DCA Weekend Thoughts/Ramblings

I guess it's impossible to have this discussion without someone feeling that certain corps are being attacked, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Again, just for the record, my thoughts on this matter have nothing to do with the Sun Devils or where they placed this weekend.

I think several posters have given you a few answers here but you dont seem to want to hear it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's impossible to have this discussion without someone feeling that certain corps are being attacked, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Again, just for the record, my thoughts on this matter have nothing to do with the Sun Devils or where they placed this weekend.

i have no dogs in this hunt...i'm a paying fan that just wants to be entertained by well performed corps of all classes. this is the first time i wasnt able to see all the corps in prelims in a year i didnt march since probably 1976.

but...i think many of us have answered your question. I'm just not sure you understand what we mean or don't want to

i have no dogs in this hunt...i'm a paying fan that just wants to be entertained by well performed corps of all classes. this is the first time i wasnt able to see all the corps in prelims in a year i didnt march since probably 1976.

but...i think many of us have answered your question. I'm just not sure you understand what we mean or don't want to

This is silly.

Just because I don't agree with your answer doesn't mean I'm tuning you out. I'd be interested in continuing the conversation, but people seem to determined to draw the specific corps into it and that will only lead to hard feelings.

I heard them loud and clear, but some people can't seem to separate the Sun Devils or the other competing corps out of the equation and just look at the judging methods.

actually i only talked about SD in the first two posts. since then I have been discussing the system

This is silly.

Just because I don't agree with your answer doesn't mean I'm tuning you out. I'd be interested in continuing the conversation, but people seem to determined to draw the specific corps into it and that will only lead to hard feelings.

i'll discuss it all day. i haven't brought one corps into the discussion since early on.

but it has been explained to you in a few ways.

The Govies were the clearest, most entertaining class A corps, and that is why they won. They won deservedly. And I was teaching the Class A corps that came second. They played and marched alot of notes, beats and sets. They also still had a few spots that just quite didnt get clear.

The Govies formula this year was well done! Congrats!

DCA

Well if this is what you consider success ( which is great ) then why whine about placement or scores.

I saw SD and thought for a small corps had a great sound . I was very impressed Visually lacks alot and guard totally lacks in members, design, creativity. I think with a focus in that area may have put you in finals.

As the other poster also said YOU DONT GET CREDIT FOR ATTEMPT. If you succeed at something harder then fine you should be way ahead BUT if they achieve with maybe a smater show and you dont with the risk you might take, Sorry no cigar

With that said I do hope to see SD bigger and stronger in 2010

WOW. This has sure taken a left turn!

The age old issue of credit for demand, though not as clean....vs a well executed simpler book. Whether it be music or visual.

That has haunted corps for years.

Bottom line is performance. My friend Dennis Argul said it simply.

You get credit for whats achieved, not whats written on the page.

As far as programming, variety adds spice.

I love my friends at the Govies. They found their groove and are taking it all for what it's worth.

DCA has never been this strong top to bottom....and it's getting even better.

The Sun Devils will be back next year, with a more polished product. Hopefully the revolving door we had this year, which contributed to some of our visual issues, will be a one way only...IN!

And to the fans who gave us multiple standing "O"s at prelims.......you made it worth the 27 hr trip up and the 42 hour trip back. :tongue::worthy::tongue::worthy:

See y'all next year. :tongue: :tongue: :worthy::devil::doh: :doh: :sad:

John Hoekstra

Executive Director

Florida Sun Devils

(No. We are not from Arizona.)

. As our membership grows and matures into the kind of experienced performers corps like Govies and Grenadiers work with, hopefully we'll be able to rival them in cleanliness.

all of your other points are valid I guess in my books...however although Grenadiers do work with experienced performers as you say...there were certainly more inexperienced members than experienced this season.....as a proud Alumnis of Kingston..I know this.......every year is a challenge to try to put a corps on the field..every year is a challenge to meet financial obligations..and find the right mix of staff..etc... ..yes this is true for all corps..I am not saying that....what i am saying is that ..reality??.. Grenadiers as a corps like yours.......went the extra mile and sucked it up and performed as all do...and surprised us all at how far they came and pushed themselves as a corps......second to none.....well.....second to one.......Class "A" next year is going to be more competetive..with SoCal dream and others that couldn't make Rochester this year..coming next year?? wow.... Better just get started now....if you are serious......the clock is ticking!! :tongue:

As far as programming, variety adds spice.

Agree.

Guys, I never meant to say that there is only one way to program for a smaller corps. But IMO, the Govies are THE best at programming for a small corps, on average, year in and year out. They remind me a lot of DCI's Mandarins, during the period when the Mandarins were a Division 3 corps and were dominating that division and sometimes beating corps more than twice their size, all while fielding a corps with only 10 horns or so every year.

BTW, I enjoyed the Sun Devils at prelims....and I thought your score should have been higher. Again, I'm not a judge (thank God), but just a fan. Sunrisers were the first corps to stir the prelims crowd, but Sun Devils were the first to really wake them up.

Fran