Am I wrong in thinking this, but...

in the 2009 season, is Crown the first non "Top 6(8)" drum corps to place in the top three in finals?

Now, by "Top 6", I don't mean the top six placing corps in finals, I mean the six drum corps to have ever win a championship (Cadets, BD, SCV, Madison, Cavies, Phantom).

(And, lets not forget about Star of Indiana and Anaheim Kingsmen. If they're included, it would be the "Top 8".)

But out of the "Top 6" that are still active, out of the lists that I've seen of past years of scores and such, even though some of them have placed lower then 6th place in finals, and others have placed within the top 6 placements at finals, I don't ever remember seeing any other drum corps other then these eight place in the top three at finals... untill Crown this year.

Has anyone else thought about this at all, or am I the only one... :blink:

Edited by CitBos

With the help of trusty corpsreps.com -

Prior to 2009, the last time a corps placed in the top 3 that has not since (or before) won a title was 1980. 27th Lancers were #2 and Spirit of Atlanta #3. In the three decades in between, the top 3 were always one of the following: Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV, Phantom, Madison, Cavaliers or Star of Indiana.

Mike

Prior to 2009, the last time a corps placed in the top 3 that has not since (or before) won a title was 1980. 27th Lancers were #2 and Spirit of Atlanta #3. In the three decades in between, the top 3 were always one of the following: Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV, Phantom, Madison, Cavaliers or Star of Indiana.

Mike

In 1980, Spirit was third in prelims but Bridgemen were third in finals.

Off the top of my head, the other corps that have been top-3 that haven't won (and are still active) are Blue Stars and Troopers.

Nice replies gentlemen. 1980 would have been the year. Sadly those corps are now gone (other than Spirit ((of Atlanta)). To answer some of your questions directly .... Yes we've all noticed. YES there are oodles of threads on this subject including "Competitive Inertia".

I think we're all very happy to see a new face at the top ... it's been a long time coming and long overdue.

in the 2009 season, is Crown the first non "Top 6(8)" drum corps to place in the top three in finals?

Now, by "Top 6", I don't mean the top six placing corps in finals, I mean the six drum corps to have ever win a championship (Cadets, BD, SCV, Madison, Cavies, Phantom).

(And, lets not forget about Star of Indiana and Anaheim Kingsmen. If they're included, it would be the "Top 8".)

But out of the "Top 6" that are still active, out of the lists that I've seen of past years of scores and such, even though some of them have placed lower then 6th place in finals, and others have placed within the top 6 placements at finals, I don't ever remember seeing any other drum corps other then these eight place in the top three at finals... untill Crown this year.

Has anyone else thought about this at all, or am I the only one... :blink:

Lots of people have though of it.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=107285

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=110598

I'm sorry to have missed those prior topics, I just don't remember seeing them. Again, sorry.

Mike

Does this include JUST placements at finals? I was just talking about finals... I just don't remember what your talking about.

I never really realized that only 6 active corps have won DCI until I saw it in the OP. I hope that group expands a bit in the near future. I thought that Blue Coats would the next newbie champion, but now it seems to me as though Crown is closer.

I'm sorry to have missed those prior topics, I just don't remember seeing them. Again, sorry.

Does this include JUST placements at finals? I was just talking about finals... I just don't remember what your talking about.

JUNIOR Results for 1980 Show All Junior Corps for 1980

Legion Field Birmingham, Alabama

Position Score Corps

1 90.600 Blue Devils

2 90.250 27th Lancers

3 90.050 Bridgemen

4 89.800 Spirit

5 88.450 Phantom Regiment