Raise the Age Out Limit to 24

I'm confused by this. If they're required to work weekends then how can they possibly march DCI?

Dont be confused...im pretty sure you're onto something :thumbup:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be totally wrong, but it feels to me that an increased age limit could result in even more inequity between corps. While some currently over-aged marchers would stay true to the corps they had been in for most of their marching career, I would suspect that some corps would become more highly populated with these “older” marchers.

Many of these older “kids” would have improved skills, increasing their chances of getting into their “dream” corps (which is more than likely already ranked higher than where they were marching previously).

Would 24 year olds really want to be in a corps that had mostly 19 year olds (never mind 15 year olds) in it? So as more of the older kids gravitate to the corps with kids (no, make that adults) their own age, you’d make it even more difficult for the other corps to compete on a level playing field.

So it seems that the only way this could work fairly might be to have a separate “junior” and “young adult” (for lack of a better term) division. And with less than 25 corps in WC, why would you do this?

It's entirely possible to work a job that's friendly to the academic calendar. Like I posted before, you could be a 4th grade science teacher at age 22, and have your summers off, and money too!

After a brief, and admittedly not exhaustive, investigation into school calendars around the country this year, I have discovered that while most district didn't start school this year until the 31st of August, with teachers coming in a week earlier than that, almost all have school until the 17th or 18th of June, 2010. Non-music teachers would most certainly NOT be able to march a full time world class corps with that schedule, considering most world class corps are moving in during May and performing their first shows on the 17th or 18th of June.

There might be schools who end their year before that, but there are most likely more that end after that. This is due to the fact than many school districts, especially in hotter climates, are moving closer and closer to a year round school year. Consider this link to the year round school calendar for Las Vegas schools.

http://ccsd.net/news/calendar/pdf/855_Year_Round_09-10.pdf

Again...who are we to judge anyway? IF someone's 25, shows up, pays the money, and kicks ###...we shouldn't be asking questions. It says more about you than the 25 yr old...

I don't believe most who oppose an age increase for this reason are against personal freedom. But that being said, I believe the 'who are you to tell people what to do' argument is only partially applicable in any situation. Who are we? No one, but the conventions of our society and culture DO count for something. One can certainly have a great life going against the grain in everything they do, but I believe that our social conventions (such as graduate from college, get a job, quit participating in youth activities) exist for a reason. Regardless of that reason, it seems flawed to accuse anyone who agrees with the social conventions of being some kind of totalitarian fascist, which is what I gather from the tone of your posts.

I'm confused by this. If they're required to work weekends then how can they possibly march DCI?

It's another example of someone's work schedule. In this case, they would obviously be unable to march at all, most likely. Point being that there are several scenarios out there that allow people to and not to participate regardless of age. Just as one 25 year old could march DCI...another could be in a situation in which there are no options at all.

I disagree with having people participate in junior corps after 21. Once they age out, they can march senior corps. Raising the age will only hurt senior corps, and make modern drum corps even more "professional" than it already is...but without the pay that these older people would deserve. 21 is the age where people need to get out in the world and make a life of their own.

I would guess that the age limit is not hurting DCI. Performance is at a pretty high level as it is, and the top corps don't seem to be having problems recruiting members. Not much reason for them to want to change it (unlike the huge benefits seen from Bb brass, amps, electronics etc.).

After a brief, and admittedly not exhaustive, investigation into school calendars around the country this year, I have discovered that while most district didn't start school this year until the 31st of August, with teachers coming in a week earlier than that, almost all have school until the 17th or 18th of June, 2010. Non-music teachers would most certainly NOT be able to march a full time world class corps with that schedule, considering most world class corps are moving in during May and performing their first shows on the 17th or 18th of June.

There might be schools who end their year before that, but there are most likely more that end after that. This is due to the fact than many school districts, especially in hotter climates, are moving closer and closer to a year round school year. Consider this link to the year round school calendar for Las Vegas schools.

http://ccsd.net/news/calendar/pdf/855_Year_Round_09-10.pdf

Yeah, and when will that become standard in the USA? Maybe in 100 years? OK, so people from Vegas are out...next...

If the member is qualified enough, the corps will let it slide (the "requirement" to be there from Mid-May) Each corps has its own rules. For some it's not an option...I guess the 25 yr old won't be marching there. Some corps will think about it, but give the edge to the 21 yr old who can be there, but put the 25 yr old on the 911 list. And EVERY corps needs players in June.

I don't believe most who oppose an age increase for this reason are against personal freedom. But that being said, I believe the 'who are you to tell people what to do' argument is only partially applicable in any situation. Who are we? No one, but the conventions of our society and culture DO count for something. One can certainly have a great life going against the grain in everything they do, but I believe that our social conventions (such as graduate from college, get a job, quit participating in youth activities) exist for a reason. Regardless of that reason, it seems flawed to accuse anyone who agrees with the social conventions of being some kind of totalitarian fascist, which is what I gather from the tone of your posts.
I agree with your first sentence. I know that most of us don't think that way. I get irked at the people who pass judgment when they claim they don't want 22+ yr olds because "they need to get a life." Oh? Define "life." How does one "get" such a "life?" (and yes, that is a fascist)

This approach is perfectly fine: "I just like everything the way it is....seems to work fine. Quality is high enough for me."

It's not passing judgment on those who might use a new rule to their best advantage.

Yeah, and when will that become standard in the USA? Maybe in 100 years? OK, so people from Vegas are out...next...

I don't won't to quibble with any of your points but this one, because I respect your opinions, but this trend is much more widespread than you think, and seems to be becoming more popular in places where AC would be required year round. I agree that this will most likely never happen in places in the north, because schools that don't have AC don't want to put it in for a few months a year. But anywhere where they need AC year round is likely looking at year round school in the next twenty years. The following stats come from the website which is linked to below.

School districts in California: 1,052

School districts using year-round education programs: 142

142/1052=13.49809885931558935361216730038% out of all school districts in California.

15 years ago, there were practically no schools doing this. Now in some states, its up to 10% or more. So maybe it won't effect Cavies, or Phantom, or Cadets, but it would most certainly effect BD, and SCV, and Crossmen, and Academy, and Spirit, and Crown, and Mandarins, and Pacific Crest now and more and more in the future.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/LS/fa/yr/stats0607.asp

I'll grant that this only effects teachers, and so you have a point about anyone else. But a 4th grade teacher was your example... so...

It's another example of someone's work schedule. In this case, they would obviously be unable to march at all, most likely. Point being that there are several scenarios out there that allow people to and not to participate regardless of age. Just as one 25 year old could march DCI...another could be in a situation in which there are no options at all.

Yep.... All-Age Corps with lot of HS or College age memebrs hit this all the time.

Reason why I left Senior corps at 22. Nothing to do with ageing out. I just had a first job with rotating shifts (all 3 shifts and all days of the week in a 4 week period :tongue: ).