Boston Crusaders Welcomed At Lakewood Ranch

FYI, you marched with a corps from Malden.

. . .I'm not stupid.

If you want to get that specific, Boston never actually performs in Boston. The Bunker Hill parade is in Charlestown, the East Coast Classic is in Lawrence. The Beverly show is. . . in Beverly. I'm not sure where exactly the preview performance is, but I doubt it's in "Boston" proper.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one said you were stupid, but you do seem to be obsessed with BAC's name vs. where it spends five weekends in the winter.....as evidenced by the fact that this thread is now 6 pages long and you seem to be the lone voice calling out the corps. I am sorry you never had the opportunity to march in Boston....perhaps if you had, you would realize there is much more to being a Crusader than the zip code of the rehearsal facility.

Edited by craiga

. . .I'm not stupid.

If you want to get that specific, Boston never actually performs in Boston. The Bunker Hill parade is in Charlestown, the East Coast Classic is in Lawrence. The Beverly show is. . . in Beverly. I'm not sure where exactly the preview performance is, but I doubt it's in "Boston" proper.

Just to make this topic gets more stale ...

Charlestown is part of Boston.

I marched with BAC at Boston University, in Boston.

The Dorchester Day Parade starts in Dorchester (part of Boston) and ends in Southie (another part of Boston).

And Boston College is in the Chestnut Hill section of Newton.

Anyone want to guess where UMass-Boston is located?

When I marched, we rehearsed in really disgusting schools in Lynn and Malden. Let us not forget Farge (also in Southie). I am extremely happy BAC has found someplace welcoming, warm, and not rat-infested to rehearse!!!

Enough geographic trivia for one day ...

No one said you were stupid, but you do seem to be obsessed with BAC's name vs. where it spends five weekends in the winter.....as evidenced by the fact that this thread is now 6 pages long and you seem to be the lone voice calling out the corps. I am sorry you never had the opportunity to march in Boston....perhaps if you had, you would realize there is much more to being a Crusader than the zip code of the rehearsal facility.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to this guy, he’s all over the place, chiming in on the Madison thread about their Bloomington practices facilities and then starts talking about Boston, again. So, he thought about joining Boston and then ended up in Texas. Hope he enjoyed watching Boston in the Finals, from the stands.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to this guy, he’s all over the place, chiming in on the Madison thread about their Bloomington practices facilities and then starts talking about Boston, again. So, he thought about joining Boston and then ended up in Texas. Hope he enjoyed watching Boston in the Finals, from the stands.

I actually only saw the top three at finals this year, but I did like Boston this year. Probably the first time I've liked them since 05 or 06.

And I honestly don't understand how people can think that moving from Boston to Florida is the same thing as moving from Madison to Bloomington. Really, it's not the same. I've yet to see a convincing argument otherwise.

All this thread comes down to is an arbitrary definition. Just because its over twice as par from boston to florida as it is from madison to bloomington, doesnt automatically make your point correct. You can go about this 3 different ways.

1) Hard line - any corps that doesnt rehearse in their hometown, isnt really from that town. That description fits...oh....pretty much everyone.

2) Throwing darts - find a dartboard (one must exist somewhere!) with numbers that go from one to one thousand, and then throw exactly one dart at it. Whatever number it lands on, this is the arbitrary distance a corps may rehearse away from it's home base. For instance, if the dart lands on 200, then the cadets, are allowed to rehearse in woodstown NJ, but the scouts must change their name. This is pretty much the logic you are using. Granted, your 'driving requirement' makes some sense, except for the fact that people have all different ideas as to what is a reasonable distance to travel for a corps practice.

3) Nobody cares - Just let it be...let the corps and their history decide - The Cadets can rehearse in PA or south jersey, but be from garfield, Boston can rehearse in florida and be boston, Madison can rehearse in bloomington, Glassmen can rehearse somewhere other than toledo, and just let it be.

Corps no longer call their " home " where they get the majority of their members. "Home " in most cases today is defined as to where the organization gets the majority of their revenue from fundraisers to keep the Corps afloat financially. Thus, it is entirely appropriate to still refer to this Corps as the " Boston Crusaders ". Additionally, Boston this year had more New Englanders in their Corps than in several recent years. ( some from the recently disbanded Spartans, East Coast Jazz). Boston's new young Director is from the Boston area, and the staff and volunteers are heavily drawn from the Boston region. But the Boston Crusaders no doubt also appreciate the positive impact Floridians have had on this Corps over the last decade and Floridians will probably continue to be drawn to this Corps in future years.

And yes.... in the years of 1966, 67, etc the Boston Crusaders were contending for ( and winning )national Titles.

And some of those Boston Crusaders from the Boston area who marched then, now live in retirement where ?...........

You guessed it...Florida......haha!

Edited by BRASSO

Not really. If the Blue Devils moved their entire operations to Moscow but still had an office, a home show, fundraising efforts, and sponsors from Concord would they really still be from Concord?

Yes...... because without the continuence of the pipeline of financial support coming from around Concord, Ca. they'd need to replace that money from around Moscow. And if they couldn't, they'd be done. The Corps would freeze to death right there in Moscow..... figuratively, and literally.

If you want to know where a Corps is " from ", these days......... simply follow the money.

With money, comes the naming rights.

Without a lot members, you are stuck with perhaps a small Corps.

But without proper fundraising from generous local benefactors,... you literally would have NO Corps. You'd be Finis.

Edited by BRASSO

Just to make this topic gets more stale ...

Charlestown is part of Boston.

I marched with BAC at Boston University, in Boston.

The Dorchester Day Parade starts in Dorchester (part of Boston) and ends in Southie (another part of Boston).

And Boston College is in the Chestnut Hill section of Newton.

Anyone want to guess where UMass-Boston is located?

When I marched, we rehearsed in really disgusting schools in Lynn and Malden. Let us not forget Farge (also in Southie). I am extremely happy BAC has found someplace welcoming, warm, and not rat-infested to rehearse!!!

Enough geographic trivia for one day ...

And to take this to a further level of absurdity, are the "New York Giants "REALLY from New York, if they don't play their home games in" New York" ? Most of their players as well as many of their fans live in New Jersey ( The New York Giants home games are played in New Jersey and many of their fans are from the Jersey 'burbs, and from Southern, CT.)

Are the " Detroit Pistons " really from " Detroit " ? Since when ? There are MANY other examples like this too.

And we have an even better question......

Who cares ?

Edited by BRASSO

This thread returning to page one got me thinking more about the “naming” topic in general. In addition to the “follow the money” idea that others have mentioned, I think there is a deeper emotional element at play. A corps’ name elicits a personality, tradition, history, etc. that goes well beyond any connection to a physical location.

The Crossmen may have moved halfway across the country, but they are still the Crossmen. They took their history, tradition, etc. with them. The Madison Scouts may start rehearsing in Bloomington (and be lead by mostly Star/BLAST! staff) but they are keeping their history and traditions.

Boston may have winter camps in Florida but every day at every camp they are living the personality, traditions and history of the BOSTON Crusaders. It’s in their blood – instead of “blood is thicker than water” we can say “tradition/history is thicker than physical location”. My brother moved from New England to the Midwest 25years ago but will always consider himself a New Englander and will root for the Red Sox and NE Patriots.

Some may want to be petty and determine the distance a corps can rehearse from the location mentioned in its name or determine what percentage of the corps can include kids from outside the location/area mentioned in its name, but the heart and soul of a corps is what determines its naming rights. And the Boston Crusaders have as much right of saying they are from BOSTON as the Madison Scouts have for saying they are from Madison.

Get over it.