Woodwind Transition

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pioneer has made many low brass players out of sax players, and a few mellophone players as well. We have a connection in Florida around Ft. Myers with one of our brass techs and many students from Florida as well. We are also a world class corps that prides itself in teaching students that would otherwise be rejected from the top level corps and make no bones about it. It only takes a desire to want to learn and compete.

PM me with your interest and dont wait until next year when you can do it now. or go to the websitre for more information. www.pioneer-corps.org. The office phoner number is 414 327 2847.

Donny Allen

There is also a very strong possibilty that at some point this upcoming winter we will actually run some mini camps in your area. Last year, my assistant brass caption head ran several audition and teaching camps ands we were successful at reaching 8 horn players that marched the season from Florida. 5 of them were actually brass players and the other 3 were sax players and choir kids that wanted to march and were willing to do we asked of them. By season's end you could not tell which ones they were.

Donny

The Kilties have a terrific representation of reed and wind musicians in our brass ensemble; because after all....bottom line,"it's all about the air". All play either mello, baritone or contra; and quite well.

Hi Everyone,

I am a senior in high school and am in the middle of my 4th year of marching band. I would really love to march corps, but there is one major obstacle in my way...

I PLAY SAXOPHONE.

My question for everyone is: What instrument would be easiest to transition to from saxophone?

No, I have never played brass before.

My director suggested Baritone, others have suggested Mello.

Any input will help.

Thanks.

Honestly, the brass instrument you are best suited to play is determined by your facial make-up.

Size of aperture (smaller aperture = mello/trumpet, larger aperture = baritone/euph/tuba)

Size of lips (really does not matter as much as aperture size, but can affect your playing)

Amount of over/under bite is also important (too much overbite and you will not be as successful on trumpet/mello as you would like, at least not very quickly)

For tuba, how much room do you have between your top lip and your nose?

Yes you can be successful on almost any instrument, but you may be faster on the up-take with certain instruments based on those factors.

The easiest way really to find out which instrument is best suited for you would to be to find a highly successful middle school band director (who has to place people on instruments every year) or a college professor that teaches brass methods and have them take a look at you.

Edited by bluesop08

Baritone yes, but tuba is also needed like its been said, so Id say do tuba, besides as my trumpets agrees the contras are full of epic awsome

Looking at all the replies, I'm going to try to not be redundant...

It would be completely possible to march Pio or Teal Sound in '10. Both corps are completely attainable as a new brass player, as long as you're prepared for auditions and show the potential to succeed.

In terms of what instrument to march, it's totally your choice. I don't see a whole lot of positives in trumpet, mello has the best parts, bari/euph is the easiest to learn and gives you arm muscles, and tuba, if you're up for it, is worth the challenge.

I went from clarinet to baritone. Best choice I've ever made.

Good luck in your search.

I am also a saxophone player by nature. I taught myself Euphonium a couple years ago so that I could march in drum corps and I found the transition to be surprisingly easy! I HIGHLY suggest finding a DCA corps or an open class corps to march with this year! DONT WAIT! I joined Music City Legend Drum and Bugle Corps 2 years ago not being able to play well AT ALL and now I am going to try out for Phantom in less than 2 months. I didn't have the money to audition last year that's the only reason I waited another year. Working my way up with a corps has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my musical ability and I had unbelievable amounts of fun along the way! Don't think that just because it's not one of the "top corps" it's not a great corps. There are a lot of amazing corps that do not get the respect they deserve! so again I say DO NOT wait! Make sure you practice though! Just because you are with a corps doesn't mean you will get good automatically. I wish you the best of luck with your aspirations. i hope it works out for you!

• 9 months later...
I'm in Tampa, FL... so idk.

Teal Sound maybe?

But they are in World Class now I think.

So it sounds like Baritone then.

I live in Jacksonville and think that Teal has come a long way and would be happy to have you (PM me if you would like an introduction to the corps director).

The experience of trying out will be an experience in and of itself - go have fun - heck try many different horns.

Here is an off the wall idea - play cymbals your first year - you may end up being like me and find that they are an awesome experience in and of themselves.

I played cymbals for 6 summers and won by DCI and percussion in my age-out year as part of the famous SCV cymbal line.

Key is to get involved and enjoy the summer tour experience!

Best of luck!

Edited by Joe Salvatore

cymbal or Eb contra canolahorn