Some of the "Funnest" times at DCA

Andyroo

What were your "funnest" times at this year's DCA.

There must be hundreds of stories from bars, restaurants, hotel lobbies, parking lots, etc.

For me, one of the "funnest" places was in line prior to the beginning of the Olympic retreat at the Finals. When everyone first lined up, everybody had their game faces on - no looking from side to side, no smiles, deadly serious. Then, whoever had organized us in certain positions learned that he had screwed up and each corps had to shuffle to another position. And then, when these new positions turned out to be erroneous, we had to intermingle, shuffle, turn around, and mill around once again. It was then that the comments started.

They went from "How do you spell Chaos?" "DCA!!!!"

Then they turned to more personal comments, like the loudspeaker-like voice that said, "Mr. Jones... Rick Jones.... Your HIV tests are back!!!"

Another one that seemed to grab a lot of people was, "She's either wearing lipstick tonight, or she's bitten someone on the neck."

It was all downhill after that.....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where you were standing, but I wouldn't say any where I was standing involved a game face. I did have a contra player from the Empire Statesman show me his #### though for some of my beads and that was both horrifying and hilarious at the same time!!

Hurricanes hornline and Cabs drumline before retreat = epic!

Empire and MBI's tubas got in to a flipping contest....This was after the "Whos got the more difficult horn to march" discussion. I still maintain that even though Empires horns are heavier, they are better balanced!

What were your "funnest" times at this year's DCA.

There must be hundreds of stories from bars, restaurants, hotel lobbies, parking lots, etc.

Not really fun, but a bit disturbing, actually....

Saturday morning in Rochester I woke up earlier than I had planned, so I decided to get moving and go take a walk in the cool morning air.

Outside the hotel, I got into a conversation with a guy.... I guessed he was a local vagrant, because he looked a bit disheveled. He had grayish hair, was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and smoking a cigarette.

The guy seemed to know a few things about drum corps.... so we chatted for a while. All the time I was pondering an exit strategy... where could I run to get away from this guy, in case he started getting belligerent. You never know with people like him. Good mood one minute, dangerously angry the next.

Anyhow.... I wrapped up my chat with him, wished him a good day, and went to take my walk. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a person in a white coat with a long needle in his hand approaching the guy... wasn't quite sure about that.

I found out later that this guy has been hanging around the same hotel pretty much every year the DCA championship has been in Rochester. Somebody told me his name was Andy-something. But who knows if that is his real name... people like that have been known to adopt multiple personalities.

Just FYI for future years in Rochester. If you see this guy, keep walking.... fast.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Speaking of the Renegades

During the Renegades prelim performance I commented to someone near me that their lady horn soloist in the pit area sure reminded me of how Bonnie Ott used to sound ( I had competed against her many years ago). Someone else a couple of rows down said that IS Bonnie Ott. I was unaware that she was performing with the Renegades.

The day of finals, after we had performed, I found the Renegades horn line warming up. When they were finished, I was able to find her and tell her how glad I was that she was back in the activity.

It is amazing to me how someone can have such a signature sound that it’s so recognizable 30 plus years later. It was very cool meeting one of the icons of my era.

Re: Bonnie.... With a last name like OTT you would expect no less... Bonnie is amazing... She brought POP along too... (or did HE bring her?) I hope he enjoyed the weekend, too...

Fran... seriously... I have a feeling I know who that was - if he was actually a Rochester Drum Corps Guy... I did march with some characters...

Speaking of the Renegades

During the Renegades prelim performance I commented to someone near me that their lady horn soloist in the pit area sure reminded me of how Bonnie Ott used to sound ( I had competed against her many years ago). Someone else a couple of rows down said that IS Bonnie Ott. I was unaware that she was performing with the Renegades.

The day of finals, after we had performed, I found the Renegades horn line warming up. When they were finished, I was able to find her and tell her how glad I was that she was back in the activity.

It is amazing to me how someone can have such a signature sound that it’s so recognizable 30 plus years later. It was very cool meeting one of the icons of my era.

You're such a drummer, Roark. This is Bonnie's second year with the Renegades. If it don't go boom, you don't pay attention :ph34r: . I guess you are improving since you are only a year off on this one :lle: .

You're such a drummer, Roark. This is Bonnie's second year with the Renegades. If it don't go boom, you don't pay attention :lle: . I guess you are improving since you are only a year off on this one :lle: .

If you recall, I wasn't in last year. :lle: I think the fact that I recognized her sound is pretty #### good for a drummer! :ph34r: