Synths Revisited

I don't know about overall simply because I didn't attend enough shows, but Crown's "music box" pause moment where the synth played "Somewhere" was probably one of my favorite moments in DCI this year, and would've been impossible without the use of synthesizers. Good example of great implementation of new equipment.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main issue is the added cost to the Corps. Yes it is true they do not have to use them. But did not a very respected figure in the Drum Corps community once say. That's like having one hand tied behind your back. I know it was about amps but that statement holds true to the synth issue. What was the ROI. In other words. Did the Addition of synths increase or decrease the customer base? If there was an increase in the customer base I would agree the addition of synths was a good addition. If there was an decrease in the customer base I would have to say the addition of synths was not a wise decision. In this economy today with donations down across the board in most non-profits and people pinching penny's. You must really cater to your customer now more then ever.

Dean

comparing the cost of the synths I saw being used ($3,000 to $3,500) to the costs of other instruments...I don't see cost being a major issue. Especially when you consider the cost of tymps, chimes and other instruments. That doesn't even address the storage and transport issues of a synth versus other instruments of any size.

This.

I cannot deal with putting your synth on volume 11 for an RFL chord that is supposed to be all horn line. That is lame. And it sucks. And it ruins the horn line. DON'T DO IT. gah.

Does anyone feel like they will be improved in the 2010 season with a year of experience under their belts?

I think its likely.

Also I was wondering what the attraction to electronic drum kits vs. acoustic was.... I play brass. lol

As far as performance goes, I don't know anybody that has an attraction to / preference for an electronic drum kit. They're fun to screw around with in a practice setting, and if you live in an apartment / shared housing situation (and are loaded and can afford one) they're fun to just plug in the headphones and practice on instead of an acoustic kit (no neighbors calling the police etc.).

There are drummers out there that have a mixed setup with a few electronic drums in the mix (Danny Carey from "Tool" comes to mind) and use them tastefully to add effects... but electronic drumsets are just not acceptable instruments. The feel and response is just not even close to the real thing.

I don't know about overall simply because I didn't attend enough shows, but Crown's "music box" pause moment where the synth played "Somewhere" was probably one of my favorite moments in DCI this year, and would've been impossible without the use of synthesizers. Good example of great implementation of new equipment.

That was my favorite moment this summer as well. I feel like as they went through that phrase and added in the other pit instruments that was pretty brilliant writing as well.

Correct me if Im wrong but I think Crossmen used an electronic set... I cant remember other pits.

There are balance issues with brass and percussion that have been around for centuries.

right but those usually get nailed in the scores

comparing the cost of the synths I saw being used ($3,000 to $3,500) to the costs of other instruments...I don't see cost being a major issue. Especially when you consider the cost of tymps, chimes and other instruments. That doesn't even address the storage and transport issues of a synth versus other instruments of any size.

Interesting. To me, You look at $3,000 to $3,500 as oh well it is just 3-4 thousand dollars or found money for a Corps. I look at it as money that could of been used for capital improvements, and or helping to pay down the Corps debt if they have one. Or money to help promote their home Shows.

Dean

Interesting. To me, You look at $3,000 to $3,500 as oh well it is just 3-4 thousand dollars or found money for a Corps. I look at it as money that could of been used for capital improvements, and or helping to pay down the Corps debt if they have one. Or money to help promote their home Shows.

Dean

I think he was looking at it in relation to the entire expenditure of a corps and in relation to the cost of a particular instrument. It can certainly be argued that whatever was spent (and do any of us actually know what each corps spent on synthesizers?) had more bang per buck than the same expenditure invested in a few pit accessories. Has anyone figured out the amount of money spent on stuff in the pit that isn't covered by corporate sponsorships?