Show Idea for the 2010 Madison Scouts

Masculine Doubts-The Michael Jackson story. :thumbup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those saying "no latin"

If they dont play latin, YOU will complain theyre in an identity crisis.

I think the identity crisis is in thinking that picking Latin MUSIC = Madison identity.

In looking at their winning programs, and if winning programs = identity, then...

1975 - Slaughter on 10th Avenue, MacArthur Park, Rhapsody in Blue, Dueling Banjos, The Way We Were. No Latin there.

1988 - Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra, Malaguena. Some Latin there.

That's 50% with Latin and 50% without.

In looking at their "successful" shows in the "modern era" of drum corps (80's or later), using 6th place or better as a measure of success... If success = identity, then...

2005 - 6th place - Carmen

1999 - 6th place - Jesus Christ Superstar

1998 - 6th place - Lupon-Swingin Pete Sweet-Remembrance

1997 - 6th place - The Pirates of Lake Mendota

1996 - 6th place - A Mis Abuelos-Barcelona-En Fuego-Malaguena. Some Latin here.

1995 - 5th place - El Toro Caliente-La Danza Pasillo-Malaga. Some Latin here.

1994 - 6th place - Santos-Cuban Overture-Malaga. Some Latin here.

1993 - 6th place - Numero Uno-Strawberry Soup-Encore

1992 - 5th place - City of Angels

1987 - 6th place - Captain Castille-American in Paris-Stars+Stripes

1985 - 4th place - Ballet in Brass-Rhapsody in Blue

1984 - 5th place - Ballet in Brass-Waltz of Mushroom Hunters-Memories

1983 - 5th place - Colas Breugnon, Strawberry Soup, Calico, Memories

1982 - 5th place - Slaughter 10th Ave-Strawberry Soup-Eyes of Love

1981 - 3rd place - Numero Uno-Malaguena-Down Wind-Through Eyes of Love. Some Latin here.

1980 - 6th place - They're Playing Our Song-Malaguena-New Country-Eyes of Love. Some Latin here.

In looking at the above, only 5 of the 16 "successful" programs (only 31%) contained Latin pieces. The rest contained pieces that run the gamut...jazz, symphonic, orchestral, movie scores, Broadway, popular and fantasy pirate.

So I think the idea of Madison identity = playing Latin music is something of a misnomer. There is a tendency to give a latin/jazz rhythmic feel to many of their pieces which gives a latin characteristic to the chart. But putting a Latin feel to Funny (for example) did not make it a Latin piece, it only gave it that flavor. I think some of the sop/trpt writing with "screaming" solos and lead parts also speaks of Latin or a latin/jazz style of arranging reminiscent of the Hawthorne Caballeros, or (ironically) the Muchachos.

In a nutshell, I think Madison could play anything they darn want, so long at the style of the writing speaks of Madison in the arranging, particularly in the percussion and trumpet writing.

HH

In a nutshell, I think Madison could play anything they darn want, so long at the style of the writing speaks of Madison in the arranging, particularly in the percussion and trumpet writing.

HH

This.

no, no, no

they need to do the show I already suggested

the music of los fabulosos cadillac, a rather eclectic band from Argentina (just saw them again last week)

I'd work of their older Vasos Vacios cd and do

Matador

V Centenario

Gitana

Yo Te Avise /Revolution Rock

no, no, no

they need to do the show I already suggested

the music of los fabulosos cadillac, a rather eclectic band from Argentina (just saw them again last week)

I'd work of their older Vasos Vacios cd and do

Matador

V Centenario

Gitana

Yo Te Avise /Revolution Rock

I'd urge you to listen to "Mambo Herd" and tell me it would kick things for Madison. And yes, I'd do it as an opener.

Tom,

Do you like Mambo Herd for Madison?

I think the identity crisis is in thinking that picking Latin MUSIC = Madison identity.

In looking at their winning programs, and if winning programs = identity, then...

1975 - Slaughter on 10th Avenue, MacArthur Park, Rhapsody in Blue, Dueling Banjos, The Way We Were. No Latin there.

1988 - Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra, Malaguena. Some Latin there.

That's 50% with Latin and 50% without.

In looking at their "successful" shows in the "modern era" of drum corps (80's or later), using 6th place or better as a measure of success... If success = identity, then...

2005 - 6th place - Carmen

1999 - 6th place - Jesus Christ Superstar

1998 - 6th place - Lupon-Swingin Pete Sweet-Remembrance

1997 - 6th place - The Pirates of Lake Mendota

1996 - 6th place - A Mis Abuelos-Barcelona-En Fuego-Malaguena. Some Latin here.

1995 - 5th place - El Toro Caliente-La Danza Pasillo-Malaga. Some Latin here.

1994 - 6th place - Santos-Cuban Overture-Malaga. Some Latin here.

1993 - 6th place - Numero Uno-Strawberry Soup-Encore

1992 - 5th place - City of Angels

1987 - 6th place - Captain Castille-American in Paris-Stars+Stripes

1985 - 4th place - Ballet in Brass-Rhapsody in Blue

1984 - 5th place - Ballet in Brass-Waltz of Mushroom Hunters-Memories

1983 - 5th place - Colas Breugnon, Strawberry Soup, Calico, Memories

1982 - 5th place - Slaughter 10th Ave-Strawberry Soup-Eyes of Love

1981 - 3rd place - Numero Uno-Malaguena-Down Wind-Through Eyes of Love. Some Latin here.

1980 - 6th place - They're Playing Our Song-Malaguena-New Country-Eyes of Love. Some Latin here.

In looking at the above, only 5 of the 16 "successful" programs (only 31%) contained Latin pieces. The rest contained pieces that run the gamut...jazz, symphonic, orchestral, movie scores, Broadway, popular and fantasy pirate.

So I think the idea of Madison identity = playing Latin music is something of a misnomer. There is a tendency to give a latin/jazz rhythmic feel to many of their pieces which gives a latin characteristic to the chart. But putting a Latin feel to Funny (for example) did not make it a Latin piece, it only gave it that flavor. I think some of the sop/trpt writing with "screaming" solos and lead parts also speaks of Latin or a latin/jazz style of arranging reminiscent of the Hawthorne Caballeros, or (ironically) the Muchachos.

HH

Thanks for the mention!! :thumbup: Just in my opinion.. and maybe I am a little biased (see my sig), The 31% of the shows that were Latin, we Madison blockbusters. But it's not just a Madison thing either. "Latin" tends to get feet tappin,. heads bobbin and the butts out of the seats. Listen to any Madison performance of Malaguena and you would find the biggest ovation of the night. If you listen to any Devils performance of Chick Corea, Spanish Fantasy, and you find some of the biggest ovations of the night. I do like classical also. Phantom and SCV always have some fantastic shows but you can't ignore the fact that "Latin" Jazz on a drum corps field seems to get the better crowd response. It could be the reason that Madison has always in some way arranged their music often with an Latin feel, although the music as intended was not Latin.