed

Even I would be a little more comfortable if someone somewhere at least acknowledged something "less than perfect"

Michael

Hey, if they can possibly "fix" the sound there (although I am a bit skeptical....).....great......I am just not sure that it can be fixed, though, and it was really awful where I was sitting (40 yard line just 10 yards from the booth.....)......I don't think it's that people "want" it to be bad, and nothing against Indy itself.....I would go back in a heartbeat if they simply moved it down to Bloomington again, but I won't be back to Lucas unless major work has been done and a check, with a corps, was run..............

GB

Sorry, not going to happen. For one, the cost would be enormous. But more importantly, what we want in terms of acoustical properties in that facility are exactly the opposite of what is desirable for football. Make no mistake; this is the Colts' stadium. What they want is the law. Any acoustic "treatments" would have to be completely removable and easy enough to put up and take down quickly for various events. I just don't see any significant changes here.

The bottom line is this: either the drum corps community accepts the situation as is and continues to buy tickets in sufficient numbers to make Championships viable in Indy, or ticket sales fall below a point that DCI will have no choice but to move the Championships to another location, or go under completely.

Sorry, not going to happen. For one, the cost would be enormous. But more importantly, what we want in terms of acoustical properties in that facility are exactly the opposite of what is desirable for football. Make no mistake; this is the Colts' stadium. What they want is the law. Any acoustic "treatments" would have to be completely removable and easy enough to put up and take down quickly for various events. I just don't see any significant changes here.

The bottom line is this: either the drum corps community accepts the situation as is and continues to buy tickets in sufficient numbers to make Championships viable in Indy, or ticket sales fall below a point that DCI will have no choice but to move the Championships to another location, or go under completely.

Between DCI, BOA, et al who use the stadium for OUR uses I'm sure they could pool resources to have the dampener panels built and put up/torn down after our events thus not interfering with The Colts. Guess what, using a dome is expensive and if we can't afford to make it work for us then we shouldn't have committed to it in the first place.

Hey, if they can possibly "fix" the sound there (although I am a bit skeptical....).....great......I am just not sure that it can be fixed, though, and it was really awful where I was sitting (40 yard line just 10 yards from the booth.....)......I don't think it's that people "want" it to be bad, and nothing against Indy itself.....I would go back in a heartbeat if they simply moved it down to Bloomington again, but I won't be back to Lucas unless major work has been done and a check, with a corps, was run..............

GB

I seriously doubt that there are enough of us who won't go back to LOS to force a move to another venue, though I am definitely one of those who will not return. My guess is that finals will continue to be viable at LOS just from parents, family, fans who will go no matter what, and locals. Really, I'm guessing that fewer than 10% of those of us who are vocally disappointed with LOS will actually choose to not return. Even I, being avowed today to not return, have to admit that there's a 25% chance I'll change my mind by June 2010.

I seriously doubt that there are enough of us who won't go back to LOS to force a move to another venue, though I am definitely one of those who will not return. My guess is that finals will continue to be viable at LOS just from parents, family, fans who will go no matter what, and locals. Really, I'm guessing that fewer than 10% of those of us who are vocally disappointed with LOS will actually choose to not return. Even I, being avowed today to not return, have to admit that there's a 25% chance I'll change my mind by June 2010.

Interesting.

This may be dead on, I don't know.

We can speculate all we like, but what will count is what happens to revenues at DCI. For championship week, sure, but not just that... across the board. There's a big picture of financial data that almost nobody here has any access to, and the ones who do are not going to share it publicly unless the situation is cratering. And for the first two or three years of Indy, the picture's likely to be fuzzy anyway.

The other issue with this is that if the acoustical treatments (which also can't cover up things like glass panels on skyboxes or at the bottom of the upper decks because then they block the view of spectators) are "easy enough to put up and take down quickly for various events", then they're also easy enough for audience members to trash at concerts where things go south, so the folks who run the stadium are unlikely to see such easily-removed acoustical treatments as financially viable, either... unless the materials are dirt-cheap enough to be considered disposable anyway. And even more importantly, perhaps, the panels can become projectiles and hurt people and then the stadium gets sued. So the stadium folks are likely to say the panels have to be hard to remove, and then they don't work for sports events.

Edited by Peel Paint

everybody start saving your old egg cartons....we'll all sneak in one night and cover the walls and beams with them!

the roof wont fix it. sound panels, tarp off the end zones and entire upper level. basically if people dont have tickets for seats, cover the #### up