DCI dvd pricing

ohbaby

That's just for one season .... what if you say march 4 years and want all for ... or what if your one of those who get the DVDs every year ?

then you've decided they are worth your money. When they are no longer worth your money, you will stop paying for them.

I wanted the instant DVDs of my show, but apparently they already stopped making them the year I started marching.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just for one season .... what if you say march 4 years and want all for ... or what if your one of those who get the DVDs every year ?

The math works the same no matter what. The point is that the longer you listen to past recordings the cheaper they become. If you spent $400 over four years, twenty years ago, and you still listen to them today then that's $20 a year to re-live the greatest four years of your life. If, on the other hand, you paid $400 and only watch them once again in 20 years then your cost per viewing is $400. Can't change the math.

If you buy DVDs this year and are still watching them when YOUR kids (or grandkids) are old enough, and then they get involved and the activity changes their life like it did yours, why, is there a better investment return?

I still have BETA tapes of shows from the early '80s (and the Betamax to play them on!), I have every year of VHS, and I have every year of DVD plus I have every year on either cassette tape or CD. All told I have something like $1300 invested in media and over nearly 30 years that comes out to something like $45 per year.

Now really, where else can you get the goosebumps, smiles, tears, and cheers for all those years for $45 a year?

Isn't b**ching about $100 for DVD a little childish when you consider what you get from them? Really?

Simple demand/price model. Demand is much higher for top-12 vs the rest, price is much higher.

The math works the same no matter what. The point is that the longer you listen to past recordings the cheaper they become. If you spent $400 over four years, twenty years ago, and you still listen to them today then that's $20 a year to re-live the greatest four years of your life. If, on the other hand, you paid $400 and only watch them once again in 20 years then your cost per viewing is $400. Can't change the math.

If you buy DVDs this year and are still watching them when YOUR kids (or grandkids) are old enough, and then they get involved and the activity changes their life like it did yours, why, is there a better investment return?

I still have BETA tapes of shows from the early '80s (and the Betamax to play them on!), I have every year of VHS, and I have every year of DVD plus I have every year on either cassette tape or CD. All told I have something like $1300 invested in media and over nearly 30 years that comes out to something like $45 per year.

Now really, where else can you get the goosebumps, smiles, tears, and cheers for all those years for $45 a year?

Isn't b**ching about $100 for DVD a little childish when you consider what you get from them? Really?

Would you pay $1000 for a single season DVD? Amortized over 30 years, that works out to less than a dime a day--pretty cheap! What about $500 or $200. Where would you make the cutoff? (And would you consider yourself a childish complainer for doing so?)

Would you pay $1000 for a single season DVD? Amortized over 30 years, that works out to less than a dime a day--pretty cheap! What about $500 or $200. Where would you make the cutoff? (And would you consider yourself a childish complainer for doing so?)

Cost can only be discussed in the face of value. The value I place on reliving the many years of my DC experience might be higher or lower than yours (and that cutoff point is strictly my business, not yours). It was no easier paying $50 for BETA tapes 25 years ago than it is paying $100 for DVDs now EXCEPT when I put it in the context of the value I've received; that is, all the many, many hours I've enjoyed reviewing those old shows. I could easily afford to pay $1000 for DVDs and I'd look at my investment in the exact same way over the many years I'd get to enjoy them.

But, for sure, I'd not stamp my feet here and childishly complain that "It's too much! It's not worth it! WAAAAHHHH" If I couldn't justify the expense I'd not buy, and that would get DCI's attention a lot faster than b**ching on DCP.

So, considering that digital media will last a whole lot longer than my BETA tapes, and the years you have ahead of you to enjoy them, you make the call: is it a good investment or not, TO YOU? Then let your credit card provide the answer.

Oh, and don't forget that $50 grown at 3% inflation for 25 years is more than $100. Presuming your income kept up with inflation then DC videos today cost less than they did back then. And they're digital now, which means they'll last even longer.

A true bargain over time, indeed.

Did those aspects change drastically when they went to DVD? From what I recall, the price immediately more than doubled when they went from VHS to DVD, and I doubt production costs (even accounting for inflation) accounted for the difference. I think they just set a price point and went with it. When (if) it gets more reasonable, I'll start buying again.

Not quite, from what I recall having bought both VHS & DVD is that the price has been the same whether DCI was selling VHS or DVD. It has been $96-$99 since the late 80's. So the way I look at it, I'm getting better video quality, better audio, multple camera angles, all for the same price that I got VHS for. Yes it was nice with more extra, but still better than VHS.

That being said, are they too expensive, Yes.

Cost can only be discussed in the face of value. The value I place on reliving the many years of my DC experience might be higher or lower than yours (and that cutoff point is strictly my business, not yours). It was no easier paying $50 for BETA tapes 25 years ago than it is paying $100 for DVDs now EXCEPT when I put it in the context of the value I've received; that is, all the many, many hours I've enjoyed reviewing those old shows. I could easily afford to pay $1000 for DVDs and I'd look at my investment in the exact same way over the many years I'd get to enjoy them.

But, for sure, I'd not stamp my feet here and childishly complain that "It's too much! It's not worth it! WAAAAHHHH" If I couldn't justify the expense I'd not buy, and that would get DCI's attention a lot faster than b**ching on DCP.

So, considering that digital media will last a whole lot longer than my BETA tapes, and the years you have ahead of you to enjoy them, you make the call: is it a good investment or not, TO YOU? Then let your credit card provide the answer.

Nice dodge of the question. Nevertheless, you apparently do have a cutoff. That's really all that some of us are saying--ours happens to be a little less than yours, apparently.

Not everything posted on DCP is intended to serve a greater purpose or "get DCI's attention." Sometimes, a conversation is just a conversation. (FYI, insulting other posters isn't any more effective than, as you put it, "b**ching on DCP.")

Nice dodge of the question. Nevertheless, you apparently do have a cutoff. That's really all that some of us are saying--ours happens to be a little less than yours, apparently.

Not everything posted on DCP is intended to serve a greater purpose or "get DCI's attention." Sometimes, a conversation is just a conversation. (FYI, insulting other posters isn't any more effective than, as you put it, "b**ching on DCP.")

Point taken. If I insulted you then I apologize, and I don't even expect an apology for the "...car salesman..." crack of another poster. But my point stands: cost is only an issue in the face of value. Each person's take on value is different and you get to vote with your credit card. Even if my cutoff is higher than yours DCI isn't going to make a profit selling only to me and maybe a few others. So if more and more people reach their "cutoff" point the price will not continue to go up even in terms of quality (content). And don't forget that they've not increased the price - I paid $99 for DVDs in 2000.

What's really evident, though, is that the cost in inflated terms is less today than it was 25 years ago. So how can they be overpriced if your income has even moderately kept up with inflation?