Raise the Age Out Limit to 24

We're not broadening the scope...we're adding more qualified resources to the project.

But you WOULD be broadening the scope, and the intent, the charter, the mission statement and everything else about DCI.

Quality HAS improved, as we should expect over time. Same thing with Symphony Orchestras...the more recordings they've made, the more they can hear what they need to improve. Every orchestra is trying to improve, just like every drum corps. The B-flats helped a lot, for sure.

Well, we finally agree on something. :rolleyes:

"Your business is rejoicing, your business is rejoicing..."

I like rejoicing. It makes me feel good and it helps my flowers grow stronger and more colorful.

I still want something better than DCI and DCA...

Then, as Jeff already pointed out, it's time to fill out the incorporation papers, because it just isn't going to happen with DCI. As I mentioned many posts ago, I was in the staff caucus at the DCI Annual Meeting when the subject came up regarding raising the age limit. There was NO support for the issue and the staff members were downright hostile to such an idea. Without their support, it's not going to happen. Any proposal that doesn't make it through the instructors' caucus dies before it gets to the directors. And I think I can honestly say there would be no support there, either.

So, it might be fun to speculate about such a thing in the off-season, but the plain truth is it's NOT going to happen. And therefore, to make it happen, one would have to create something new, like what Star of Indiana did in evolving to Blast! a few years ago.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you WOULD be broadening the scope, and the intent, the charter, the mission statement and everything else about DCI.

This made me chuckle since it's the exact same argument we used for not changing the fundamental way drum corps sounds... so I guess I can use the argument that having older, more mature and experienced players in the corps would allow designers to be more 'creative' in their content and thus the age-limit should be removed?

i think i'd rather hear Malaguena again than listen to the arguments for this

How can having older members automatically imply (to you) broadening scope? The mission statement wouldn't even have to change.

Click here:http://www.dci.org/about/

Note that the education aspect you hold so dear is 3rd bullet on the list..and limtited to "marching music education." Nice. Every word on that page could pertain to a person of any age (OK, except maybe "youth", lol). Note that the college stats are practically meaningless in this context (many examples of amazing DCI participants who did not attend college). The entire page is full of stats...not mission statements or charters. AND THIS IS DCI'S ABOUT PAGE.

And why limit "education" to the youthful? can't 22+ people learn too? I'd love to spend more time working on the mature aspect of drum corps [the performance] and less on immature part [the technical].

Yeah, DCI might change a little...but only because the quality of the super good would be even better, and the quality of the not-so super good would be better (trickle down).

No one's given me one good downside. Most popular response is "It's always been this way, and it always shall."

Other args against (paraphrased):

"That's what DCA is for!" [No, DCA is part-time drum corps]

"It's time grow up and move on." [says who?]

"College age is what it's all about." [says who?]

"Everyone over 22 is a pedifile" [lol, just funny]

"That's what DCA is for!" [No, DCA is part-time drum corps]

DCA isn't part-time drum corps by rule. It's part-time drum corps because the corps themselves, individually, decide that's how they want to do it. Any DCA corps could go to a full-time schedule if they wanted to. There's no rule against it. A full-time DCA corps could probably get on the DCI touring schedule as an exhibition corps between weekend DCA shows.

The difference is that DCA shows are run on weekends because that's when the corps are active. If there are enough full-time DCA corps, you'd see more weekday DCA shows.

The real crux of all of this? There's simply not enough interest in running a full-time, touring all-age corps.