The history of the Westshoremen

Oh, Jeff-- to get back to your Chapter coordinator work, yes- it keep you BUSY.

One of the reasons why is the only real advice I can seriously give you- make sure anyone who bugs you gets a response. Even a "I don't know and will get back to you or get you in touch with someone who can answer your question" response is appreciated and valued.

A little story-

Was staffing a band in "another circuit that is *not* affiliated with a DCI corps" (I'll leave you guess) and the back of the Music performance sheets referred to "intrigue" a LOT. The staff who understood judging also agreed- what the heck was a word most closely associated with Effect doing spattered all over performance sheets!? I wrote a friend of mine who was one of the executives of the circuit asking for a better explanation so I could understand the philosophy and reasoning behind the sheets. NO answer. EVER. NO RESPONSE. Needless to say, it's really lessened my impression of the circuit, in addition to some of the other screwy things about it I observed.

I know you know this with the experience you had in sales and customer service, just a personal thing as to why I understand how flamin' busy with it you must be. :worthy:

I found a couple of online recordings of it, and yes, it's ambiance music, and very much what we'd call "New Agey" today. Jeff's right, it really doesn't punch anyone in the face- the thing is our version has more oomph than any other version I've heard, LOL.

Yeah, we "MADE it ours" :thumbup: But the melody was there...the version I've heard was a bit more ethereal and "airy" :blink:

I just found a 'not so legal' copy of it online...I'm downloading it now....

"LOUD, LOUD, HELLISH LOUD" <$1 to Nate Ward>

And still can remember if that's what he wanted or giving us Hell for losing the tone.

Ben... chocolate tush rub? Glad I swollowed my coffee the whole way before I read that. :blink:

Even see the Robot Chicken "Happy Ending"? Guy says he doesn't want it and girl insists he's getting it. He runs away still wearing the towel and she chases him yelling "Happy Ending" like Nicholson in the Shining. At the end he falls down stairs, breaks both legs and she's saying "Now you get happy ending".... then hands him a fortune cookie. So #### stupid it's funny.... Thank goodness Kris' sense of humor is as sick as mine....

Chocolate butt rub is my "go to" euphemism for anything that goes on at the Hershey Spa...when Lisa first went there when it opened, she brought home a "menu" of sorts, and there was a "chocolate" theme running through it...

Speaking of happy endings....remember the story of the "original" Chumley (Randy Beistline, one of your bari-buddies Jim) in New Orleans? He purportedly paid major dollars for a massage and didn't get a happy ending...but felt WONDERFUL afterwards?!?! :blink:

Edited by Jaminbenb

Speaking of happy endings....remember the story of the "original" Chumley (Randy Beistline, one of your bari-buddies Jim) in New Orleans? He purportedly paid major dollars for a massage and didn't get a happy ending...but felt WONDERFUL afterwards?!?! :blink:

Can't remember Randy, must have been on the other side of the field in those symetric drill days. I remember hearing the story second hand but was told he was a bit "miffed" that he paid "all that money" and all he got was a legal massage. Then again it wouldn't be as good of a story otherwise.

Oh yeah, pretty sure he was underage anyway.....

I should get one (legal that is) as only had the upper body massage once and it helped. Friend of ours from our old church had a massage/yoga business down behind the Governors Mansion. Should check if it's still in business..... Sure it's me but creepied out by a total stranger pawing me up.

Can't remember Randy, must have been on the other side of the field in those symetric drill days. I remember hearing the story second hand but was told he was a bit "miffed" that he paid "all that money" and all he got was a legal massage. Then again it wouldn't be as good of a story otherwise.

Oh yeah, pretty sure he was underage anyway.....

I should get one (legal that is) as only had the upper body massage once and it helped. Friend of ours from our old church had a massage/yoga business down behind the Governors Mansion. Should check if it's still in business..... Sure it's me but creepied out by a total stranger pawing me up.

It all depends upon who's doing the pawing...TRUST me! :rolleyes:

I met him in 1978 through Glenn (Smoothie) I'd be willing to bet that they were on the same side of the field!

Listening to the version of Icarus I downloaded and while it's NOT the version that I heard at the spa, it's pretty true to our version of it in respect to the melody and song structure...I remember hearing it before....

If anyone's looking for it (Jeff, I know you want it for your iPod) it's Paul Winter Consort, and the album's name IS Icarus!

Oh, Jeff-- to get back to your Chapter coordinator work, yes- it keep you BUSY.

One of the reasons why is the only real advice I can seriously give you- make sure anyone who bugs you gets a response. Even a "I don't know and will get back to you or get you in touch with someone who can answer your question" response is appreciated and valued.

A little story-

Was staffing a band in "another circuit that is *not* affiliated with a DCI corps" (I'll leave you guess) and the back of the Music performance sheets referred to "intrigue" a LOT. The staff who understood judging also agreed- what the heck was a word most closely associated with Effect doing spattered all over performance sheets!? I wrote a friend of mine who was one of the executives of the circuit asking for a better explanation so I could understand the philosophy and reasoning behind the sheets. NO answer. EVER. NO RESPONSE. Needless to say, it's really lessened my impression of the circuit, in addition to some of the other screwy things about it I observed.

I know you know this with the experience you had in sales and customer service, just a personal thing as to why I understand how flamin' busy with it you must be. :worthy:

if anything, the membership already hears too much from me. I had the fall schedule for this year set before ACC's, and I'm in the process of finalizing next winter's schedule.

It all depends upon who's doing the pawing...TRUST me! :rolleyes:

I met him in 1978 through Glenn (Smoothie) I'd be willing to bet that they were on the same side of the field!

Listening to the version of Icarus I downloaded and while it's NOT the version that I heard at the spa, it's pretty true to our version of it in respect to the melody and song structure...I remember hearing it before....

If anyone's looking for it (Jeff, I know you want it for your iPod) it's Paul Winter Consort, and the album's name IS Icarus!

I have it. I also have the cd with Appalachain Morning from Crossmen 92.

oh and Jim, you have to remember the Thurston dynamics terms:

ballad ( aka tacet), pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff, RFL, RMFL RRMFL and beat the #### out of the drums.

I'll explain more about Icarus, and why it wasn't liked. But the Reader's Digest of why it was so controversial BITD was that it was musical anti-matter to DCA and some of our competitors, particularly the ones who believed things were and SHOULD always be LOUD. VERY LOUD. INCREDIBLY LOUD.

That's part of the reason I picked it - it was different, plus it rocked!

oh and Jim, you have to remember the Thurston dynamics terms:

ballad ( aka tacet), pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff, RFL, RMFL RRMFL and beat the #### out of the drums.

Understand 'em all... :devil: Where does "IT'S DRUM CORPS" fit into the markings after fff? Inside joke I can't relate in public... Let's just say it's not a compliment and fits into the comments on the judges and Icarus....