The history of the Westshoremen

But I didn't screw up :) I was having fun and just extended the show by a second :)

Personally, I think the rest of the corps ended early! :tongue: (dontcha hate when that happens!)

Still have yet to hand out a perfect score. Close Twice. Once, because several groups were coming on afterwards- one who had beaten that group perviously on my sheet that season. Had to leave the perfecto opportunity for that group. They just couldn't do it.

The other involved Middle. 99/99 with two groups to go.... 26 groups, tied no one. the way DCA does things now is much improved. having 100/100 to work with means you can avoid ties, they just use the multiplier to give the score the weight it should have. Would have been nice BITD, for Field Brass BITD they could have just taken the 100/100 sheet and multiplied by .4 instead of using an 8 point 40/40 sheet. Go into championships with .8 in the top box total off both sub captions and 9 or so groups all peforming within that set of criteria LOL. It made things... difficult. :lookaround:

Never had a bottom line tie at ACCs. Some sub box ties, but never bottom line.

Can you imagine judging dci Prelims last week? 41 corps

Never had a bottom line tie at ACCs. Some sub box ties, but never bottom line.

Can you imagine judging dci Prelims last week? 41 corps

Never tied at ACC's either. A lot of room to work with the 100/100 sheet.

41 groups- good question. The last time I saw a DCI sheet was in 1996 but I have a guess on one thing that would help in that situation- I think they go down pretty darned far on the bottom. You have a lot more tenths you can work with, the boxes were a lot bigger, some broken down into like 3A, 3B, and 3C for instance that were massively exact and specific. Really good sheets to use if you read them and used them like you were supposed to!

One thing I remember was the bottom box. Something from score 0-6, 0-10. I'd have to look in storage to see if I still have my totes and rundowns from GSC 95 and 96 somewhere, I think I do at my parents. It was this black strip with white letters, "UNREADABLE"... something like that, and served as sort of a warning to not really go there! They may as well have printed a skull and crossbones in there...

With all the room to work, and IF you start people at least roughly (notice I didn't say exactly!) seeded from bottom to top, you can get it done if you have a lot of room to work inside.

DCA BITD did NOT do that. They had some really freaky prelims procedure. I have no idea when it changed, after 1994 I'm certain.

I could be wrong but I do believe the "associate member" corps came on first in a random draw, then the members corps in a random draw, then everyone else in a random draw. It really could and did result in some crazy swings and affected a lot of things IMHO. Combine that with a 40/40 sheet in certain captions and it was difficult at best unless you short sold people and dropped numbers below what was deserved, which isn't right either, especially since you had Sun and Brigs that were pretty darned good and trying to make Finals the one year. IIRC, I think the instructions were for prelims to get people in the right box regardless- try not to tie top three, etc.

The random draw also could give you a real advantage or disadvantage. Say you're the likely 9-10 corps and end up going on after a corps like Empire. Or you're Empire and get to go on after a weaker corps- it might give you that little .1 bump here and there to get you above someone if you're close.

I'm just happy they restructured the whole format. I'd imagine there are some people who think otherwise on DCP and would say it locks people into place, I'd disagree. I know enough of the DCA peeps to know they will make the decision that they think is correct and not mail in a number.

Then again, there was that one year in DCI where they randomized the top 6 draw in finals and the last corps-Madison-won, IIRC beating the first SCV Phantom show? I know people who were there say Madison was totally playing above their heads and the stars and moons aligned, but I do take note they never tried that little experiment again!

I think given Madisons performance they would have won regardless.

the tough thing about ACC's on specials is they could be a box 4 band and and box 2 special ( drums, guard, DM).

so, like I have done, I may have an 18 and changeearly, then several 15's-16's

Then again, there was that one year in DCI where they randomized the top 6 draw in finals and the last corps-Madison-won, IIRC beating the first SCV Phantom show? I know people who were there say Madison was totally playing above their heads and the stars and moons aligned, but I do take note they never tried that little experiment again!

They SHOULD go to seeding! How often has someone jumped someone else at finals? Not TOO often!

Whatever happened to the winner from the prior year getting to go on LAST at finals? I seem to recall something to that effect?!?!

They SHOULD go to seeding! How often has someone jumped someone else at finals? Not TOO often!

Whatever happened to the winner from the prior year getting to go on LAST at finals? I seem to recall something to that effect?!?!

well, a previous winner kinda fell far in 89. Madison went from 1st to 7th.

Well, this year it looks like MBI will go on last at prelims because the bucs show was cancelled for understandable reasons.

There is only one instance where a corps that didn't go on last won the DCA championship.

Oh goodness, I wonder who that corps might be!?!?!? Jeff, I think YOU know! :thumbup:

Rainy day timorriw. Ben, will be in Hummelstown Gamin' if you're up for geekitudinally interesting stuff and need to hang out. :satisfied:

Well, this year it looks like MBI will go on last at prelims because the bucs show was cancelled for understandable reasons.

There is only one instance where a corps that didn't go on last won the DCA championship.

Oh goodness, I wonder who that corps might be!?!?!? Jeff, I think YOU know! :thumbup:

Rainy day timorriw. Ben, will be in Hummelstown Gamin' if you're up for geekitudinally interesting stuff and need to hang out. :satisfied:

Actually the first time that happened was 1986, Bushwackers

As of this moment, I MAY be diving tomorrow...Haven't heard back for sure from my friend....if not, the Mrs. has me pegged for the day! :blink: (God I hope it's not shopping! :doh:

Ben, if you wait long enough tomorrow, you might be able to dive in your back yard.