The history of the Westshoremen

Actually, so do Aussies (we used to do music rehearsal with hats on...Robb Muller had us do that, as well as Robbie when I was with Bucs) Not sure from a horn perspective, but from a drum perspective you can hear some different overtones.

Icarus was a cool tune! (and had some wicked bongo parts in it :thumbup: )

Yeah-- the brims do defect some stuff back. But not as disconcerting, this I know. You didn't have sounds resonating all around your skull with an Aussie.

I was going to get to Icarus, but I'll wait till the Diceman weighs in. I have some good stories about that one, believe me.

It's a Jazz standard, especially back when we did it. I had the pleasure of seeing Jon Faddis play it when I was at WCU around 84-85ish in a small combo setting. What a gas!!!

As I am having the Cincinnati corps do, at every rehearsal. They play and march in the helmets to get used to them. It just made sense to me, to have them do so. :satisfied:

And I had the support staff drill some holes in the tops of the helmets to let some air in, because they are black with black plumes. :tongue:

More than makes sense, Steve. Anyone who's used helmets for the past several years have done it for all the reasons we've mentioned. My guess is that it's a large part as to why why Blue Stars and Blue Coats have done away with them.

And indeed, it they're black, all the more reason so they're accilmated to the heat and other issues. Nothing worse then rehearsing one way-- then you get out on the field that night, are already pumped and excited, and then you realize how HOT your head is, or because you didn't put a kerchief under your helmet or something, sweat's running into your eyes, ears and nose like a river, and stuff sounds different when you're trying to center the pitches on your horn and listen across the ensemble and think clearly.

Speaking of Cincinnati, I was pleased to see your post. No spinny-spin-spin/hype-hype-hype, just the facts, sir, and the facts are all GREAT. An expanded front ensemble with improved instruments, and a nearly full corps personnel-wise. No spin needed to know that if everyone can find the 4-5 folks you need to fill the spots and if everyone has a positive attitude and work ethic, you'll have a STRONG season for your corps. :thumbup:

Yeah-- the brims do defect some stuff back. But not as disconcerting, this I know. You didn't have sounds resonating all around your skull with an Aussie.

I was going to get to Icarus, but I'll wait till the Diceman weighs in. I have some good stories about that one, believe me.

It's a Jazz standard, especially back when we did it. I had the pleasure of seeing Jon Faddis play it when I was at WCU around 84-85ish in a small combo setting. What a gas!!!

I always thought Icarus was a cool tune...it reminded me a little of Pegasus :thumbup:

I thought it was just a nice interlude type tune. I never knew why so many people hated it?!?

Must be a drummer thing then....I DO know that when you put them on, and strapped on a timpani it was MUCH louder :blink: Toms not so bad, but there was a different sound.

I dont remember a different sound with any of the mentioned types of head wear. I just know aussises looked great with long hair, the helmetssuck, and the shakos weren't bad.

but when we slapped on the war paint, with the shakos and the bandannas, we looked bad ###. we scared people

I always thought Icarus was a cool tune...it reminded me a little of Pegasus :thumbup:

I thought it was just a nice interlude type tune. I never knew why so many people hated it?!?

I'll explain more about Icarus, and why it wasn't liked. But the Reader's Digest of why it was so controversial BITD was that it was musical anti-matter to DCA and some of our competitors, particularly the ones who believed things were and SHOULD always be LOUD. VERY LOUD. INCREDIBLY LOUD.

I'll explain more about Icarus, and why it wasn't liked. But the Reader's Digest of why it was so controversial BITD was that it was musical anti-matter to DCA and some of our competitors, particularly the ones who believed things were and SHOULD always be LOUD. VERY LOUD. INCREDIBLY LOUD.

IMO, it was ok, but it took too long to get to the punchline. kind of lost effect in the forever build

Well it WAS DCA?!?! :blink:

No room for finesse...Technically it's "Spa" music...(ever listen to that channel on XM) I went to the Hershey Spa for a chocolate butt rub, or something a while back, and I was listening to the music during my "session" (sadly no happy ending :thumbdown: ) and I could have SWORN that they played Icarus :music: over the music system... IIRC, the tune was by the Paul Winter Consort, and was found in the "environmental/easy listening/new age what have you...Bowser went out and found the album, and it was definitely something to listen to whilst on trendy herbal amusement aids.....Maybe we should have given the judges a "joint break" before the show to get properly "tuned up" for Icarus :tongue:

Well it WAS DCA?!?! :blink:

No room for finesse...Technically it's "Spa" music...(ever listen to that channel on XM) I went to the Hershey Spa for a chocolate butt rub, or something a while back, and I was listening to the music during my "session" (sadly no happy ending :thumbdown: ) and I could have SWORN that they played Icarus :music: over the music system... IIRC, the tune was by the Paul Winter Consort, and was found in the "environmental/easy listening/new age what have you...Bowser went out and found the album, and it was definitely something to listen to whilst on trendy herbal amusement aids.....Maybe we should have given the judges a "joint break" before the show to get properly "tuned up" for Icarus :tongue:

I found a couple of online recordings of it, and yes, it's ambiance music, and very much what we'd call "New Agey" today. Jeff's right, it really doesn't punch anyone in the face- the thing is our version has more oomph than any other version I've heard, LOL.

"LOUD, LOUD, HELLISH LOUD" <$1 to Nate Ward>

And still can remember if that's what he wanted or giving us Hell for losing the tone.

Ben... chocolate tush rub? Glad I swollowed my coffee the whole way before I read that. :blink:

Even see the Robot Chicken "Happy Ending"? Guy says he doesn't want it and girl insists he's getting it. He runs away still wearing the towel and she chases him yelling "Happy Ending" like Nicholson in the Shining. At the end he falls down stairs, breaks both legs and she's saying "Now you get happy ending".... then hands him a fortune cookie. So #### stupid it's funny.... Thank goodness Kris' sense of humor is as sick as mine....