DCI: 2009 CDs ship "soon"...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the recordings are very good, and again, much better than the apds from quarterfinals. it seems they managed to reign in the ring a bit, although it still comes up. it sounds very different from the wash of sound i heard on the field, certainly.

i think there is room for improvement. Generally, the battery sounds much less crisp than it ever did on an outdoor recording, but that's the nature of the beast.

however, the brass sound is glorious, especially on Crown, SCV, and Glassmen, of the ones i've listened to thus far.

These are my initial thoughts after hearing just a few corps, and i may post a few more reactions after i've heard them all.

Are the DVDs formatted like the 2008 DVD's with no drum, guard video and no judges and director audio?

Wow, listening to these shows me how ahead of the game Crown's hornline was...and how ridiculous BD's drumline was. Phantom sounds really good too, and the Cadets make me happy.

On the Quarterfinals APD's the electric bass sound REALLY overtook some of the recordings (see the end of SCV), has this been fixed on the CD's?????? :innocent:

I've listened to them. I'm actually very impressed with the recording quality, brass lines sound great! Drumline does sound a bit subdued. The overbearing bass is there for the corps that used to much of it, although I don't think that is a recording problem, its just using a subwoofer to blast bass sound that is absolutely not needed. The worst I've heard so far is the Bluecoats, it ruins two parts in the opener... It sounds so foreign and super bad with subwoofers. I hope corps recognize that certain things do not record well and don't really add to the performance... Makes me sad I'm a big Bluecoats fan as well...

Mark