Madison Scouts Audition Process & Tuition

I heard a rumor about their audition process for this season, and i found it shockingly and surprisingly true.

In order to even go to the initial audition camp, you must buy the audition packet, and submit a video. IF you're accepted via video audition, THEN you can come to the November audition camp.

First year members' tuition is $2250, however their reasoning is this:

"...Tuition also covers the education you will receive from our world-class staff. You will gain knowledge of your specific instrument or equipment, a performance mentality and invaluable life skills. The experience of marching with the Madison Scouts will positively affect the rest of your life; it is truly priceless."

You can read it all here:

http://madisonscouts.org/Madison_Scouts/Auditions.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The message about what the tuition covers has been on the website for years. This is nothing new.

You buy the audition package, but other corps do that. After the audio tape is reviewed and accepted, you pay an $80 audition fee.

Other corps do this in one form or another. I don't understand what is shocking, or why anything is surprising. It looks pretty routine to me.

You buy the audition package, but other corps do that. After the audio tape is reviewed and accepted, you pay an $80 audition fee.

Other corps do this in one form or another. I don't understand what is shocking, or why anything is surprising. It looks pretty routine to me.

Yep.

Video auditions can save people the cost of traveling. Other corps do this, too. The tuition seems in line with other corps right now as well. World Class drum corps has become expensive, period. That's why alumni associations who can be active with financial support are so important.

I heard a rumor about their audition process for this season, and i found it shockingly and surprisingly true.

What part is shocking and or surprising?

a video ?

Edited by Cop

(1) Their cost is still lower than many and not out of line.....

(2) The level of instructional staff they have assembled is unparalleled.....

(3) An initial video audition saves time and money for both the member and the corps/staff, and is

becoming more and more commonplace.......in the long run, it may be a bit more humane, too,

as you (a) don't string anyone along who isn't going to be able to cut it, and (b) the "cut" is obviously

as private as it gets.....

I don't see anything at all out of line here.

GB

To compare fees go to www.dci.org/auditions/

Looks pretty typical, cheaper than some, more expensive than some.

I do notice that the Scouts offer some pretty good discounts for vets especially after 2 years.

In order to even go to the initial audition camp, you must buy the audition packet, and submit a video. IF you're accepted via video audition, THEN you can come to the November audition camp.

"...Tuition also covers the education you will receive from our world-class staff. You will gain knowledge of your specific instrument or equipment, a performance mentality and invaluable life skills. The experience of marching with the Madison Scouts will positively affect the rest of your life; it is truly priceless."

So, whats the problem?

This is pretty on par with other corps audition processes. In fact, the video part seems smart to me so that they can weed out most of the hacks and not waste anyones time or money at audition camp.

Also, $2250 is pretty average for a tour fee these days. It's still almost $1000 more than I paid for two years, but still.

Whoa. Hang on. You have to pay money to march drum corps? I am shocked.

Nothing seems "shocking" or "surprising" to me. Sending a video saves people the time/money of coming out to a camp to audition that they have no shot at making. The only unfortunate thing (if you want to start reaching for something "unfortunate) is if someone wants to audition purely for the experience they will not be able to do that. But again, that's looking for something to complain about.

I would bet that the administration is worried about having instruments/room for all of the people who might want to audition based on the hype/new staff. This way their first audition camp will be more controlled and they will have a fairly accurate account of how many people will be there. Logistically this might work out better for them, and if they truly have as many people as expected auditioning (via what some of the people around here who seem to be 'in the know' having bee saying) this is probably the most fair way to control the amount of people coming to audition camps.