Some of the "Funnest" times at DCA

Andyroo

How about an Historically funny time at DCA?

How about the 1991 finals retreat in Scranton where it was decided to set off fireworks behind the stadium and the woods caught on fire? Probably not the fault of anyone with DCA at the time, but one of those things that made me think..."could this happen anywhere else except at DCA?" :rolleyes:

In 1992 I think? we had fireworks for retreat at DCI finals and one of the fireworks shot straight into Phantom's retreat block and exploded. Nobody was hurt but there was definitely a lot of movement on the field.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the night had these highlights:

Opening the show as the first corps on the field

Being able to hype at the gate without concern of bothering a performing corps - and Dick Pronti encouraging it (the grin on his face was priceless!)

Scott watching a new Corps enter the field the first time they have made finals is a thrill. I happen to be in the Gate area. I knew how you and your kids felt. You see all the DCA board, which I am not part of but I try to do my part, would have been smling if they stood where I did.

The DCA Board gets accused of all kinds of things, but fact is that once the season is underway, they look at every Corps as theirs. Seeing a new kid on the block is always great. Seeing a traditional Corps bring the stands down is great. The Board Members feel part of every Corps. I have seen many a tear shed in the VIP box, after watching Corps perfrom, no particular affiliation, just happiness for the Corps.

I got a funny story:

I was sitting in the crowd at mini corps friday night and as i always do I was practicing on my leg. Sitting there with another drummer friend of mine she looks down and says "what are those?". Before I can answer then guy in front of me turns around and says "swiss army triplets". A little taken back i say " so I guess your a drummer?" He says " yea, (long pause) I got into cavaliers snare line at age 11." So I have been sitting there practicing next to some dude that blows my hands out of the water. ha ha He gave me some tips and we enjoyed the rest of the show. :laughing:

" yea, (long pause) I got into cavaliers snare line at age 11."

That dude was Mike Lorenz, originally a boy wonder from the Milwaukee Militaires. Did a season in the Kiltie Kadets, but then the 1964 Kilties wouldn't let him move up because their minimum age was 14. The Cavaliers had no such problem.

Mike is a monster pro percussionist. He did multi tours as the Xylo guy with Mr. Jack Daniels' Original Silver Cornet Band, probably played a billion notes. Founded the Rosewood ensemble with fellow Brew City pros. Then settled into a career doing studio and show work in Milwaukee. Owns a custom house stuffed with his instrument collection, and travels to recording sessions in a cube van full of every drummer's toy imaginable.

Recently he returned to his roots, to keep his snare chops honest. He played in the Cavalier 888 Alumni Corps and does gigs with the Cavalier Classics, schedule permitting. Now that he's pilgrimaged to DCA, what could be next?

Edited by HornsUp

That dude was Mike Lorenz, originally a boy wonder from the Milwaukee Militaires. Did a season in the Kiltie Kadets, but then the 1964 Kilties wouldn't let him move up because their minimum age was 14. The Cavaliers had no such problem.

Mike is a monster pro percussionist. He did multi tours as the Xylo guy with Mr. Jack Daniels' Original Silver Cornet Band, probably played a billion notes. Founded the Rosewood ensemble with fellow Brew City pros. Then settled into a career doing studio and show work in Milwaukee. Owns a custom house stuffed with his instrument collection, and travels to recording sessions in a cube van full of every drummer's toy imaginable.

Recently he returned to his roots, to keep his snare chops honest. He played in the Cavalier 888 Alumni Corps and does gigs with the Cavalier Classics, schedule permitting. Now that he's pilgrimaged to DCA, what could be next?

He was a REALLY cool dude. I mean we sat their discussing mini corps and drumming. Defiantly a guy I hope to run into again. :laughing:

The "funnest" time I ever had at DCA was 2001 ...

I was Director of the Renegades, and it was our first "tour" to DCA ... actually we only brought the Mini-Corps, and it was our first experience with DCA.

We did our performance, which we thought went very well. Afterwords, we dispersed into the crowd to meet / mingle / party! However, one of the judges came up to me prior to the scores being announced (I forgot who), and said to me: "You might want to get your members together to get their medals". I was very confused. He said, "Get your people together, you won!"

I was pretty dumbfounded! So, I started gathering the Renegades Mini-Corps together in one spot, telling them "We Won!" ... and naturally they didn't believe me either!

Well, they announced the scores, with us in first ... the crowd went WILD! We were smiling ear-to-ear when they put the medals on us! 'Twas good!

O wait ... maybe the "funnest" time I ever had at DCA was the party that the Erie Thunderbirds hosted for us that night, after winning! But that's another story ... :rolleyes:

The funniest moment for me at a DCA championship has to be in 2004 at Scranton Lackawanna Stadium. Following the finals my wife repeatedly tried to tell me something important but I repeatedly had to put her off: first because I needed to participate with the corps playing a concert in the parking lot: then because I needed to change my clothes and put my equipment into the truck; then because we got interrupted by farewells, hugs and chats from corps members; and finally because we had to search for my gloves, gauntlets, and hat that fell from my car roof that I forgot to remove as we left the parking lot. Finally I asked her what was it she wanted to tell me. She replied that it's not really important. I won the 50/50 tonight and I have the $1800.00 in cash in my purse. What I said!!!!!! Why didn't you tell me.

The funniest moment for me at a DCA championship has to be in 2004 at Scranton Lackawanna Stadium. Following the finals my wife repeatedly tried to tell me something important but I repeatedly had to put her off: first because I needed to participate with the corps playing a concert in the parking lot: then because I needed to change my clothes and put my equipment into the truck; then because we got interrupted by farewells, hugs and chats from corps members; and finally because we had to search for my gloves, gauntlets, and hat that fell from my car roof that I forgot to remove as we left the parking lot. Finally I asked her what was it she wanted to tell me. She replied that it's not really important. I won the 50/50 tonight and I have the $1800.00 in cash in my purse. What I said!!!!!! Why didn't you tell me.

:rolleyes:

The "funnest" time I ever had at DCA was 2001 ...

I was Director of the Renegades, and it was our first "tour" to DCA ... actually we only brought the Mini-Corps, and it was our first experience with DCA.

We did our performance, which we thought went very well. Afterwords, we dispersed into the crowd to meet / mingle / party! However, one of the judges came up to me prior to the scores being announced (I forgot who), and said to me: "You might want to get your members together to get their medals". I was very confused. He said, "Get your people together, you won!"

I was pretty dumbfounded! So, I started gathering the Renegades Mini-Corps together in one spot, telling them "We Won!" ... and naturally they didn't believe me either!

Well, they announced the scores, with us in first ... the crowd went WILD! We were smiling ear-to-ear when they put the medals on us! 'Twas good!

O wait ... maybe the "funnest" time I ever had at DCA was the party that the Erie Thunderbirds hosted for us that night, after winning! But that's another story ... :rolleyes:

The Renegades entering the TBIRD party through a second story window......"PRICELESS" :worthy:

The Renegades entering the TBIRD party through a second story window......"PRICELESS" :tongue:

Actually, what was "more priceless" was that we (Chris Minervini and myself) actually shut down the Thunderbirds party ... we were told it was getting "late" ... actually around 6am the next morning. :lol:

And what was "most priceless" was that we went back to our hotel and found Kenny Peterson in the lobby complaining that everyone went to bed and there was noone left to party with! :tongue:

THAT'S the morning I realized that is why I was in senior corps! :tongue: