Woodwind Transition

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Tampa, FL... so idk.

Teal Sound maybe?

But they are in World Class now I think.

So it sounds like Baritone then.

Sun Devils, just to learn. Teal would be a good place to go from there.

www.sundevilscorps.org

Alto.

I intend on marching a World Class Corps in 2011...I think it is a bit too late for this season since auditions are in a month and a half.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

You'd probably be more used to the mellophone parts. Baritone is easier.

I played alto sax, then switch to baritone. My senior year, I switched to mellophone in MB, but made euph my corps instrument.

The mellophone parts are more "fun" to play.

Why punish yourself needlessly and play brass? Pick up a drum and get all the chicks.

*snort* sorry, just had to. =)

To the OP;

You can learn whatever you put your mind to. I'm a percussion major, but really didn't want to march pit, and had no desire to lug a drum around. I started playing trumpet in August, marching for my college and playing in the lower concert band. I was not the worst trumpet player who showed up for auditions by far, and got to be a part of a pretty cool hornline. It takes practice and dedication, and if you want to keep working on two instruments at once, a whole lot of time managment. If you start now, practice at least a half an hour every day, you could make a WC hornline on pretty much anything by 2011.

Haha its never too late. I picked up a baritone three days before Capital Regiment's January camp and was offered a contract next month in February. Baritone is def the easiest transition instrument. I went from snare :laughing: to baritone :worthy:

Play mellophone so you don't have to switch to bass clef with the baritone. Does the college you plan to go to have a marching band? You may want to consider auditioning on mello/baritone for that as well.

I had a friend who switched from alto sax to baritone. He ended up marching for 5 season b/w two corps. Another friend of mine, just this past year, went from flute to baritone and marched with Teal this summer. She pretty much learned how to play from them, but she made sure to put in a lot of practice in between camps.

Edited by Meaghatron

Play mellophone so you don't have to switch to bass clef with the baritone. Does the college you plan to go to have a marching band? You may want to consider auditioning on mello/baritone for that as well.

switching to bass clef is not that bad... you don't even actually need to know what the notes are, just which buttons to press to get them. I was never solid on fingerings above the staff, always asked someone. You only read music for a small part of the drum corps season.