Boston Crusaders Welcomed At Lakewood Ranch

I suppose I'm as good a person as anyone to answer the questions that have been posed in this thread...

When the Boston Crusaders broke into finals in 1999, it was largely based on the addition of new FL staff members and FL marching members. I could be wrong about this, I wasn't there, but Tommy Santino took over as caption head for the 1998 season, and as a result several of his cohorts from the Suncoast Sound days also signed on with the Boston Crusaders. Right at the turn of the century, Magic of Orlando was falling apart at the seams, and BAC really took advantage of the opportunity. Recruits from top programs in Tampa Bay, Orlando, and South Florida turned out in huge numbers for BAC, and continue to do so to do this day. From the years 2000-2007, people like Tommy Santino, Howard Weinstein, Bob Barfield, and Kevin Ford--all of whom were and are HUGE names in FL Music Ed--defined and shaped the program, helping it reach a level of achievement that hadn't been seen for BAC since the 50s. In either the 2003 or 2004 season, the corps opted out of holding winter camps in the New England area, eventually holding only a "local" audition camp (they don't even pick kids up from Logan Int'l. for that one).

As to why so many seem to think that they should be called the "Clearwater Crusaders," or something of that nature, there has always been this certain idea in drum corps that your corps is named after where your kids come from. Obviously, if BAC holds all of their winter camps in FL, a majority of their membership is going to come from FL. Anywhere between 75-90% of the corps membership consists of Florida residents in a given year. However, their traditions, and their history, are with Boston, MA; there just isn't that much financial/political/adult/whatever support in FL for a world class drum corps. As it is, BAC gets the best of all worlds: history, reputation, financial support, a large potential membership pool and beautiful winter camp weather. Really, it's a smart approach to creating a World Class drum corps on the East Coast, where support has gotten sparse in the last few decades.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of Sarasota, FL. Exit 207 from I-75

where is LAKEWOOD Ranch High School ?

Boston ?

Dick Vitale spends his Saturdays (when he is in town) at the Broken Egg restauraunt on Siesta Key. Great food there!

Yep, nothing like seeing Dick walk down the beach at Siesta Key. That's something you'll remember.

I suppose I'm as good a person as anyone to answer the questions that have been posed in this thread...

When the Boston Crusaders broke into finals in 1999, it was largely based on the addition of new FL staff members and FL marching members. I could be wrong about this, I wasn't there, but Tommy Santino took over as caption head for the 1998 season, and as a result several of his cohorts from the Suncoast Sound days also signed on with the Boston Crusaders. Right at the turn of the century, Magic of Orlando was falling apart at the seams, and BAC really took advantage of the opportunity. Recruits from top programs in Tampa Bay, Orlando, and South Florida turned out in huge numbers for BAC, and continue to do so to do this day. From the years 2000-2007, people like Tommy Santino, Howard Weinstein, Bob Barfield, and Kevin Ford--all of whom were and are HUGE names in FL Music Ed--defined and shaped the program, helping it reach a level of achievement that hadn't been seen for BAC since the 50s. In either the 2003 or 2004 season, the corps opted out of holding winter camps in the New England area, eventually holding only a "local" audition camp (they don't even pick kids up from Logan Int'l. for that one).

As to why so many seem to think that they should be called the "Clearwater Crusaders," or something of that nature, there has always been this certain idea in drum corps that your corps is named after where your kids come from. Obviously, if BAC holds all of their winter camps in FL, a majority of their membership is going to come from FL. Anywhere between 75-90% of the corps membership consists of Florida residents in a given year. However, their traditions, and their history, are with Boston, MA; there just isn't that much financial/political/adult/whatever support in FL for a world class drum corps. As it is, BAC gets the best of all worlds: history, reputation, financial support, a large potential membership pool and beautiful winter camp weather. Really, it's a smart approach to creating a World Class drum corps on the East Coast, where support has gotten sparse in the last few decades.

Thanks for that info! But before you possibly tread on some local pride, I think it should be noted that "back in the day" the Crusaders were championship caliber well after the 50's and probably until about 1971.

That is true, Geneva. In fact, most drum corps fans would probably agree that Boston was in fact a contender for first place from 67-71. And, BAC DOES in fact have some National Championships during this period.

Holton, while most of your info is good, there is one correction to be made. In 2009, roughly 50% of the corps membership hailed from Florida (not even close to the 90% you surmised). BAC's Florida members are a valued and talented group, but let's not forget the 50% of the corps that is NOT from Florida.

Or, how about this analogy: The Boston Red Sox. How many New Englanders? 2 I think right now. Baldelli and Delcarmen. Where do they train in the Winter? Florida. Where are there offices? Boston. Were to they perform? Boston and other venues around the counrty.

Case closed.

The Boston Red Sox play 50% of their games in Boston. That is why they are "from" Boston - their winter and spring training locations are not relevant, nor are the locales from which they draw their members.

The Boston Crusaders, however, have about 5% of their performances in Boston. There is no other way to define where the corps is from other than where it trains/rehearses in the off-season and pre-season and where the plurality of its membership hails from.

Edited by TSRTS13

The Boston Red Sox play 50% of their games in Boston. That is why they are "from" Boston - their winter and spring training locations are not relevant, nor are the locales from which they draw their members.

The Boston Crusaders, however, have about 5% of their performances in Boston. There is no other way to define where the corps is from other than where it trains/rehearses in the off-season and pre-season and where the plurality of its membership hails from.

So the locations of their home show, fundraising efforts, major sponsors and corps office have no relevance?