Woodwind Transition

I'm in Tampa, FL... so idk.

Teal Sound maybe?

But they are in World Class now I think.

So it sounds like Baritone then.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baritone is the obvious choice. It is heavy, but thats part of playing the instrument. As far as playing goes, baritone is the obvious choice. There are very often holes in baritone lines at the beginning, so they are often looking for more people. And think about how many baritone players there are in high school bands... not very many. Lots of the DCI baritone players are trombone players.

Tuba is another choice... hard to take a tuba to and from camp if you don't have one to practice on at home. As cowton mentioned, there is increased demand for tubas now that the lines have expanded. It's hard to find 14 or 16 good tuba players.

Trumpet has tons of people auditioning, and a mellophone line will often fill the last couple spots with converted trumpet players.

If you can march DCA or open class this year, that will help you a lot.

edit: I played saxophone in college, and baritone in DCI

Edited by soccerguy315

Baritone is the obvious choice. It is heavy, but thats part of playing the instrument. As far as playing goes, baritone is the obvious choice. There are very often holes in baritone lines at the beginning, so they are often looking for more people. And think about how many baritone players there are in high school bands... not very many. Lots of the DCI baritone players are trombone players.

Tuba is another choice... hard to take a tuba to and from camp if you don't have one to practice on at home. As cowton mentioned, there is increased demand for tubas now that the lines have expanded. It's hard to find 14 or 16 good tuba players.

Trumpet has tons of people auditioning, and a mellophone line will often fill the last couple spots with converted trumpet players.

If you can march DCA or open class this year, that will help you a lot.

edit: I played saxophone in college, and baritone in DCI

Tuba is actually easier to deal with than baritone in some ways. Love having that shoulder helping you. Once you've learned to play either, the next obstacle is building your peripheral vision. Both cut your field of view significantly and I've seen tons of crashes early in the season from rookies not used to not seeing other folks coming.

Tuba is actually easier to deal with than baritone in some ways. Love having that shoulder helping you. Once you've learned to play either, the next obstacle is building your peripheral vision. Both cut your field of view significantly and I've seen tons of crashes early in the season from rookies not used to not seeing other folks coming.

Lol.....dont tell a tuba player that the shoulder makes it easier though. Even i can admit that tuba is harder to hold, as a baritone player. Esp. at attention

I'm in Tampa, FL... so idk.

Teal Sound maybe?

But they are in World Class now I think.

So it sounds like Baritone then.

If you want to get your feet wet before jumping into the pool, try out Sun Devils.

http://www.sundevilscorps.org/

Edited by CoHmempho04

Baritone....nothing else comes close. High Brass is tough, and most corps have higher audition numbers for those spots. Tuba is possible, but still tough. Most corps need tuba players, so you never know

By the time you age out you'll be able to play sax. Sit tight.

Hi Everyone,

I am a senior in high school and am in the middle of my 4th year of marching band. I would really love to march corps, but there is one major obstacle in my way...

I PLAY SAXOPHONE.

My question for everyone is: What instrument would be easiest to transition to from saxophone?

No, I have never played brass before.

My director suggested Baritone, others have suggested Mello.

Any input will help.

Thanks.

Wait a couple of years...and play saxaphone.

But, in all seriousness, you could do anything you want. Desire and work ethic are overwhelmingly more important than skills coming in to Day One. Show up and work hard and you'll have plenty of skills by july. If I had to guess, I would say something in the Baritone area might be best.

As much as I love the saxophone my belief is that it has NO PLACE WHATSOEVER IN A DCI SETTING.

I know all of you are joking but I would hate to see that day come.

Edited by sax1210

I don't think they are joking. If you want to march in the next year or so, you will need to learn brass, otherwise saxophone is a definite possibility. I would suggest learing a brass instrument now (or pit), march the next year or so, but be prepared to play sax in the "non-competition" portion of the show. You will be a step ahead of all the other sax players in a few years when they are allowed during the show.

Hi Everyone,

I am a senior in high school and am in the middle of my 4th year of marching band. I would really love to march corps, but there is one major obstacle in my way...

I PLAY SAXOPHONE.

My question for everyone is: What instrument would be easiest to transition to from saxophone?

No, I have never played brass before.

My director suggested Baritone, others have suggested Mello.

Any input will help.

Thanks.

Why punish yourself needlessly and play brass? Pick up a drum and get all the chicks.